20th Anniversary... on the 21st anniversary?

Old August 31st 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

Default 20th Anniversary... on the 21st anniversary?

Someone explain to me how we had the 20th anniversary SAE's come out last
year and now we have the 20th Anniversry coins come out in 2006.

I just don't get it!

Jonathan_ATC

Old August 31st 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour

Jonathan_ATC wrote:
Someone explain to me how we had the 20th anniversary SAE's come out
last year and now we have the 20th Anniversry coins come out in 2006.

Did the mint call it the "20th anniversary" last year? Or did they
refer to it as the 20th year of the program?

2006 is clearly the 20th anniversary. But 2005 was the 20th year of the
program.

--
Jim Seymour
Old August 31st 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jonathan_ATC

"Jim Seymour" wrote in message
Jonathan_ATC wrote:
Someone explain to me how we had the 20th anniversary SAE's come out
last year and now we have the 20th Anniversry coins come out in 2006.

Did the mint call it the "20th anniversary" last year? Or did they
refer to it as the 20th year of the program?

2006 is clearly the 20th anniversary. But 2005 was the 20th year of the
program.

--
Jim Seymour

I'm dense. Please explain. The first coin came out in 1986. 20 years
later, 2005, is the 20th anniversary of the coin. What am I not getting?
The TPG's slabbed 20th Anniversary coins LAST year.

Jonathan_ATC

Old August 31st 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour

Jonathan_ATC wrote:
I'm dense. Please explain. The first coin came out in 1986. 20
years later, 2005, is the 20th anniversary of the coin. What am I
not getting? The TPG's slabbed 20th Anniversary coins LAST year.

Consider wedding anniversaries. If you were married in 1986 (which,
coincidentally, I was), then 2006 would be your 20th anniversary.

My wife and I went to Maui *this* year, not last. :-)

Put another way: The Nth anniversary of any event is the start of year
#N+1. So, the TPG's were right to celebrate the 20th year/coin of the
series - but wrong if they called it the 20th "anniversary" of the program.

--
Jim Seymour
Old August 31st 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

Jonathan_ATC wrote:
Someone explain to me how we had the 20th anniversary SAE's come out
last year and now we have the 20th Anniversry coins come out in 2006.

Did the mint call it the "20th anniversary" last year? Or did they
refer to it as the 20th year of the program?

2006 is clearly the 20th anniversary. But 2005 was the 20th year of the
program.

--
Jim Seymour

I'm dense. Please explain. The first coin came out in 1986. 20 years
later, 2005, is the 20th anniversary of the coin. What am I not getting?
The TPG's slabbed 20th Anniversary coins LAST year.

Jonathan_ATC

The mint forgot to sell you $35 worth of silver for $100 last year, so
they decided to use "fuzzy math" and do it to everyone this year.

Old August 31st 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
reality

Jim Seymour wrote:
Jonathan_ATC wrote:
I'm dense. Please explain. The first coin came out in 1986. 20
years later, 2005, is the 20th anniversary of the coin. What am I
not getting? The TPG's slabbed 20th Anniversary coins LAST year.

Consider wedding anniversaries. If you were married in 1986 (which,
coincidentally, I was), then 2006 would be your 20th anniversary.

My wife and I went to Maui *this* year, not last. :-)

Put another way: The Nth anniversary of any event is the start of year
#N+1. So, the TPG's were right to celebrate the 20th year/coin of the
series - but wrong if they called it the 20th "anniversary" of the program.

--
Jim Seymour

They called the 1995W the SAE 10th Anniversary.

Old August 31st 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian Blackwell

link.net...
Jonathan_ATC wrote:
Someone explain to me how we had the 20th anniversary SAE's come out
last year and now we have the 20th Anniversry coins come out in 2006.

Did the mint call it the "20th anniversary" last year? Or did they
refer to it as the 20th year of the program?

2006 is clearly the 20th anniversary. But 2005 was the 20th year of the
program.

--
Jim Seymour

I'm dense. Please explain. The first coin came out in 1986. 20 years
later, 2005, is the 20th anniversary of the coin. What am I not getting?
The TPG's slabbed 20th Anniversary coins LAST year.

Jonathan_ATC

1986 was the first coin. 1987 (one year later) is the first anniversary of
that coin.

Old August 31st 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour

reality wrote:
They called the 1995W the SAE 10th Anniversary.

ugh. You're right.

Of course, the mint's not one to let facts get in the way of a good
marketing program.

Perhaps they were celebrating the 10th anniversary of the legislation
authorizing the coins. yeah. that's the ticket...

--
Jim Seymour
Old September 1st 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Slime Lowlife

Jonathan_ATC wrote:
Someone explain to me how we had the 20th anniversary SAE's come out
last year and now we have the 20th Anniversry coins come out in 2006.

Did the mint call it the "20th anniversary" last year? Or did they
refer to it as the 20th year of the program?

2006 is clearly the 20th anniversary. But 2005 was the 20th year of the
program.

--
Jim Seymour

I'm dense. Please explain. The first coin came out in 1986. 20 years
later, 2005, is the 20th anniversary of the coin. What am I not getting?
The TPG's slabbed 20th Anniversary coins LAST year.

Jonathan_ATC

The mint forgot to sell you $35 worth of silver for $100 last year, so
they decided to use "fuzzy math" and do it to everyone this year.

Sure--what with inflation & all, it's actually CHEAPER this year than
last, so it's a better deal, isn't it?
Old September 1st 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
ronrpk

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 15:11:13 -0700, Jim Seymour
wrote:

Jonathan_ATC wrote:
I'm dense. Please explain. The first coin came out in 1986. 20
years later, 2005, is the 20th anniversary of the coin. What am I
not getting? The TPG's slabbed 20th Anniversary coins LAST year.

Consider wedding anniversaries. If you were married in 1986 (which,
coincidentally, I was), then 2006 would be your 20th anniversary.

Hey Jim,,,, coincidentally I was married in 1986 also.
Congratulations.

Never even connected it to the SAEs till now.

My wife and I went to Maui *this* year, not last. :-)

Ah oh,,, not taking the wife to Maui,,,, I think I'm in trouble.

-- Ron K