Finally, a decent modern!

Old August 14th 03, 01:18 AM
Robert Chin

Default Finally, a decent modern!

"cbnmd" wrote in message
om...

Glad you found a pen you're happy with, but many of the modern pens are
decent, and many do stink. I've owned fountain pens for only a few years
now and all of mine are modern.

The good to great pens I own a

Aurora Mare - Excellent from the start, smooth writing

Parker Duofold Centennial - Stiff nib, nice line, nice size and feel

Waterman Expert - Lower cost pen of the ones I own, reliable, nice line,
looks sharp.

The okay to slightly disappointing:

Ancora Lusso - Great writer after having the section replaced because it was
cracked, and the nib reworked because it was a mess.

Waterman Carene - Great writer, but leaks around the nib!

Omas Red Lacquer - Fickle, but a nice soft feel when it's writing

Pilot Vanishing Point - Clever pen but needs adjustment, skips.

I know that there are others out there that people like a lot too. I'm
headed to NYC to the Fountain Pen Hospital next week, looking to enlarge my
collection by one. Any suggestions?

Old August 15th 03, 12:32 PM
cbnmd

"Robert Chin" wrote in message ...
"cbnmd" wrote in message
om...

Glad you found a pen you're happy with, but many of the modern pens are
decent, and many do stink. I've owned fountain pens for only a few years
now and all of mine are modern.

The good to great pens I own a

(snipped)

Glad to hear about your modern pen collection, which is quite nice. I
hope you continue to have good luck with them as I hope the same of my
pens. However, I'd like to try and stay on track here with my
original post. Any thoughts out there about why these mini versions
seem to be better in performance and quality/durability compared to
the larger pens from the same companies?? By the way, I don't think
it is just coincidence and good luck. I know I may get some replies
by people who have experienced the opposite, but I am willing to bet
there are more people out there who had experiences similar to mine.
I've already gotten 5 e-mails supporting my post and 6 other friends
who have smaller fountain pens and also agree. I'm not endorsing any
one company. I'm just curious as to why this may be true. Also, I'm
not talking about writing comfort. It is inherently obvious that the
smaller pens b/c of their size would be uncomfortable for some. I'm
talking about a possible physical or manufacturing reason. Are the
manufacturers keeping the same thickness of materials for the smaller
size, thus making a more durable product? Is the material compensation
for the small size (in order to maintain writing balance, etc.)
contributing to better overall stability in these pens?

Chris

Finally!!! Monday, 5/24/04 Joe Autographs 2 May 25th 04 12:30 AM
Finally Got Me a Jukebox Texas Steven Juke Boxes 6 December 28th 03 05:29 AM
FS: Seeburg 222 working and in decent condition in NJ. Calergin Juke Boxes 1 December 11th 03 09:33 PM
whew.....finally! hydman3 Autographs 0 September 24th 03 02:18 AM
Anything decent at regular office supply stores? kcat Pens & Pencils 1 August 1st 03 05:12 PM