rate how important...

Old March 24th 04, 01:20 PM
Winde Walker

Default rate how important...

in grading a coin they say this or that is most important. I want to
find out what you think is most important of the following 4 items. In
fact I would like you to order them on how important you think they are.

Mint Luster
Knicks and other scars
fullness of strike
eye appeal

Tell me how you would order them. I am taking a survey. Ok so it won't
change the world or bring about world peace but it will let me rest
easier as this bugs me.

Winde
'morgan dreaming again'
Old March 24th 04, 01:41 PM
George D

Winde Walker wrote:
in grading a coin they say this or that is most important. I want to
find out what you think is most important of the following 4 items. In
fact I would like you to order them on how important you think they are.

Mint Luster
Knicks and other scars
fullness of strike
eye appeal

Tell me how you would order them. I am taking a survey. Ok so it won't
change the world or bring about world peace but it will let me rest
easier as this bugs me.

Winde
'morgan dreaming again'

eye appeal
Nicks and other scars
Mint Luster
fullness of strike

If I understand you question I would place overall eye appeal as my #1. If it does not
look right I don't care about fullness of strike. Ugly toning can kill a coin sale for me.

However all of the above take are important in which coin I buy.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old March 24th 04, 01:42 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:20:01 -0500, Winde Walker is
alleged to have written:

in grading a coin they say this or that is most important. I want to
find out what you think is most important of the following 4 items. In
fact I would like you to order them on how important you think they are.

Mint Luster
Knicks and other scars
fullness of strike
eye appeal

Tell me how you would order them. I am taking a survey. Ok so it won't
change the world or bring about world peace but it will let me rest
easier as this bugs me.

Winde
'morgan dreaming again'

1) Eye appeal (First nicks, then luster)
2) strike.

Bruce

Old March 24th 04, 01:51 PM
Harv

"Winde Walker" wrote in message
in grading a coin they say this or that is most important. I want to
find out what you think is most important of the following 4 items. In
fact I would like you to order them on how important you think they are.

Mint Luster #2
Knicks and other scars #3
fullness of strike #4
eye appeal #1

Although I don't know how I can rate #3 #3 because #3 detracts from #1 so
maybe #3 should be #2 but then I don't like dull looking coins either.. so
maybe #2 and #3 should be tied for #2..

Aw Hell, make em all #1.. but I still think #4 is the least important, so
make the other three tied for #1.. and make #4 #2.. now excuse me, I have to
go make #2 ..

Harv
"I thought Italy was in England!?" - What an actual USPS Postal Clerk
responded when I tried to explain to him where Vatican City was..

Old March 24th 04, 01:58 PM
Richard L. Hall

I assume you're talking about uncirculated or mint state coins. I think the
first 3 are equally important. And, of course, the three combined, add up
to eye appeal. Of course, mint luster can have many facets from blazing to
slightly subdued to toned (with luster) to no luster. The nicks and scars
will depend on where they are and their size. Nicks that require a glass to
see are not as bad a huge gash. And a coin that is fully struck up would
usually be more pleasing than a coin with a very weak strike.

I've often thought that a grading system that takes each into account
individually would be much better than the one we have now.

--
Richard
A thought: Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of

Old March 24th 04, 02:45 PM
Jerry Dennis

Eye Appeal - No matter what else, if I don't like the look, I won't buy it.

Nicks and Other Scars - These detract from the eye appeal. This is the primary
reason I don't have too many Morgans. The chatter on the cheek that seems so
prevalent on most just turns me off to them.

Fullness of Strike - Without a strong strike, even an MS coin would look less
than MS (more like a cleaned EF-40). Peace dollars, for the most part, are
notorious for weak strikes.

Mint Luster - Unless I was looking for a slabbed something in MS, luster isn't
important.

HTH,
Jerry

"Winde Walker" asks:

Old March 24th 04, 02:52 PM
Dale Hallmark

"Winde Walker" wrote in message
in grading a coin they say this or that is most important. I want to
find out what you think is most important of the following 4 items. In
fact I would like you to order them on how important you think they are.

Mint Luster
Knicks and other scars
fullness of strike
eye appeal

1. eye appeal
2. Knicks and other scars
3. Mint Luster
4. fullness of strike

Dale

Old March 24th 04, 02:59 PM
Ira Stein

Winde asks:

in grading a coin they say this or that is most important. I want to
find out what you think is most important of the following 4 items. In
fact I would like you to order them on how important you think they are.

Mint Luster
Knicks and other scars
fullness of strike
eye appeal

Tell me how you would order them. I am taking a survey. Ok so it won't
change the world or bring about world peace but it will let me rest
easier as this bugs me.

I am assuming you are referring to Mint State coins.

Ranking in order of importance from a grading standpoint:

1. Eye appeal
2. Luster
3. Nicks and other marks or toning irregularities
4. Fullness of strike

Of course, #2-4 make up the typical components of eye appeal.

That's why major grading companies, at least the top two, market grade rather
than grade technically, as some of you seem to say you prefer.

I wonder if that would really be the case when confronted with the coin of your
desires?

Ira Stein
Old March 24th 04, 04:36 PM
Phil DeMayo

Winde Walker wrote:

in grading a coin they say this or that is most important. I want to
find out what you think is most important of the following 4 items. In
fact I would like you to order them on how important you think they are.

Mint Luster
Knicks and other scars
fullness of strike
eye appeal

1. Eye Appeal
2. - 4. see above since "eye appeal" would take into account the remaining 3
characteristics.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old March 24th 04, 05:32 PM
Bill Krummel

"Winde Walker" wrote in message
in grading a coin they say this or that is most important. I want to
find out what you think is most important of the following 4 items. In
fact I would like you to order them on how important you think they are.

I can't rank them.

Mint Luster- yep, if affordable, the bolder the better

Knicks and other scars- yep, the bigger or more numerous, the less

desireable

fullness of strike- yep, the better the strike, the more desireable

eye appeal- yep, although I think this is the sum of the other three

Bill