how much iron in fountain pen blue-blacks?

Old July 15th 08, 07:11 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

Default how much iron in fountain pen blue-blacks?

Anybody have an idea on how much "gall" is in diamine registrar
ink, monte blanc's blue-black, lamy blue-black (bottle), or R&K
gall ink?

I'm just curious in fairly general terms as to how much "gall"
does the job in these inks. Guesses in ppm or any other unit
are welcome.

matthew
Old July 18th 08, 08:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_2_]

In article ,
MatthewK wrote:
Anybody have an idea on how much "gall" is in diamine registrar
ink, monte blanc's blue-black, lamy blue-black (bottle), or R&K
gall ink?

I'm just curious in fairly general terms as to how much "gall"
does the job in these inks. Guesses in ppm or any other unit
are welcome.

I am curious about this as well, but I tend to think that it might be a
little difficult since I would expect that information to be held
private by the makers of the ink. Of course, I could be very wrong here,
so if someone happens to know, I'm all ears.

Aaron Hsu

--
+++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
Email: | WWW: http://www.sacrideo.us
Old July 19th 08, 02:40 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-07-18, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
In article ,
MatthewK wrote:
Anybody have an idea on how much "gall" is in diamine registrar
ink, monte blanc's blue-black, lamy blue-black (bottle), or R&K
gall ink?

I'm just curious in fairly general terms as to how much "gall"
does the job in these inks. Guesses in ppm or any other unit
are welcome.

I am curious about this as well, but I tend to think that it might be a
little difficult since I would expect that information to be held
private by the makers of the ink. Of course, I could be very wrong here,
so if someone happens to know, I'm all ears.

Same here actually...I've been thinking of ways to experiment
with this. Maybe making a gallic ink and adding some mL by mL
to a bottle of dye and test the ink to see how little does the
job. The whole scenario is a nerdy mess

matthew
Old July 19th 08, 07:06 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_2_]

In article ,
On 2008-07-18, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
In article ,
MatthewK wrote:
Anybody have an idea on how much "gall" is in diamine registrar
ink, monte blanc's blue-black, lamy blue-black (bottle), or R&K
gall ink?

I'm just curious in fairly general terms as to how much "gall"
does the job in these inks. Guesses in ppm or any other unit
are welcome.

I am curious about this as well, but I tend to think that it might be a
little difficult since I would expect that information to be held
private by the makers of the ink. Of course, I could be very wrong here,
so if someone happens to know, I'm all ears.

Same here actually...I've been thinking of ways to experiment
with this. Maybe making a gallic ink and adding some mL by mL
to a bottle of dye and test the ink to see how little does the
job. The whole scenario is a nerdy mess

I can't imagine that there is that much gall in something like
MontBlanc's Blue Black. The reason I mention this is because Mont
Blanc's are known from what I can tell for writing a little on the dry
side. Thus, if Mont Blanc actually issued out an ink as common as Blue
Black that had a lot of heavy deposits like gall in it, the amount of
repairs they would have to deal with would go up. I'm sure they have to
keep the ink thin.

Aaron
Old July 19th 08, 10:04 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

In article ,
On 2008-07-18, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
In article ,
MatthewK wrote:
[...]

That's what I thought from what I read and from the black and turquoise inks
I bought. I was surprised to find the MB Royal Blue, Violet, and Racing
Green to be nice and slick. I don't consider Sepia to be dry, either,
although it isn't like the others.

As for Blue-black, the instructions say:

"Important note: it is particularly important to clean the fountain pen
regularly if permanent ink (blue-black) is used, as the high solids content
of the ink can lead to deposits forming in the feed system."

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old July 19th 08, 04:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

On 2008-07-19, Bluesea wrote:

As for Blue-black, the instructions say:

"Important note: it is particularly important to clean the fountain pen
regularly if permanent ink (blue-black) is used, as the high solids content
of the ink can lead to deposits forming in the feed system."

It was Frank dubiels opinion that the amount of gall in these
blue-black inks was very small and I think he was right on
here. So I think we are looking at very small amounts...I need
to look at my chem books and see if one can estimate solution
contents by ph values. How much gall ink would it take to make
water x ph? Not sure if that would give meaningful results or
not.

If not than it is adding mL to dyed water to figure out
molarityi of gal/best reaction.

When the gall reacts with oxygen it makes iron particles and
that is where the warning to clean pens comes from when using
MB ink. It is a solution until the ink reacts with oxygen and
turns the gall black. One of the ways of reducing this reaction
in the ink is to make it acidic.

matthew

Old July 19th 08, 09:04 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_2_]

In article ,
Bluesea wrote:

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
On 2008-07-18, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
In article ,
MatthewK wrote:
[...]

I think I started with the Sepia ink in the Meisterstuck, and compared
to the black Waterman that I was using in a Waterman pen before, Sepia
was pretty dry. It wasn't unpleasant, to be sure, but it was definitely
drier. I thought at first that this was due to the Extra Fine nib I was
using. However, when I started to use the Blue Black, it became
apparent how much drier the Sepia was comparitively. Granted, it's very
useable nonetheless. Then again, I noticed the difference the most on
long writing sessions or on paper that is very fine (and hence not prone
to rapid ink absorption) such as 100% Cotton Crane paper. This paper
takes the Blue Black much more steadily than the Sepia, thought neither
is a "bad" writer on that paper by any means.

As for Blue-black, the instructions say:

"Important note: it is particularly important to clean the fountain pen
regularly if permanent ink (blue-black) is used, as the high solids content
of the ink can lead to deposits forming in the feed system."

Yes, but in addition to that, they recommend cleaning maybe once every
month or three months, which is about twice as often as they normally
recommend IIRC. That's pretty rare in my book, especially considering
that I usually clean my pens at the Month mark regardless.

Aaron Hsu
Old July 19th 08, 09:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_2_]

In article ,
On 2008-07-19, Bluesea wrote:

As for Blue-black, the instructions say:

"Important note: it is particularly important to clean the fountain pen
regularly if permanent ink (blue-black) is used, as the high solids content
of the ink can lead to deposits forming in the feed system."

It was Frank dubiels opinion that the amount of gall in these
blue-black inks was very small and I think he was right on
here. So I think we are looking at very small amounts...I need
to look at my chem books and see if one can estimate solution
contents by ph values. How much gall ink would it take to make
water x ph? Not sure if that would give meaningful results or
not.

If we are going to be talking chemistry here, it should be relatively
trivial to just mix together the right solution with the ink and then
filter out the collected Iron particles, which should give you an
idea about the contents. I know that every elementary Chem Lab does
things like this in school, and Iron is certainly something that
should be easy to crystalize or whatever the proper term for it is.

Aaron
Old July 20th 08, 08:03 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Joshua Judson Rosen

MatthewK writes:

Anybody have an idea on how much "gall" is in diamine registrar
ink, monte blanc's blue-black, lamy blue-black (bottle), or R&K
gall ink?

The body of your message says "gall", but the subject is "iron"; which
are you looking for?

--
Don't be afraid to ask (Lf.((Lx.xx) (Lr.f(rr)))).