Please, Name a no-skip everyday writer FP; M or B nib; piston..

Old August 27th 04, 12:47 AM
Bluesea

"Mike Dee" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

Could you name a non-exorbitantly priced,
'foolproof' (=non-skipping) fountain pen for
everyday writing use?

Piston filling or some such thing for using
bottled ink would be a bonus, as would a
medium or broad nib.

I am not a collector, but just a bloke who
likes to write with real pen, that (should)
flow easily.

I have had some four dollar scratchers that
are about as comfortable for writing as a nail,
plus - as an ill-advised purchase - a MB Meister-
stuck (Ha! Some Master we have there..) that is
less comfortable than the aforementioned nail;
due to persistent, fanatic and incurable skipping.

(It's been at MB twice for repairs; I am too tired
to take that path ever again with that thing.)

Someone here spake highly of some Filcao pens,
Tukano? Everwriter? And did I read something good
here about Waterman Phileas?

Are those comments one-offs or received wisdom
among the participants of this list?

The looks makes no difference, the price does
somewhat, but the most important thing would
be the easily flowing text (read: ink).

If price were no object I'd pick Waterman
Edson; tried it once in some pen shop in
Piccadilly Arcade and it was just supernatural
- as was and is the price.

The everyday writer should happily probably fit in
the US$/EUR 50-150 slot. Or below it.

So what is the Honda Civic or Toyota Camry of
fountain pens?

Mike

My recommendations (all come w/ converters for use w/ bottled ink unless
noted otherwise, prices are USD, list as I remember them, discounts
available):

1. rOtring Core, $25 - discontinued but still available from retailers as
low as $19
2. Lamy Safari/Vista/Al-Star, $25-35 depending on finish, converter is extra
3. Waterman Kultur - available in Europe, it's the same as the Phileas
except it's not brass-lined, has different finishes, and is less expensive
4. Waterman Phileas, $42.50 - I found older model for $22.50
5. Pilot Ecrino, $60 - discontinued but available from retailer for $29,
converter is extra
6. Pilot Vanishing Point, $125
7. Parker Sonnet, $125 - $225, depending on finish.

HTH.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old August 27th 04, 01:06 AM
Bluesea

"Bluesea" wrote in message

My recommendations (all come w/ converters for use w/ bottled ink unless
noted otherwise, prices are USD, list as I remember them, discounts
available):

1. rOtring Core, $25 - discontinued but still available from retailers as
low as $19
2. Lamy Safari/Vista/Al-Star, $25-35 depending on finish, converter is

extra
3. Waterman Kultur - available in Europe, it's the same as the Phileas
except it's not brass-lined, has different finishes, and is less expensive
4. Waterman Phileas, $42.50 - I found older model for $22.50
5. Pilot Ecrino, $60 - discontinued but available from retailer for $29,
converter is extra
6. Pilot Vanishing Point, $125
7. Parker Sonnet, $125 - $225, depending on finish.

I'm particularly fond of the Namiki Falcon but you'll have to find a
discount to get it w/i the range you stated.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old August 27th 04, 02:44 AM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Vic Drastik wrote:
Read this page

http://pw1.netcom.com/~danhle/home.html

Two of the pens on his page form part of my 3-pen daily entourage,
specifically the Namiki Vanishing Point and the Recife Crystal (which
Swisher has for $67.50).

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://deirdre.org/blog/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old August 27th 04, 05:36 PM
svejk

The Lamy 2000 doesn't get the attention it deserves. While it is the
pen I hate to love, I do love mine. Great writers and geat quality.
Wonderful nibs. My BB writes as well as my FF. (Whats the point of
having extremes if you never go there?)

For that matter, the Lamy 2000 might be up your alley. . .

Old August 27th 04, 05:55 PM
morten

So what is the Honda Civic or Toyota Camry of
fountain pens?

Mike

Sheaffer Prelude.

I love my Prelude as a daily pocket pen. But it never gets favourable
mention on boards like this? Why not?
Old August 27th 04, 06:26 PM
Sonam Dasara

svejk wrote:
The Lamy 2000 doesn't get the attention it deserves. While it is the
pen I hate to love, I do love mine. Great writers and geat quality.
Wonderful nibs. My BB writes as well as my FF. (Whats the point of
having extremes if you never go there?)

For that matter, the Lamy 2000 might be up your alley. . .

It's an excellent pen and has been part of my daily rotation since the
late 70's... I recently had Richard Binder regrind its nib to a cursive
italic, and it's better than ever.

--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully
as when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal, Pensees, No. 894 (1670)

dovekeeper+at+electric-ink+dot+com

Old August 28th 04, 03:45 AM
John Smythe

Levenger.com is currently offering a blue Pelikan m605 with a ceramic
Pelican stand for $149.95 plus S&H. I use one as an everyday writer and
although I have other pens in rotation including Parker 51's and Lamy's, I
keep coming back to it as my favorite. Mine is outfitted with a fine nib. It
is a piston filler and holds a generous 1.3 ml of ink. It is very light and
fits comfortably in the hand. I would rate it as a "Best Buy".

Old August 28th 04, 05:46 PM
Bluesea

"morten" wrote in message
m...

Sheaffer Prelude.

I love my Prelude as a daily pocket pen. But it never gets favourable
mention on boards like this? Why not?

Because our mileages vary?

I tried a Prelude in a store, but it wasn't comfortable to hold from the
get-go so, I bought a Sheaffer Javelin and a Cross ATX instead. I enjoy the
ATX but, the Javelin cramps my hand after awhile so, it got set aside with
the other pens that I don't use.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old August 30th 04, 04:57 AM
Free Citizen

Sheaffer Prelude is a good pen. I have two of them. Writes smooth and wet.
The problem with me is that I tend to hold my pens high and the Prelude does
not have a flushed profile where the section meets the barrel.

--
Best regards,
Free Citizen

m...