Gore Vidal

Old January 5th 05, 06:52 PM
PostScript

Default Gore Vidal

In article d3VCd.704234$nl.1334@pd7tw3no,
"Willow Arune" wrote:

I wrote to Gore Vidal in care of his publisher some months ago. while I
enjoyed the American Empire series very much, for the purposes of my
collection I was more interested in having "Myra Breckenridge" and "Myron"
autographed.

The post brought an envelope from him yesterday! His signature is similar
to that eon the Web, but he seems to have had a stroke (or perhaps it is
just a sign of aging) and the flow is gone.

Such a delight I had to share!!!

Willow

very nice! did you mail the books or bookplates or ?

--
It always comes and finds you - It will always hear you cry
I cross my wooden leg, and I swear on my glass eye
Old January 6th 05, 01:45 AM
Willow Arune

Actually neither. My post simply requested that he sign a notepaper or
personalized pad. He sent along his sig on what I take to be office desk
pad paper, printed with his name. Oh yes, he also addressed the envelope by
hand.

Cool...

Hugs,
Willow

news

Old January 7th 05, 03:22 AM
Mike Berro

A couple decades ago I spent a year or two fervently sending out requests
for signatures, and was pleasantly surprised at how many responded. I even
got a hand-written rejection letter! (tongue-in-cheek, of course.) I suspect
it's even better these days; with the prevalence of email, written
correspondence is probably even rarer, and thus more appreciated.

William Goldman was the only one I really wanted who didn't respond, twice.

---Mike
http://www.booktouronline.com

Old January 7th 05, 07:05 AM
Brian Caldwell

William Goldman was the only one I really wanted who didn't respond,
twice.

You can probably pick up a mint copy of Which Lie Did I Tell signed by him
for the Franklin Library pretty reasonable. You might already have it
though.

Old January 7th 05, 01:58 PM
John Pelan

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 07:55:32 GMT, "Willow Arune"
wrote:

Love your web page - and even found a book I recognize...

A.24 Kai Lung: Six
Six previously uncollected stories. Contains: Introduction by William White,
"The Story of Lam-Hoo and the Reward of Merit", "The Story of Chung Pun and
the Miraculous Peacocks", "The Story of Yeun Yang and the Empty Soo-Shong
Chest", "The Story of Sing Tsung and the Exponent of Dark Magic", "The Story
Kwey Chao and the Grateful Song Bird", and "The Story Li Pao, Lucky Star and
the Intruding Stranger." These were the final six stories published in his
lifetime (all published in Punch magazine), and also the sixth Kai Lung
book. a. Tacoma: The Non-Profit Press, 1974. xii. 58 pp.
On verso of title page: "Of 250 copies for Private Distribution." Issued
with dust wrapper.

This is published by the group that I joined with in 1976 to publish
"Hornblower - One More Time". Heaven only knows where my copy of this book
went - it was given to me as a sample of what the group could do...

This was before computers justified things, and I remember the painstaking
process of putting the text together on a strange little machine. That
fellow was a retired printer, as I recall, living on the Tqacoma waterfront.
Another who assembled the book above was a teacher, in a small house cramed
with books in every room. I met him in a small bookstore in Vancouver, B.C.
on one of my regular visits. They met weekly in a small bar in downtown
Tacoma, near the Mall but not on it, the round table being reserved..

Regards,
Willow

That would be "The Iron Horse" IIRC? An essay about the wonderful
bibliophiles of Tacoma and their small press efforts and their
collections is something that really needs to be written. I couldn't
possibly do justice to the subject, having met Phil and Charlie only a
handful of times but someone really ought to...

Lanthorne Press, The Folly Press, Swan Press... All those wonderful
little chapbooks of work by H. Warner Munn... Phil's collection of
Clark Ashton Smith with several variant manuscript versions of "The
Hashish Eater"... I recall that Phil's collection was immortalized in
print with a chapbook published by Roy A. Squires. With (I believe)
only 100 copies done, it is one of the rarest of the Squires
publications.

Cheers,

John