Microprinting etc on US stamps

Old December 4th 03, 11:24 PM
Grandpa

Default Microprinting etc on US stamps

The subject has become rather amusing as of late. Noting that I could
not find any one source that had a list of US stamps containing
microprinting, hidden images/indicia and luminescence/phosphoresence,
I've spent the better part of two days compiling one. My sources are
Linn's Stamp News (Dec 31, 2001 & Dec 1, 2003) and the Internet with my
trusty Google search engine. At this point I've found 308 US stamps
that fall into this catagory. Sounds like a fun adventure to assemble a
collection of them, perhaps with a notation on what particular
characteristic each one has. It would appear that there are a number of
non-US stamps with some form of these same attributes on them, however
since my main interests are the US and Canada, I didn't compile anything
but US data. I'll do Canada at another time. I've not verified each
stamp, just collected the data so its possible there might be an error
or two. By the same token, its just as likely that some stamps not
listed that have these attributes.

If anyone is interested in the list, let me know and I'd be glad to
email it to you as either a Word document or a text file.

Old December 4th 03, 11:36 PM
Rein Bakhuizen van den Brink

dear Grandpa,

I would be more that pleased to see a text file with
your list...

gtx, Rein

P.S.

replace the last consonant before the @ by a 'n' in my e-mail-address,
otherwise your message won't reach me [anti-spam measure ]

.

Old December 5th 03, 12:40 AM
Rodney

| If anyone is interested in the list, let me know and I'd be glad to
| email it to you as either a Word document or a text file.

Yes please Grandpops.
Text file preferable.

Thanks

Old December 5th 03, 05:30 PM
Tom Loepp

Grandpa,
I would be interested in a text version.
thanks,
Tom Loepp

--
Thomas Loepp
Email:

Old December 5th 03, 06:10 PM
Bob Ingraham

12/5/2003 8:30 AM

Grandpa,
I would be interested in a text version.
thanks,
Tom Loepp

Roy Lingen has suggested that Gramps write an article for Stamporama, with
illustrations. I hope that he does. (You don't have to be a Stamporama
member to read the articles; just go to http://www.stamporama.com/rambler.

Bob

Old December 6th 03, 01:36 AM
Grandpa

There ya go, BTW, I think the Special Olympics Scott 3769 fits here too
but not sure which catagory.

kevin wrote:

me please

kk
"Rodney" wrote in message

| If anyone is interested in the list, let me know and I'd be glad to
| email it to you as either a Word document or a text file.

Yes please Grandpops.
Text file preferable.

Thanks

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Listing of US stamps with hidden Images, microprinting/indicia or luminescense/phosphorescence.

I've done my best to assemble from the Internet and several other sources, this list. If you find errors or additional stamps that need to be added, please email me at jsdeboo@comcast net so I can update it. Thanx...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++

These stamps include the feature of hidden images within the stamp itself. You'll need a $5.95 'Decoder' from the USPS to see them.

Scott 3036 - Red Fox - lower-left corner of the design is a small trotting fox
Scott 3206 - Wisconsin Statehood - picture of a badger
Scott 3230 - Dog - bone and doghouse
Scott 3231 - Fish - bubbles coming out its mouth
Scott 3232 - Cat - paw and mouse
Scott 3233 - Parakeet - birdcage
Scott 3234 - Hamster - exercise wheel
Scott 3238 - Space City - large spacecraft, small spacecraft, and figure.
Scott 3239 - Space Ship Landing - small spacecraft.
Scott 3240 - Person in Space Suit - small spacecraft.
Scott 3241 - Space Ship Ascending - small spacecraft.
Scott 3242 - Large Domed Structure - small and large spacecrafts.
Scott 3321 - Skateboard "GNARLY" (may be microprinting instead)
Scott 3322 - BMX Biking "RAD" (may be microprinting instead)
Scott 3323 - Snowboarding "SWEET" (may be microprinting instead)
Scott 3324 - InLine Skating "PHAT" (may be microprinting instead)
Scott 3651 - Houdini - four chains that envelop Harry are to be found between the corresponding pairs of colored dots
Scott 3387-91 - Southeastern Lighthouses - yeardates the lighthouses were built
Scott 3647 - Jefferson Memorial
Scott 3648 - Capitol at Dusk

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++

These stamps include Microprinting/Indicia. You'll need at least a 10x magnifying glass to find them.

Scott 976 - Fort Bliss Centennial - A quick glance at the stamp reveals some of the images: a rocket, the fort, a Spanish mission and desert flora. A detailed examination uncovers the many items pictured in the triangular border surrounding the central part of the design. A camel is depicted on the left part of the triangle near the top. Other tiny images on this stamp illustrate different modes of transportation, including on foot, on horseback, by Conestoga wagon, by stagecoach, by car and by plane. Military vehicles also are shown.
Scott 2193 - Bernard Revel - the Star of David in the beard
Scott 2544 - Challenger Shuttle - "STS-7"
Scott 2647-96 - Wildflowers - denomination numerals are screened
Scott 2711-14 - Christmas Toys "copyright symbol 1992" and screened dots
Scott 2750-53 - Circus "1992"
Scott 2779-82- Nat'l Postal Museum "WASHINGTON DC 1993" (intaglio)
Scott 2708-11 - Winter Olympics "1994" & "WINTERSPORTS"
Scott 2840A-D - Norman Rockwell "1994"
Scott 2842 - Moon Landing "FIRSTMOONLANDING" (intaglio)
Scott 2854-61 - Blues and Jazz Singers "1994" and "BLUES" or "JAZZ" plus 4 digits; only "1994" on Bailey
Scott 2863-66 - Wonders of the Sea "1994"
Scott 2872 - Stocking (sheet or bklt) "1994" & "CHRISTMAS"
Scott 2950 - Florida Statehood "Florida" on the alligators back
Scott 2951-54 - Kids Care/Environment "EARTH DAY"
Scott 2966 - POW&MIA - "POW&MIA"
Scott 2967 - Marilyn Monroe "TM"
Scott 2968 - Texas Statehood "TEXAS" twice
Scott 2982 - Louis Armstrong "ARMSTRONG"
Scott 2999 - Republic of Palau "PALAU"
Scott 3001 - U.S. Naval Academy "ANNAPOLIS"
Scott 3012 - Midnight Angel "HOLIDAY"
Scott 3018 - Midnight Angel (coil) "HOLIDAY"
Scott 3121 - Benjamin O. Davis "USPS"
Scott 3123-24 - Swans Love "LOVE" on each swans wing
Scott 3054 - Yellow Rose (coil) "USPS 1997"
Scott 3059 - Smithsonian Institution "USPS"
Scott 3081 - Breast Cancer Awareness "AWARENESS"
Scott 3082 - Lames Dean "TM"
Scott 3088 - Iowa Statehood "IOWA"
Scott 3089 - Iowa Statehood (self adhesive) "IOWA"
Scott 3134 - Thornton Wilder "OUR TOWN"
Scott 3135 - Raoul Wallenberg "PASSPORT TO FREEDOM"
Scott 3147 - Vince Lombardi (red bar) "GREEN BAY"
Scott 3148 - Bear Bryant (red bar) "ALABAMA"
Scott 3149 - Pop Warner (red bar) "YOUTH LEAGUE"
Scott 3150 - George Halas (red bar) "CHICAGO"
Scott 3152 - Humphry Bogart "TM"
Scott 3166 - Padre F. Varela "USPS" throughout the design
Scott 3167 - US Air Force "UNITED STATES AIR FORCE" four times "THUNDERBIRDS" and possibly "USAF"
Scott 3168-72 - Monster Movie Classics - Egyptian hieroglyphics, howling wolves, masks, bats and bolts of electricity.
Scott 3173 - Supersonic Flight "X-1" and "USPS" three times and "GLAMOROUS GLENNA"
Scott 3174 - Women in Military Service "ARMY", "USMC", "NAVY", "USAF", "USCG"
Scott 3176 - Madonna and Child "CHRISTMAS 1997"
Scott 3177 - American Holly "HOLIDAY GREETINGS", "USPS" and possibly "1997"
Scott 3178 - Mars Pathfinder "USPS"
Scott 3180 - Alpine Skiing "USPS"
Scott 3181 - Madam C.J. Walker "USPS"
Scott 3193-97 - Flowering Trees "USPS"
Scott 3211 - Berlin Airlift "USPS"
Scott 3220 - Spanish Settlement "USPS", "1598"
Scott 3221 - Stephen Vincent Benet "JOHN BROWN'S BODY"
Scott 3222-25 - Tropical Birds "USPS"
Scott 3235 - Klondike Gold Rush "STAMPEDERS", "GOLD"
Scott 3237 - American Ballet "1998"
Scott 3244 - Madonnas and Child "USPS 1998"
Scott 3261 - Space Shuttle Landing "Enterprise", "Colombia", "Challenger", "Atlantis", "Endeavour", "Discovery", "USPS". Minor misspelling with ‘Endeavor’ instead of the original 'Endeavour'.
Scott 3262 - 747 Space Shuttle Piggyback "Enterprise", "Colombia", "Challenger", "Atlantis", "Endeavour", "Discovery", "USPS". Minor misspelling with ‘Endeavor’ instead of the original 'Endeavour'.
Scott 3273 - Malcolm X "USPS"
Scott 3274-75 - Victorian Love "LOVE"
Scott 3276 - Hospice Care "USPS"
Scott 3286 - Irish Immigration "IRELAND"
Scott 3287 - Alfred Lunt & Lynn Fontanne "ACTORS"
Scott 3308 - Ayn Rand "NOVELIST"
Scott 3309 - Cinco De Mayo "USPS"
Scott 3314 - John & William Bartram "BOTANISTS" in the top petal of the flower
Scott 3316 - California Gold Rush "GOLD RUSH"
Scott 3332 - Universal Postal Union "UPU"
Scott 3338 - Frederick Law Olmsted "CENTRAL PARK"
Scott 3353 - Uncle Sam "USA1999" 10 times in line
Scott 3354 - NATO "UNITY"
Scott 3355 - Madonna & Child "USPS"
Scott 3369 - Year 2000 "USPS"
Scott 3370 - Year of the Dragon "DRAGON"
Scott 3371 - Patricia Roberts Harris "USPS"
Scott 3372 - LA Class Submarine "USPS" on the lower part of the conning tower
Scott 3389 - American Samoa "SAMOA"
Scott 3391-92 - Wylie E. Coyote & Road Runner "USPS"
Scott 3397 - Summer Sports "USPS"
Scott 3398 - Adoption "USPS"
Scott 3411 - Escaping the Gravity of Earth "USPS" on both hologram overlays
Scott 3413 - Landing on the Moon "USPS" on hologram overlay
Scott 3444 - THomas Wolfe "AUTHOR"
Scott 3445 - White House "2000"
Scott 3448 - Flag over Farm "USPS"
Scott 3449 - Flag over Farm (self adhesive) "USPS"
Scott 3467 - Bison "USPS"
Scott 3468A - Washington "USPS"
Scott 3469 - Flag over Farm "USPS"
Scott 3470 - Flag over Farm (self adhesive) "USPS"
Scott 3482-83 - Washington "USPS"
Scott 3484-84A - Bison (self adhesive, pane & vending and bklt) "USPS"
Scott 3491-92 - Apple and Orange (pane) "USPS"
Scott 3493-94 - Apple and Orange (vending bklt) "USPS"
Scott 3496-99 - Rose and Love Letter "USPS"
Scott 3500 - Year of the Snake "USPS"
Scott 3501 - Roy Wilkins "USPS"
Scott 3503 - Diabetes Awareness "USPS"
Scott 3507 - Peanuts(Snoopy) "USPS"
Scott 3508 - Honoring Veterans "USA"
Scott 3509 - Frida Kahlo "USPS"
Scott 3521 - Leonard Bernstein "USPS"
Scott 3523 - Lucille Ball "USPS"
Scott 3533 - Enrico Fermi "USPS"
Scott 3546 - We Give Thanks "USPS"
Scott 3551 - Love letter "USPS"
Scott 3557 - Langston Hughes "USPS"
Scott 3559 - Year of the Horse "USPS"
Scott 3616 - Washington (water activated) "USPS"
Scott 3618-19 - Washington (self adhesive) "USPS"
Scott 3620 - Flag (water activated) "USA"
Scott 3621 - Flag (self adhesive, pane of 20) "USA"
Scott 3623 - Flag (self adhesive, conv bklt of 20) "USPS"
Scott 3630 - Flag (self adhesive, pane of 20) "USA"
Scott 3635 - Flag (self adhesive, conv bklt of 20) "USPS"
Scott 3675 - Madonna and Child "USPS"
Scott 3747 - Year of the Ram "USPS"
Scott 3766 - Wisdom "USPS"
Scott 3773 - Ohio Statehood "USPS"
Scott 3774 - Pelican Island Nat'l Wildlife Refuge "USPS"
Scott 3781 - Cesar Chavez "USPS"
Scott 3784 - Purple Heart "USA"
Scott 3784A - Purple Heart "USPS"
Scott 3803 - Korean War Vets Memorial "USPS"
Coming - United We Stand "USPS"
Coming - Rose and Love Letter "USPS

Scott C135 - Grand Canyon "USPS"
Scott C136 - Nine Mile Prarie "USPS"
Scott C138 - Acadia Nat'l Park "USPS"
Scott C138A - Acadia Nat'l Park "USPS"

Scott O146A - Great Seal Official "USA1993" 10 times in line
Scott O151 - Great Seal Official "USA1993" 10 times in line
Scott O153 - Great Seat Official "USA1995" 10 times in line
Scott O154 - Great Seat Official "USA1995" 10 times in line
Scott O155 - Great Seat Official "USA1995" 10 times in line
Scott O156 - Great Seat Official "USA1995" 10 times in line
Scott O157 - Great Seal Official "USA1999" 10 times in line
Scott O158 - Great Seal Official (coil) "USA2001" 10 times in line

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
These stamps have some form of luminescence or phosphorescence. You'll need a black light to brighten them.

Scott 3325-28 - American Glass
Scott 3332 - Universal Postal Union
Scott 3351A-T - Insecs and Spiders

Old December 6th 03, 01:37 AM
Grandpa

There ya go Tom, I think the Special Olympics Scott 3769 is one also but
not sure which catagory. Enjoy...

Old December 6th 03, 01:47 AM
Grandpa

I'll give it a shot, however my writing skills leave much to be desired.
When I've put something together thats a bit more than just the list
I'll send it on to Stamporama for editing and inclusion. It'll be a few
days though as I'm working on my inventory spreadsheet, which is almost
done, well, until I decide I need another tidbit of info anyway.G

For those unfamiliar with Stamporama, its a friendly group of folks
worldwide who participate on a web site that includes discussion areas
as well as some really nice auctions. Membership is easy and its FREE,
as is selling items in the auctions. The only things you need to become
a member are the desire, honesty and integrity. I recognize a number of
the names from this forum who are members. Bob is one of the moderators
and does an excellent job of it, as does the webmaster Roy. Nice people
there.

http://www.stamporama.com

Old December 6th 03, 02:35 AM
Tom Loepp