Safe ink for Pelikan

Old August 6th 03, 04:30 PM
Messer

Default Safe ink for Pelikan

hi
I recently bougth Pelikan 250 pen, I really enjoy it and I want to
keep it in good condition a long a possible but I heard that some inks
can stain the Pelikans' tranparent "window". Pelikan itself says that
the most suitable ink for their pen is their "4001" (what else could
they say, really , but I don't like blue 4001- it's somewhat
watery, too light- is it because of weak saturation? Is there some
deep blue, Pelikan-friendly ink?
Old August 6th 03, 05:45 PM
marlinspike

I use Parker Quink blue in my Pelikan 200 translucent with no staining. But
what color is the window on yours? If it's green, I don't know if that will
really ever get stained. My dad had a Pelikan 120 since 1960 or so and he
would just use whatever ink he had. It isn't stained yet.
Richard
"geert" wrote in message

"Messer" wrote
om...
hi
I recently bougth Pelikan 250 pen, I really enjoy it and I want to
keep it in good condition a long a possible but I heard that some inks
can stain the Pelikans' tranparent "window". Pelikan itself says that
the most suitable ink for their pen is their "4001" (what else could
they say, really , but I don't like blue 4001- it's somewhat
watery, too light- is it because of weak saturation? Is there some
deep blue, Pelikan-friendly ink?

No no, you can safely use whatever ink you want as long as it's fountain

pen
ink (other inks can and will damage your pen). That Pelikan ink is better
for a Pelikan pen is pure baloney.

Watery is good, it will clog or stain less than intense inks. That's why I
prefer Parker Quink and Sheaffer Skrip.
Strangely enough, there have been a few complaints about Pelikan ink in

the
group

(http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=n...ikan+ink&btnG=
Google+zoeken&meta=).

Geert

Old August 6th 03, 09:02 PM
kcat

On 6 Aug 2003 08:30:10 -0700, (Messer) wrote:

hi
I recently bougth Pelikan 250 pen, I really enjoy it and I want to
keep it in good condition a long a possible but I heard that some inks
can stain the Pelikans' tranparent "window". Pelikan itself says that
the most suitable ink for their pen is their "4001" (what else could
they say, really , but I don't like blue 4001- it's somewhat
watery, too light- is it because of weak saturation? Is there some
deep blue, Pelikan-friendly ink?

just about any ink that is made for a fountain pen.

Pelikans are my preferred modern pens. I have several 200s (the only
difference being the 250 nib is gold vs. stainless and I prefer
stainless) and I have a 400. All have had steady diets of Private
Reserve inks, Levenger Inks, Pelikan Blue-Black, Waterman inks, OMAS,
Aurora...

i'm sure there are others but off-hand I can't remember all the brands
I've used. Skrip and Quink are often touted as the "safe" inks but
i've not had any problem with staining from any of the other brands.

There are numerous lovely blues out there that could be used. I
highly recommend checking out the Writing Desk and their ink swatches
on-line. Of course, your monitor settings won't necessarily give you
the "true" colour but it will be close and you will at least have a
starting point.

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/

just click on one of the various brands and scroll down.

another source of samples is http://www.pendemonium.com/ink_chart.htm

Levenger Cobalt Blue is a very dark blue - i've heard stories of it
smearing and "never drying" but thus far the only time that happened
to me was when I didn't realize the ink remaining in the pen was
highly concentrated in the feed having run out otherwise. But if
you're looking for brighter blues check out Private Reserve. J.
Herbin has a new blue called Sapphire I believe. it looks quite nice.
Aurora Blue has a strong following - it's a fairly dense blue with
purple tone. great ink with good flow.

a couple of warnings - Private Reserve "Blue Suede" isn't. It's a
dark teal and much more green than blue. The PR "Naples" blue sample
on TWD site looks darker than it really is - Naples is a turquoise
slightly darker than Waterman South Seas blue. I have not yet seen
the DC Supershow Blue PR in person so can't say but some people seem
to like it.

good luck!

Old August 7th 03, 12:40 AM
Nancy Handy

Messer wrote:
I recently bougth Pelikan 250 pen, I really enjoy it and I want to
keep it in good condition a long a possible... Pelikan itself says that
the most suitable ink for their pen is their "4001" ....but I don't like
blue 4001-

Is there some deep blue, Pelikan-friendly ink?

Shhh... don't let the pen hear you.
No, there isn't. You must learn to like Pelikan ink. If you don't, you
shouldn't have bought the pen.

See the warnings that came with your new Pelikan pen:
"Use only Pelikan ink or the pen can spontaneously combust. Also, using
any other brand ink voids the warranty. Other inks can gum up the entire
inner workings of the Pelikan. It's a fussy pen prone to outbursts. Do
not yell at your Pelikan. Do not taunt or tease your Pelikan. If pen
starts to glow - discontinue use, duck and run for cover. Your Pelikan
pen was made from an unknown substance that fell to earth in a meteor.
Enjoy your new Pelikan pen."

Nancy

Old August 7th 03, 04:56 AM
Ron Wilbanks

I used Waterman "Florida Blue" and Aurora Blue and have no problems with
staining and I really love the color of the later the best. If you like
a smooth all around blue, then go with Waterman.

--
Sincerely yours,

Ron Wilbanks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Spam filter: -1 for the real thing!

Old August 7th 03, 07:10 PM
Juan

kcat wrote in message . ..
[...]

I have a question about Private Reserve inks and the names of their
inks. Some of the names (namely: daphne blue, foam green, shell pink,
lake placid blue, fiesta red, shoreline gold and sherwood green) were
used (wih the same names OC) by Fender- the guitar maker company- from
1954 to 1965. It is said that dupont made the dyes of those finishes
(those colours were used in different car finishes from that era too).
Is it the same with private reserve inks/dyes?. I'm saying this
because i have read some critics on these inks, and perhaps they are
using dyes which are not intended to be used in fountain pens.
I'm just wondering, Frank, any idea on this?

Juan
Old August 7th 03, 10:03 PM
marlinspike

On the subject of ink names, I noticed some of Fahrney's inks (which are
supposedly made for them only) have the same names as some PR inks. Did
Fahrney's start outsourcing to PR?
Richard
"Juan" wrote in message
om...

. ..

Old August 8th 03, 12:08 AM
kcat

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:44:58 -0400, Tom Morley
wrote:

marlinspike wrote:
On the subject of ink names, I noticed some of Fahrney's inks (which are
supposedly made for them only) have the same names as some PR inks. Did
Fahrney's start outsourcing to PR?
Richard

Well, they must be out sourcing from someone. Does anyone know? Who
makes Fahrney's inks?

PR
Old August 8th 03, 12:21 AM
kcat

On 7 Aug 2003 11:10:27 -0700, (Juan) wrote:

I have a question about Private Reserve inks and the names of their
inks. Some of the names (namely: daphne blue, foam green, shell pink,
lake placid blue, fiesta red, shoreline gold and sherwood green) were
used (wih the same names OC) by Fender- the guitar maker company- from
1954 to 1965. It is said that dupont made the dyes of those finishes
(those colours were used in different car finishes from that era too).
Is it the same with private reserve inks/dyes?. I'm saying this
because i have read some critics on these inks, and perhaps they are
using dyes which are not intended to be used in fountain pens.
I'm just wondering, Frank, any idea on this?

Juan

most of the criticism of this ink is that they are "gunky" which
translates to some as being sluggish in flow or potentially clogging
feeds etc. I've been using them for some time now and have had no
problems. Some say "Sherwood Green" never dries. A friend of mine has
tried to smear it and could not. PR did have some problems with some
of their inks creating globs and they have been very responsive to
their customers both in replacing bottles with problems and with
working on new chemical composition that will not cause the blobs.
I'm sure others will have their opinions on the safety of these inks.
As I said in previous post - I use them in all of my pens (with the
exception of my 1930s Bantam) and have not had any staining or other
problems.

as far as the naming - i've heard something about this before on
Pentrace as far as the connection with Fender. If you don't get any
answers here on the matter, perhaps someone on Pentrace could help.

best,
kcat
Old August 8th 03, 03:15 AM
David Heverly

Tom Morley wrote in message ...
marlinspike wrote:
On the subject of ink names, I noticed some of Fahrney's inks (which are
supposedly made for them only) have the same names as some PR inks. Did
Fahrney's start outsourcing to PR?
Richard

Well, they must be out sourcing from someone. Does anyone know? Who
makes Fahrney's inks?

Private Reserve makes private label inks for Fahrney's and Bexley Pens.

David
Who read this on G. Clarks Ink Sampler web site.