The Big Philatelic Rip Off

Old November 10th 11, 01:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default The Big Philatelic Rip Off

By the creation of a monopolized market abroad, followed by limitations
imposed to local stamp collectors, the final goal was the rip off of Western
stamp collectors in favor of Western dealers and of participating postal
administrations from former European (and other) communist countries.
Fortunately, many of Western collectors understood what was all about and
avoided all together such kind of stamps.

More here, on my new page:
http://www.reds-on.postalstamps.biz/...ig-rip-off.htm

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/
Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/

Old November 11th 11, 01:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 11/10/2011 7:23 AM, Victor Manta wrote:
By the creation of a monopolized market abroad, followed by limitations
imposed to local stamp collectors, the final goal was the rip off of Western
stamp collectors in favor of Western dealers and of participating postal
administrations from former European (and other) communist countries.
Fortunately, many of Western collectors understood what was all about and
avoided all together such kind of stamps.

More here, on my new page:
http://www.reds-on.postalstamps.biz/...ig-rip-off.htm

Interesting. Perhaps 30 years ago I got, as part of a box lot, about a
decade's worth of CTO DDR sets -- all missing one value. So I figured
they were a double ripoff -- CTO artificially limited. I had no idea how
bad it was in Romania. The stuff I got from there was much more
scattered. Perhaps some items have been dumped by dealers after selling
what they could at the inflated prices.

Terry

Old November 11th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
Terry Reedy found these unused words:

[...]

This practice extends all the way back to the 1890's when several journals
began issuing 'Black Blots' against 'unnecessary' or 'limited' issues.

With the passage of time, they are now 'collectible' and have full
catalogue
status - well ... to some!

1990, of course.

The problems with these Central and Eastern European stamps wasn't their
legitimacy (as it was the case with some Dunes, etc. issues) but how they
were distributed. That's why it was difficult for the catalogue editors to
totally ignore them but they haven't reasons to overprice them either, as
they did.

--
Victor Manta, PWO, AIJP

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

BIG COIN SHOW, BIG CARD SHOW, XBOX FOOTBALL TOURNAMENT! acardworld Coins 0 February 5th 06 08:01 PM
RIP "Big boss Man" - my in person encounter pe2 Autographs 1 September 24th 04 12:50 AM
FS: Philatelic CD's PC Elias Marketplace 0 September 2nd 04 06:06 AM
Philatelic CD's PC Elias US Stamps 0 September 2nd 04 06:05 AM
Really big (BIG) mounts Dakota General Discussion 2 September 17th 03 03:20 AM