E-Bay Coin Prices

Old May 9th 05, 12:55 AM
James Higby

"Anita" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 May 2005 17:14:34 -0500, wrote:

Thank you for your comment Michael R
I don't need to prove it, this is the place todo it.
Also I keep a close watch on prices, and the markets don't justify most of
there prices.

Which prices are you talking about. Some coins don't bring in any
money, while others do well. We need a little more information about
what you are looking to buy. Most prices I see are reasonable. Many
times I feel bad for the seller because I know a coin went well below
his/her cost.

Anita

I hate to appear impudent, but how do you know the seller's cost?

James

Old May 9th 05, 02:06 AM
Wes Chormicle

The next regularly scheduled meeting of dealers to rob the collectors will
be at my house on the 11th at 7pm. Please don't be late.

Wes

---

Old May 9th 05, 02:13 AM
James Higby

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
hlink.net...

The next regularly scheduled meeting of dealers to rob the collectors will
be at my house on the 11th at 7pm. Please don't be late.

Wes

I'll be unable to attend, but please carry my proxy vote of "YES"

James

Old May 9th 05, 02:16 AM
Bruce Remick

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
hlink.net...

The next regularly scheduled meeting of dealers to rob the collectors will
be at my house on the 11th at 7pm. Please don't be late.

Wes

Are collectors welcome? I might want to become a seller or a dealer one day.

Bruce

Old May 9th 05, 03:16 AM
Anita

On Sun, 8 May 2005 18:55:06 -0500, "James Higby"
heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote:
I hate to appear impudent, but how do you know the seller's cost?

James

If one is familiar with a coin, it's pretty easy to tell. It is easier
if the coin is recent. For example, you know if someone sells a
quarter for a dime (not considering postage), then the seller takes a
loss. This happens quite often with bullion and recent coins when the
seller opens with a low bid. It is a gamble to reduce listing costs,
but often doesn't work out well.

Anita
Old May 9th 05, 03:19 AM
Anita

On Mon, 09 May 2005 01:06:10 GMT, "Wes Chormicle"
wrote:

The next regularly scheduled meeting of dealers to rob the collectors will
be at my house on the 11th at 7pm. Please don't be late.

Wes

I'll bring the chips and beer... and the data on price fixing :-P

Anita
Old May 9th 05, 04:04 AM
James Higby

"Anita" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 May 2005 18:55:06 -0500, "James Higby"
heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote:
I hate to appear impudent, but how do you know the seller's cost?

James

If one is familiar with a coin, it's pretty easy to tell. It is easier
if the coin is recent. For example, you know if someone sells a
quarter for a dime (not considering postage), then the seller takes a
loss. This happens quite often with bullion and recent coins when the
seller opens with a low bid. It is a gamble to reduce listing costs,
but often doesn't work out well.

Anita

I don't know if it still happens, but at one time modern proofs and commems
could regularly be bought for less than issue price from a dealer who had
bought it from an estate or from an owner who just needed to raise funds
quickly. The value that we read in a price guide doesn't necessarily
dictate the price that the seller paid or should have paid for an item. Nor
is it necessarily true that the seller paid 2005 prices for the items he
sells. I recently heard a story of an elderly man who sold a 1901-S quarter
that he had plucked from circulation long ago. Talk about profit!

James

Old May 9th 05, 11:20 AM
Papito

On 8-May-2005, wrote:

It looks like all the sellers have got together, and are trying to robb
the
private collector, and buyer.

That's an interesting take. Mine would be a little different. I seem to
recall that waaaaayyyyyy back in the day, (like 1998 or 1999), coins on Ebay
were selling for a lot more than similar pieces at any coin shop I could
find. Since then, (and I don't have a lot of empirical data to back this
up), it seems to me that coin prices on ebay have come down _relative to
other locations at which I might buy the same coins_. This, coupled with
somewhat higher Ebay fees, and the near ubuquitous nature of PayPal and its
associated fees, has caused a lot of sellers to start coins for their
minimum asking price rather than for some ridiculously low figure, since
they are less able to rely on high ebay final bid prices.

Your mileage may varry.