What are we looking for in 2005?

Old January 4th 05, 05:49 PM

Default What are we looking for in 2005?

John A. Stovall wrote:
Having looked at what treasures 2004 had, what items are looking for
in 2005 and is anyone branching out to new niches.

snip

Have decided to expand my collection about the Vietnam War focusing on
POW materials. I have started with a list from Ed Moise. Mr. Moise has
an extensive bibliography for the Vietnam Conflict. If you are
interested, go to
http://www.clemson.edu/caah/history/...liography.html
Art Layton
Stamford, CT

Old January 5th 05, 03:34 PM
William M. Klimon

"John A. Stovall" wrote in message

Having looked at what treasures 2004 had, what items are looking for
in 2005 and is anyone branching out to new niches.

I should have mentioned that I picked up two signed firsts by Dorothy
Day--*Loaves and Fishes* and *Therese*--to add to my signed first of *From
Union Square to Rome*. Now all I need is a signed copy of *The Long
Loneliness* and any copy of her first book, the autobiographical novel *The
Eleventh Virgin*. (Which reminds me of my biggest miss of all time: about 6
years ago a very beaten-up copy of *The Eleventh Virgin* appeared on eBay.
I didn't care for the condition and didn't realize the book's extreme rarity
(Day destroyed all the copies she could find), so I let it pass by--for c.
$50! The only other copy for sale I've seen since was priced in the low
five figures!)

I'm still hunting my grail quest of H. Beam Pipers', "A Catalogue of
Early Pennsylvania and other Firearms and Edged Weapons at "Restless
Oaks," McElhattan, Pa., Henry W. Shoemaker and H. Beam Piper, Altoona,
PA: Times Tribune Co., 1927, 50 pages"

I may start building a collection around the works Pierre Teilhard de
Chardin and expand my small Merton collection to include some signed
pieces. My Legion collections is suffering due to the terrible Dollar
to Euro rate. I'm may try to get to Corse in April thought for a
Camerone and see what I can turn up in Marseille.

I turned up an early English translation of Teilhard not too long ago and
sent it on to a friend who said he was interested in starting such a
collection. I remember in the early 1980s, when I first started collecting,
Teilhard was everywhere. But the supply seems to have dried up in the last
two decades (although I'm sure you can find them online). John, are you
buying French or English editions? Henri Cardinal de Lubac also wrote a
couple of (maybe three?) books on his fellow French Jesuit--you should look
for those as well.

Good luck with Merton: I'd be surprised if you can find a signed,
non-limited edition piece for less than four figures. The one "signed"
piece I'd thought I had turned out to be a secretarial signature (suspected
by me, confirmed by Paul Pearson, director of the Merton Center at
Bellarmine University, and by Merton's former secretary, Br. Patrick Hart).

I did recently donate a hard-to-find anonymous Merton piece to the Merton
Center: A Monk of Our Lady of Gethsemani [i.e., Thomas Merton], *The Spirit
of Simplicity: Characteristic of the Cistercian Order* (1948).

William M. Klimon
http://www.catholicbookcollector.com (new posting on the most interesting
item I've seen on eBay in a while)