1944 Who's Who, Macmillan (3060 pp)

Old July 6th 04, 12:49 PM
Martin Elliget

Default 1944 Who's Who, Macmillan (3060 pp)

Hi.

I picked up a 1944 Who's Who (New York, The Macmillan Company, 3060 pp) for
AUD$10 at a 2nd hand bookshop closing down sale today. The sale is in it's
last days, so all books were going for $10 or less, even the old and rare
(though I presume most of these were quickly snapped up). I'm a little
confused as to the market value of this book. Pencilled inside the front
cover is $550 and word "scarce", so I was pretty chuffed to get it for $10.
However, checking a few websites (e.g BookFinder, abebooks, etc.), copies of
this book around the same year (couldn't find the exact years) were selling
for anywhere between AUD$20 and AUD$100, nowhere near the $550 mark. Is it
possible the 1944 edition was a particular rare one, as indicated by price
and pencil note made by the bookshop, perhaps because of the limited
resources at the time? Apart from a tear in the spine, the book is in very
good condition, tight and square. Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Martin

Old July 6th 04, 08:42 PM
Art Layton

"Martin Elliget" wrote in message ...
[...]

I think your purchase price represents marke value today.

Art Layton
Stamford CT
Martin