Latest ebay phishing scam

Old January 25th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Latest ebay phishing scam

I've had plenty of `phishing' type emails come my way. The latest one
involves receiving an officila looking email stating that you have been
given an `unpaid item strike' providing details of the item etcetera and
clickable auction number.

The natural inclination is to click on the auction number to find out
what it is all about. The link will take you to a mocked up `ebay' login
page where (if your head is not screwed on properly) you will type in
your login name and password. of course,, pressing the `send' will
supply your details to the person doing the phishing.

Sorry if you've already come across this one, but it's the first time
i've seen it used and i thought it might be worth mentioning that people
should keep on their toes with regards to these ever evolving phishing
expeditions.

Ian
Old January 25th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I had that one last week. Instead of clicking on it I copied the item
number then looked it up at ebay. It was for a CD I never ordered. When
I looked at the seller I discovered he had 400 negatives in the past
month. Naturally I deleted the message and never looked back. I did
forward it to spoof at ebay.

Old January 25th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Ian" wrote in message
I've had plenty of `phishing' type emails come my way. The latest one
involves receiving an officila looking email stating that you have been
given an `unpaid item strike' providing details of the item etcetera and
clickable auction number...

I usually just delete this things or report them to spoof, but maybe we
should respond to them. Imagine if the phishers got responses to all their
emails -- fictitious input, of course (real looking numbers that they would
have to work on, not just zeros). It might be discouraging enough to make
them have to create the next scam.

I think we ought to answer all the phishing emails we get.

Anita

Old January 25th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Ian wrote:
I've had plenty of `phishing' type emails come my way. The latest one
involves receiving an officila looking email stating that you have been
given an `unpaid item strike' providing details of the item etcetera and
clickable auction number.

The natural inclination is to click on the auction number to find out
what it is all about. The link will take you to a mocked up `ebay' login
page where (if your head is not screwed on properly) you will type in
your login name and password. of course,, pressing the `send' will
supply your details to the person doing the phishing.

Sorry if you've already come across this one, but it's the first time
i've seen it used and i thought it might be worth mentioning that people
should keep on their toes with regards to these ever evolving phishing
expeditions.

Ian

I view all of these with skepticism, even genuine emails from paypal and
ebay. I use mailwasher to screen it and often see urls behind the typed
url like the following: http://cgi.ebay-com.ws.us/... obviously not
cgi.ebay.com

Old January 25th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Ian" wrote in message
. ..

arrived!! I guess you can be inventive with these but I just normally
report them to
and allow others to do the clever work.

Ah, but just typing in some fictitious info is simple. If a million people
did this, how could they sort through it?

Anita

Old January 25th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Lowell wrote:
I had that one last week. Instead of clicking on it I copied the item
number then looked it up at ebay. It was for a CD I never ordered. When
I looked at the seller I discovered he had 400 negatives in the past
month. Naturally I deleted the message and never looked back. I did
forward it to spoof at ebay.

I had one like that. It wasn't a CD listing...Actually, I forget what it
was, but I did notice the counter had over 10,000 hits.

Old January 25th 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:03:59 GMT, Ian wrote:

I've had plenty of `phishing' type emails come my way. The latest one
involves receiving an officila looking email stating that you have been
given an `unpaid item strike' providing details of the item etcetera and
clickable auction number.

The natural inclination is to click on the auction number to find out
what it is all about. The link will take you to a mocked up `ebay' login
page where (if your head is not screwed on properly) you will type in
your login name and password. of course,, pressing the `send' will
supply your details to the person doing the phishing.

Sorry if you've already come across this one, but it's the first time
i've seen it used and i thought it might be worth mentioning that people
should keep on their toes with regards to these ever evolving phishing
expeditions.

Ian

I've never done this but I wonder if it would be best to respond but use a bad
password. If enough people did this it would clog up their system or at the
very least make them waste their time by having to go through 100's of responces
to find the sucker that bit.

beekeep

Old January 25th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I used to do this, with the same thought. Often I would send
insulting info as passwords and id's. I quit, thinking maybe merely
responding might help them somehow, e.g. get my e-mail address. Does
anyone know if responding, even with false info, has any risk?

Rick
in the Ozarks

Old January 25th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"beekeep" wrote in message
I've never done this but I wonder if it would be best to respond but use a
bad
password. If enough people did this it would clog up their system or at
the
very least make them waste their time by having to go through 100's of
responces
to find the sucker that bit.

Very good point. The email address can always be altered. It takes a minute,
but would help camouflage information.

Anita