Good memory?

Old May 4th 08, 06:10 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Donf

Default Good memory?

Hi All;

I was reading through the pop survey in June of 2004. What caught my
attention was the number of pens and the exact ink each had in it for
peoples pen rotation. Do pen people keep logs of pens with which ink
and on what type of paper, or unlike me do pen people just have good
memories?

Thank you
Don
Old May 4th 08, 12:01 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Donf" wrote in message
Hi All;

I was reading through the pop survey in June of 2004.

Huh. I haven't posted one of those surveys in a long time. That's okay. You
took up the slack for this month.

What caught my
attention was the number of pens and the exact ink each had in it for
peoples pen rotation. Do pen people keep logs of pens with which ink
and on what type of paper, or unlike me do pen people just have good
memories?

Thank you
Don

The short answer is, "yes."

The long answer:

Certain of my pens always have a particular ink in them, Noodler's
waterproof, for journals, letters, writing checks, addressing envelopes,
etc.:

second Namiki Falcon - Legal Lapis
blue Pilot Ecrino - Swisher Aquamarine Blue
first Namiki Falcon - Noodler's Black
Royal Blue Pilot Prera - Noodler's Baystate Blue (recent acquisitions)
red Pilot Ecrino - Swisher Hellbender Red
Soft Blue Pilot Prera - Noodler's Britannia's Blue Waves (recent
acquisitions)
black Pilot Ecrino - Noodler's Iraqi Indigo
demonstrator Sailor (whatever-the-number-is) - Verdun Green

They're in a zippered pen case, so it's easy to open and type them up as I
look down the line.

My carry pen, a fine Namiki Vanishing Point, gets Legal Lapis or a
turquoise, formerly Pelikan, it'll be BBW now that I have it, depending on
which I prefer at the time of refilling. (Blue-black and turquoise have
consistantly been my favorite colors since 7th or 8th grade.)

I expect to get the Slate Gray Pilot Prera for Noodler's bulletproof
Burgundy. I had Burgundy in my Ruby Red Parker Sonnet, but my Sonnets do
better with Quink and Skrip and Waterman than with Noodler's, so I'm
changing.

I have green Quink in my green Sonnet and blue Skrip in my blue Sonnet. When
the Sheaffer's gone, it'll be blue Quink. I used to have Waterman's Purple
in my black Sonnet, but that got rinsed out before I went traveling and I've
yet to refill it.

Noodler's Quick Lime is in the Lime Green Prera (recent acquisitions).

Waterman's Havana belongs in the Pelikan.

After I get the orange I want, I expect to put it in the Ivory
Prera...unless somebody comes out with an orange pen I can't resist.

So, for me, it's mostly habit and from color-coding for simplicity.

From my answer in '04, I retired the Phileases (top-heavy) and swapped two
sections with Kulturs because the Phileas nibs are smoother (inks for those
are Sheaffer's Turquoise and Purple). I got more Sonnets (see above), one
replaced a Phileas. The medium Falcons are mostly retired. I prefer fine
nibs, but the medium Falcons write so nicely. The Lamy Safari is
uncomfortable so I use it only for short notations to use up the other black
inks I have. When they're gone, I'll retire the Safari and stick with
Noodler's Black.

The Cores are still great and I bought the one I was missing back then.
However, I rinsed them out before I started traveling and have refilled only
one of them with Pelikan Turquoise since I returned. I taped a sheet of
loose-leaf binder notebook paper to the inside of the ink cupboard door with
a list of which ink went into which Core. They're basically color-coded, but
since the Cores are two-toned, I decided it would be easier to get back into
the groove if I kept a list. Without looking at it:

Balium (red/orange) - Noodler's Widow Maker
Tanakor (black/white) - Pelikan turquoise
Rexor (dk blue/lt blue) - whatever standard blue cartridges I have
Technor (black/blue) - blue-black (Parker/Pelikan/Sheaffer/Noodler's
Midnight)
Titanium (black/gray) - Noodler's Black (I like Noodler's Black.)
Eternium (gray/orange) - ? - I s'pose I can put one of my new oranges in it
Lysium (aqua/gray) - ? Pelikan green ? shrug
Coridium - (black/black) - Noodler's Saquaro Wine

Other inks that I don't like as well got pushed to the back of the cabinet.
There's no log or list and no memory of them. One of these days, I'll pull
a bottle forward and fill a Core from it. It's the least I can do for the
unfortunate colors although I did give a bottle or two away, once, to
someone who had a new pen and no ink. It was a mercy giving for me and the
ink, as well as for the recipient.

As for paper, it's a lot simpler. My social stationery is Crane's, mostly
white, some gray, some ecru. Ink company or color doesn't matter - it's all
good - although I prefer burgundy ink on gray and ecru paper and brown ink
on ecru. For personal business letters, I have white Neenah which is good
with both fp ink (black or blue-black) and inkjet printer.

Drafts for my writing projects (using all the non-waterproof inks) are
written on loose-leaf notebook paper such as Mead's, or white or yellow
Ampads, and the back of used inkjet printer paper when I've edited the
front.

Notes done away from home are written in Ampads, steno pads, mini legal
pads, or pocket-sized spiral notebooks or whatever I'm carrying at the time
including paper sacks from a store because I didn't take a notepad with me
figuring I was only going shopping. (But, these are done with my carry pen,
see above. My carry pen used to be a Fisher and still is if I don't want to
take my VP, such as when traveling.)

My journals (personal, tea, wine) are refills from Oberon Design - I never
did get a cover, but I like their journal refills. Finally, there's my
Day-Timer. Since I use Noodler's waterproof inks in Japanese fine-nibbed
pens, I've never had a problem. Before Noodler's, I used Fishers and fine
Pentel gel pens for the journals and still use Fishers with the Day-Timer as
well as Noodler's Black in my fine Falcon.

That's it. It's easy to remember because they each have a particular
purpose. Sometimes, I'll write social correspondence using a non-waterproof
ink just because I want that particular color, but then I address the
envelope using a waterproof ink - usually black.

Maybe my answer is, "It depends."

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old May 4th 08, 03:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Donf

[...]

From my answer in '04, I retired the Phileases (top-heavy) and swapped two
[...]

Thanks for response, looks like I have a ways to go. In two years 40
pens and six inks. But if you take enough steps you eventually get
there.

Don
Old May 4th 08, 08:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Donf" wrote in message
news

Thanks for response, looks like I have a ways to go. In two years 40
pens and six inks. But if you take enough steps you eventually get
there.

You need more ink! Having more ink helps you remember which pen has which
ink. Honest!

On June 30, 2004, I posted, "All of the 30 pens that I've bought for
myself..."

On June 27, 2006, I posted, "...my pens (over 50 at last count)."

Just now, I mentally tallied up my purchases from Oct. '06 to date as being
46.

That averages out to about 17 pens per year from mid-2002 to date. Prior to
that, I had bought less than a dozen pens total, starting when I was in the
7th or 8th grade.

OTOH, I have no idea how many bottles of ink I have.

(Let's see...19 Noodler's + 8 Montblanc + 8 Sheaffer + 6 Pelikan + 5 Parker
+ 2 Waterman + 1 Private Reserve + 1 Conway Stewart + 1 soon-to-be Diamine
Orange...)

NINETEEN Noodler's?!

The addiction is getting worse!

Old May 5th 08, 04:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Sun, 4 May 2008 14:57:07 -0500, "Bluesea"
wrote:

"Donf" wrote in message
news

Thanks for response, looks like I have a ways to go. In two years 40
pens and six inks. But if you take enough steps you eventually get
there.

You need more ink! Having more ink helps you remember which pen has which
ink. Honest!

He does need more ink, for sure.

On June 30, 2004, I posted, "All of the 30 pens that I've bought for
myself..."

On June 27, 2006, I posted, "...my pens (over 50 at last count)."

Just now, I mentally tallied up my purchases from Oct. '06 to date as being
46.

That averages out to about 17 pens per year from mid-2002 to date. Prior to
that, I had bought less than a dozen pens total, starting when I was in the
7th or 8th grade.

OTOH, I have no idea how many bottles of ink I have.

(Let's see...19 Noodler's + 8 Montblanc + 8 Sheaffer + 6 Pelikan + 5 Parker
+ 2 Waterman + 1 Private Reserve + 1 Conway Stewart + 1 soon-to-be Diamine
Orange...)

NINETEEN Noodler's?!

The addiction is getting worse!

I've got about 40 or so Noodler's, maybe 50.

As far as the Private Reserve, looks like you could use a few more of
those. American Blue--I used to think of this one as really required,
but now that Nathan has come up with Baystate Blue, damn, I don't know
if I'll be using American Blue much more any more.

But Sherwood is still required, even if it takes forever to dry. I've
got all the Private Reserve inks. I'd say to stay away from Burgundy
Mist and Black Cherry, but the rest are all pretty good. If you don't
have Noodler's Gruen Cactus, I highly recommend Spearmint. I never
have liked Dakota Red as much as some people, and don't much care for
Arabian Rose either. Certainly no need for the PR blacks.

Diamine--I've got about 20 of these and the only ones I really care
about is the orange.

I read about the waterproof inks you're using, and if you care for a
burgundy, I highly recommend Swishmix Burgundy. It doesn't have the
dullness of Noodler's other waterproof inks.
Old May 5th 08, 11:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

wrote:

OTOH, I have no idea how many bottles of ink I have.

(Let's see...19 Noodler's + 8 Montblanc + 8 Sheaffer + 6 Pelikan + 5
Parker
+ 2 Waterman + 1 Private Reserve + 1 Conway Stewart + 1 soon-to-be Diamine
Orange...)

NINETEEN Noodler's?!

The addiction is getting worse!

I've got about 40 or so Noodler's, maybe 50.

Whew! Good, that makes me feel better.

As far as the Private Reserve, looks like you could use a few more of
those.

Sorry, I rather not. PR and I have insurmountable differences of opinion. I
don't like the colors, they strike me as being a little "off" somehow, or
the way they make my pens write, drier with considerably less glide. This PR
that I still have is turquoise. It's the second bottle of PR I got and I
bought it to give PR a second chance. Unfortunately, as much as I like
turquoise, I dislike it nearly as much as the first bottle that I gave away
because I disliked it too much to keep to use "eventually."

American Blue--I used to think of this one as really required,
but now that Nathan has come up with Baystate Blue, damn, I don't know
if I'll be using American Blue much more any more.

Yes, I used to really like Noodler's Blue and Pelikan's, but that BB has
pretty well blown all the blues away.

But Sherwood is still required, even if it takes forever to dry. I've
got all the Private Reserve inks. I'd say to stay away from Burgundy
Mist and Black Cherry, but the rest are all pretty good. If you don't
have Noodler's Gruen Cactus, I highly recommend Spearmint.

But-but, neither have appealed to me. My favorite is Quink green because
it's bluish- instead of yellowy-green and it writes well. Noodler's Verdun
Green is nice for my darker green and now that I have Quick Lime for my
light green, I think I'm set for green. All I have to do is use up my
Pelikan and Skrip. The Skrip is okay, too, but I prefer the Quink.

I never
have liked Dakota Red as much as some people, and don't much care for
Arabian Rose either. Certainly no need for the PR blacks.

Yup. The black is what I gave away.

Diamine--I've got about 20 of these and the only ones I really care
about is the orange.

I'm looking forward to getting mine.

I read about the waterproof inks you're using, and if you care for a
burgundy, I highly recommend Swishmix Burgundy. It doesn't have the
dullness of Noodler's other waterproof inks.

Yes, I've been using the non-wp burgundy and like it so much that I got the
wp one, too.

For non-wp turquoise, I like Sheaffer's and for non-wp purple, I like
Waterman's. I also like Waterman's Havana brown. I think I just like the
basics, as long as they make my pens write how I like them to write, and are
the shades I want. I really like having waterproof counterparts of the
essentials: black, blue-black, blue, turquoise. That's why I was so
surprised about my having 19 Noodler's. They snuck up on me.

I only bought the MBs so I could have the bottles, but the Sepia is doing
well and I'll try another, soon.

Old May 5th 08, 08:02 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Deirdre Saoirse Moen[_2_]

Bluesea wrote:
NINETEEN Noodler's?!

Only 19?

http://flickr.com/photos/muhe-e/2466595187/
http://flickr.com/photos/muhe-e/2466595565/
http://flickr.com/photos/muhe-e/2466596015/
http://flickr.com/photos/muhe-e/2467423980/

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://dsmoen.livejournal.com/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old May 5th 08, 11:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

On Mon, 5 May 2008 05:59:17 -0500, "Bluesea"
wrote:

As far as the Private Reserve, looks like you could use a few more of
those.

Sorry, I rather not. PR and I have insurmountable differences of opinion. I
don't like the colors, they strike me as being a little "off" somehow, or
the way they make my pens write, drier with considerably less glide. This PR
that I still have is turquoise. It's the second bottle of PR I got and I
bought it to give PR a second chance. Unfortunately, as much as I like
turquoise, I dislike it nearly as much as the first bottle that I gave away
because I disliked it too much to keep to use "eventually."

PR does not make an ink called "Turquoise". Do you mean Naples Blue?

[...]

Verdun comes across as dull to me. At least my bottle is dull. I've
gotten some writing samples that look much less dull.

And because of the excess blue--for me anyway--that's why I don't like
the Quink green. I can always add Noodler's Yellow to it. I think
the Quink Green is supposed to be waterproof--but mine does not appear
to be.

Diamine--I've got about 20 of these and the only ones I really care
about is the orange.

I'm looking forward to getting mine.

I hope you ordered plain orange and not the blaze orange.

I read about the waterproof inks you're using, and if you care for a
burgundy, I highly recommend Swishmix Burgundy. It doesn't have the
dullness of Noodler's other waterproof inks.

Yes, I've been using the non-wp burgundy and like it so much that I got the
wp one, too.

For non-wp turquoise, I like Sheaffer's and for non-wp purple, I like
Waterman's. I also like Waterman's Havana brown. I think I just like the
basics, as long as they make my pens write how I like them to write, and are
the shades I want. I really like having waterproof counterparts of the
essentials: black, blue-black, blue, turquoise. That's why I was so
surprised about my having 19 Noodler's. They snuck up on me.

As far as the brown goes, Noodler's Brown is practically
bulletproof--in water, a little red comes out. So that's what I use,
adding a little more red to it, or some Diamine Orange.

I only bought the MBs so I could have the bottles, but the Sepia is doing
well and I'll try another, soon.

I've got Montblanc Racing Green and Violet. The Racing Green is
really ugly, and the Violet is very usable, but I like Noodler's
Purple Wampum better, as a dark purple.
Old May 6th 08, 08:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message
Bluesea wrote:
NINETEEN Noodler's?!

Only 19?

"Only..." Well, I thought it was a lot.

http://flickr.com/photos/muhe-e/2466595187/

I don't recall Noodler's Majestic Orange. Do you remember from where you
bought it?

http://flickr.com/photos/muhe-e/2466595565/

grumbling softly to myself That PR Plum looks nice.

http://flickr.com/photos/muhe-e/2466596015/
http://flickr.com/photos/muhe-e/2467423980/

Wow.

Don needs to get more ink.

Old May 6th 08, 08:10 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

wrote:

As far as the Private Reserve, looks like you could use a few more of
those.

Sorry, I rather not. PR and I have insurmountable differences of opinion.
don't like the colors, they strike me as being a little "off" somehow, or
the way they make my pens write, drier with considerably less glide. This
PR
that I still have is turquoise. It's the second bottle of PR I got and I
bought it to give PR a second chance. Unfortunately, as much as I like
turquoise, I dislike it nearly as much as the first bottle that I gave
away
because I disliked it too much to keep to use "eventually."

PR does not make an ink called "Turquoise".

I didn't say it does, but that's the color it is.

Do you mean Naples Blue?

I can't check, right now. It's either that or Daphne Blue. I don't remember,
which is why I used the generic color instead of the name.

But Sherwood is still required, even if it takes forever to dry. I've
got all the Private Reserve inks. I'd say to stay away from Burgundy
Mist and Black Cherry, but the rest are all pretty good. If you don't
have Noodler's Gruen Cactus, I highly recommend Spearmint.

But-but, neither have appealed to me. My favorite is Quink green because
it's bluish- instead of yellowy-green and it writes well. Noodler's Verdun
Green is nice for my darker green and now that I have Quick Lime for my
light green, I think I'm set for green. All I have to do is use up my
Pelikan and Skrip. The Skrip is okay, too, but I prefer the Quink.

Verdun comes across as dull to me. At least my bottle is dull. I've
gotten some writing samples that look much less dull.

I think that's part of the fun. Ink in bottles doesn't always look like ink
on paper.

And because of the excess blue--for me anyway--that's why I don't like
the Quink green. I can always add Noodler's Yellow to it.

That we have personal preferences is is why it's good for different
companies to make different shades of ink and different pens to hold them.

I think
the Quink Green is supposed to be waterproof--but mine does not appear
to be.

No Quinks are waterproof. The "washable" blue, for example, meant only that
it could be laundered out of clothing.

The last I knew, only Noodler's makes waterproof fountain pen ink.

Diamine--I've got about 20 of these and the only ones I really care
about is the orange.

I'm looking forward to getting mine.

I hope you ordered plain orange and not the blaze orange.

Yes .

I only bought the MBs so I could have the bottles, but the Sepia is doing
well and I'll try another, soon.

I've got Montblanc Racing Green and Violet. The Racing Green is
really ugly, and the Violet is very usable, but I like Noodler's
Purple Wampum better, as a dark purple.

Yes, I don't care much for the Racing Green, either, but since I got it for
the bottle, it will serve to indicate that I put green ink inside. I ordered
the Emerald Green in 2006 thinking to get it before I started traveling,
then I received an email that it was out of stock. Then, I received an email
that the store tried to order more, but it was discontinued. It would
have been a much nicer color to use up.

Yes, the Violet's okay.

You know, that Racing Green reminds me of an old MG-A or MG-B I once saw. I
don't remember which, except that it wasn't a Midget because that car has
only two seats and the other had enough room to seat a smaller child
(without a car seat) or squish in an adult sideways. Maybe the space was for
paper grocery bags.