paper dollar

Old October 2nd 11, 04:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default paper dollar

On Oct 1, 7:09*pm, "Bremick" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

On Oct 1, 5:01 pm, "Bremick" wrote:

"Some Guy" wrote in message

"Bremick" wrote in message

I recall predictions of how the half dollar would become more popular
and
practical as the spending utility of nickels and dimes decreased. Many
people, government included, assume they can envision future attitudes
accurately without the need for a comprehensive study.

The half dollar has been abandoned by the public and the Mint.
Back in the 50's and 60's, they remained in common use,
It seems as soon as silver was finally removed from them, the public
lost
interest in them.

Had to be more than that. There was no longer any silver in the quarter or
dime either. Many seem to agree that the large size of the half dollar
played a role in its fall from favor-- odd that this should suddenly
become
a factor after over 150 years of comfort. In its wisdom, the Congress
apparently ignored the liklihood that the size of the half dollar had
become
unpopular and decided to give us an even larger Eisenhower dollar as an
equal companion to the dollar bill. And it took eight years of public
apathy for them to call a halt.

I'd take exception to the statement that half dollars were in common
use after 1965. *My personal economic memories start about then (and I
started consciously collecting coins as collectibles at the end of
1967 or so), and the only place that you commonly got half dollars was
a laundromat. *One big thing that facilitated my early coin collecting
efforts was that my dad and uncle owned a laundromat for a couple of
years. *After that was sold, my poor old Granny still didn't have a
washer and dryer and she visited the wash house weekly - she was a
great source of 40% Kennedys until those were all pulled out of
circulation and the stupid old clunky 1971 Kennedys were all that was
left.

----------------------
* * I agree, as most do, that the half dollar fizzled after the silver was
removed. * I believe it had to be a merchant-initiated development, since
dispensing halves in change from the register had been fairly common up
until that time. *Merchants simply quit incorporating them in the daily
till, with quarters doing double duty with little public attention. * People
were even content to insert 8-10 quarters, one at a time, into a car wash
without considering it a serious inconvenience.
---------------------

Congress consistently recieved terribly bad advice about coinage
matters under Mint Directors Eva Adams and Mary Brooks and their
higher level bosses in The Treasury. *In my vast personal paranoia, I
now think that there has been a consistent seven-decades long effort
by The Treasury and The Federal Reserve to make the American people
forget that their money was once largely coins consisting of precious
metals. *This effort is a way to "disarm" the American peoples'
ability to protect themselves from the pernicious effects of
intentional currency debasement, and it is just as conscious as the
effort to take away their firearms by convincing them that only
government agents can readily and safely protect them and that they
have no need for personal weapons. *The day of pulling the plug on
many American freedoms approaches and (IMHO) is nigh. *People don't
even know that there really are options to the present system. *The
American "elites" feel that the "sheeple" are too @#!*% stupid, and
they do have a great many examples to point to.

For the record, I always get a few of the new dollars (Prezibucks and
Sackies) and punch them into Dansco albums. *It is a cheap way to
satisfy the old "coin lust" when funds for the "better stuff" is slow
in rolling into my kitty.

-------------------------
I still get a roll of each new pres-dollar at the bank just for the fun of
it. *Cheap way to save and probably comperable to 0.5% bank interest. *I
still have never received a dollar coin in change.
-------------------------

I hadn't chimed in here yet, but there are at least four or five
national examples from the mid-1960s through the 1990s where a
"unit" (or "half-unit") base metal coin didn't circulate until various
countries stopped printing and withdrew the corresponding "unit note"
or "half-unit note" (for the record, most Americans don't know that
the United Kingdom had a very popular Ten Shillings bank note until
the end of the traditional LSD system in 1970; it was withdrawn at the
beginning of the decimalization process about 1967 or so, and thus
allowed the large, odd-shaped Fifty Pence to be a necessary success).
So, America's daft, queer-assed, fairy, gay, elderly numismatic coin
people can @#!*% those base-metal dollar coins out of their orifices
until they're silly and blue in the face and writhing on the sidewalk,
and those base-metal dollar coins still won't circulate. *Nobody cares
what you silly old @#!*% want (and BTW, I'm NOT calling the
esteemed Mr. Remick that). *The Paper Dollar rules in Commerce, and
always will until it is no longer printed. *Period, amen, end of that
topic.

------------------------
Being called a silly old @#!*% is sometimes better than being ignored.
It's the "esteemed" that I would question.
-----------------------

Ask me how I really feel.

oly- Hide quoted text -

Some Guy #1, Some Guy #2, Some Guy #3 and Some Guy #4 are trying to
firm up even as I type. Butt, Busch Bavarian works against this
process.

Until tommorow morning, when developments are likely to be a-commode-
ated, bon soir.

oly
Old October 2nd 11, 01:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Some Guy[_2_]

"oly" wrote in message
Some Guy #1, Some Guy #2, Some Guy #3 and Some Guy #4 are trying to firm up
even as I type. Butt, Busch Bavarian works against this process.

That's the spirit - be proud of your alcoholism!
Say it loud "I'm a drunk and I'm proud!"

Old October 2nd 11, 02:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Oct 2, 7:55*am, "Some Guy" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

Some Guy #1, Some Guy #2, Some Guy #3 and Some Guy #4 are trying to firm up
even as I type. *Butt, Busch Bavarian works against this process.

That's the spirit - be proud of your alcoholism!
Say it loud "I'm a drunk and I'm proud!"

You showed up this morning, right on time. oly
Old October 2nd 11, 05:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Bremick wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message
Bremick wrote:

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message
Bremick wrote:

"Some Guy" wrote in message

"Bremick" wrote in message
And Americans have not been getting on quite well with their
system?

Didn't say they weren't, you curmudgeonly old reprobate.

Ha ha. So what was your point then? We should change simply because
Canadians gradually came to accept a change? Grrrr.

No, we should change because it makes economic sense.

JAM

Here I thought that not minting unneeded dollar coins for the past
decades
would have made economic sense.

Not printing unneeded paper dollars makes sense.

JAM

Along with a couple other Americans, I don't understand your contention that
paper dollars are unneeded. Have you ever taken a look at the growing
number of pallettes of dollar coins in warehouses? Ever wonder why those
"unneeded" dollar bills wear out so quickly?

Do you know why is was decided to replace dollar bills with dollar
coins?

JAM
Old October 2nd 11, 06:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Bremick wrote:

"Some Guy" wrote in message

"Bremick" wrote in message
[...]

JAM- Hide quoted text -

To get to the other side?

oly
Old October 2nd 11, 09:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

Bremick wrote:

"Some Guy" wrote in message

"Bremick" wrote in message
[...]

Have you any evidence that there was a decision to use dollar coins to
replace dollar bills? Isn't it odd that production of dollar bills wasn't
suspended in order to support your contention-- forty years now and running?

Old October 3rd 11, 01:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Bremick wrote:

"Some Guy" wrote in message

"Bremick" wrote in message
[...]

I think we covered this earlier in the thread?

JAM
Old October 3rd 11, 01:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

Bremick wrote:

"Some Guy" wrote in message

"Bremick" wrote in message
[...]

Is that the only comment you can come up with on my two questions? I asked
where you got your information claiming "it was decided to replace dollar
bills with dollar coins". Who decided this and when? I could understand
the logic, but I see no signs that such a decision was ever made by anyone
who could have implemented it. At best, I could buy an attempt to
"supplement" dollar bills with a dollar coin (Ike dollar), but not to
totally replace the bills.

Old October 6th 11, 06:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Barney

"Some Guy" wrote in :

When piggy's tummy gets full, he and I take a trip to the CoinStar
machine to get folding money.
Piggy seems to like the attention he gets from the cashiers in the
supermarket where the CoinStar is located.

Coinstar really likes the attention of your coins to the tune of 10%.

Barney