Superpowers of Arena Rock 2003

Old June 24th 03, 12:58 AM
trippin2-8track

Default Superpowers of Arena Rock 2003

on tour this summer, stopping here in Pa., and maybe in your town too ??

Neil Young

Aerosmith and Kiss

Styx, REO Speedwagon, Journey

Old June 25th 03, 12:00 PM
trippin2-8track

Neil Forever !!

The 2 LP's from Styx and REO that I consider must-haves:

REO- "You Get What You Play For" Still have my original high-school
pot-smoking-in-the-parking-lot-in-the-Chevelle copy. Sounds great.
Laid down around $10 back then for it new, what's that in 2003 dollars
?? Around $40 ?? (chuckle)

Styx- "Equinox"- picked it up recently at SA for 29 cents, in mint
shape. ahh, the memories...great LP

Both are benchmark 70's LPs, IMO. I get rid of all other REO tapes,
and any post-Equinox Styx. Want to check out the early Styx stuff a
bit closer though.

Other tapes that fix the first category : !!

Nugent Double Live Gonzo
Frampton Comes Alive
The Who Live at Leeds
Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps

Any additions ??
Old June 25th 03, 08:54 PM
Bluemuse

Frampton Comes Alive

Being stuck in what passed for the back seat (but was too small to actually
qualify) of a '73 Toyota Celica and having this 8-track playing nonstop for the
entire trip from southern Connecticut to middle New Hampshire has soured me on
Frampton forever. It's been almost thirty years since that trip, and the
revulsion continues. Sorry.
However, something else that probably was played at a different point during
that trip or one like it, and which might fit on the list, is Emerson, Lake, &
Palmer--Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends, Ladies and
Gentlemen, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer. (Playing air keyboards was required then.)

--Bob Farace

"I only believe in fire." --Anais Nin
Old June 26th 03, 03:41 AM
Larry Blumenfeld

trippin2-8track wrote:

Neil Forever !!

Other tapes that fix the first category : !!

Nugent Double Live Gonzo
Frampton Comes Alive
The Who Live at Leeds
Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps

Any additions ??

"Rust" pretty much retires the category, but here's a few others they'll
have to pry out of my cold, dead fingers:

Gentle Giant Official Live
Outlaws Bring It Back Alive
Uriah Heep Live
and the masterpiece of all time, short of "Rust":
Waiting For Columbus - Little Feat

Ah, the double live...the zenith of 70s rock...

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Old June 26th 03, 03:44 AM
Larry Blumenfeld

DOGGIE104 wrote:

Not until the last one of these guys croaks - I'm bettin' on Neil. Anybody
else?

Happy trails,
Larry B.
(Maybe when all the REO guys are gone we'll see a farewell tour from Gary
Richrath...)

Dennis De Young will be the last to die. That Steve replacment in Journey is
an awfully young gut, though...ron

Replacements don't count. And if Tommy Shaw and J.Y. get their hands on a voodoo
doll, Dennis is toast...

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Old June 26th 03, 11:02 AM
trippin2-8track

'73 Toyota-yechh- my girlfriend had one of those.

Frampton Alive- got so sick of my original store bought 8-track copy,
that I taped over it, and scraped the label off. So I hear ya on that
one...
Old June 26th 03, 04:13 PM
Dan #3

Larry Blumenfeld wrote in message ...

"Rust" pretty much retires the category, but here's a few others they'll
have to pry out of my cold, dead fingers:

Gentle Giant Official Live
Outlaws Bring It Back Alive
Uriah Heep Live
and the masterpiece of all time, short of "Rust":
Waiting For Columbus - Little Feat

Ah, the double live...the zenith of 70s rock...

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Let's not forget:

"It's Alive" Ozark Mountain Daredevils
"Live" Head East

wore out many a worn out copy of both - sure like to have replacements!

Dan#3
Old June 28th 03, 01:05 PM
trippin2-8track

Styx, REO Speedwagon, Journey
3 good reasons for the rise of punk rock. Those bands are the epitome
of bad, corporate, soulless music.

And what punk rock bands are you recommending, that are "good,
non-corp, and full of soul"....(chuckle)...and are released on a
non-corp private label ??

I forgot one, Santana played here last night. It's an all-out '70's
rock revival ! Carlos is donating $3 million to Africans in need from
his tour profits...