A collection of two books

Old July 23rd 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jon Meyers

Default A collection of two books

Some time back, someone wondered whether or not a "collection", properly
speaking, could consist of as few as two books. To demonstrate that it
can, and that there is no niche so narrow that someone hasn't squeezed
into it, I offer the article, "An Analysis of America's Two Threshing
Novels," by Dr. Robert T. Rhode. You can read it here--
http://www.steamtraction.com/archive/5004/ --at the website of
"America's only steam and threshing enthusiast magazine."

--Jon Meyers
Old July 23rd 06, 11:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bob

Jon Meyers wrote:
Some time back, someone wondered whether or not a "collection", properly
speaking, could consist of as few as two books. To demonstrate that it
can, and that there is no niche so narrow that someone hasn't squeezed
into it, I offer the article, "An Analysis of America's Two Threshing
Novels," by Dr. Robert T. Rhode. You can read it here--
http://www.steamtraction.com/archive/5004/ --at the website of
"America's only steam and threshing enthusiast magazine."

Well, much as that sounds like a real page-turner, I'll have to pass.

Old July 23rd 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Jon Meyers wrote:
Some time back, someone wondered whether or not a "collection", properly
speaking, could consist of as few as two books. To demonstrate that it
can, and that there is no niche so narrow that someone hasn't squeezed
into it, I offer the article, "An Analysis of America's Two Threshing
Novels," by Dr. Robert T. Rhode. You can read it here--
http://www.steamtraction.com/archive/5004/ --at the website of
"America's only steam and threshing enthusiast magazine."

Cool review. I have to admit that for myself there probably couldn't be
a two item collection, because I am too compulsively completist. If I
tried to collect those two books, I'd wind up getting all the novels
with Any mention of threshing, however brief, or I'd branch out into
other kinds of agricultural implements or something. Coolaceous
concept, though.

chiwito

Old July 23rd 06, 09:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jon Meyers

Bob wrote:
Jon Meyers wrote:
...the article, "An Analysis of America's Two Threshing
Novels," by Dr. Robert T. Rhode. You can read it here--
http://www.steamtraction.com/archive/5004/ --at the website of
"America's only steam and threshing enthusiast magazine."

Well, much as that sounds like a real page-turner, I'll have to pass.

Okay, but you're also going to miss the story of a 1920 thresher
extracted from a barn in Indiana using two pickups, a John Deere 830
diesel tractor, and a "disconnect lowboy [trailer] outfitted with a
hydraulic winch." Your loss, I think.

--Jon Meyers

Old July 23rd 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bob

Jon Meyers wrote:
Okay, but you're also going to miss the story of a 1920 thresher
extracted from a barn in Indiana using two pickups, a John Deere 830
diesel tractor, and a "disconnect lowboy [trailer] outfitted with a
hydraulic winch." Your loss, I think.

I have DirecTV and one of the stations (RFD) has a program for tractor
fans - they show all sorts of old tractors and some other farm
equipment. As corny as it sounds for a big city boy like me, I find the
show fascinating! Maybe I will check out the thresher books after all
:-
--
RWF

Old July 24th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

I could gather enough titles to fill a shelf or two of farm-machine
fiction.

OK, what novels feature cranes (the featherless mechanical sort)?

A friend of mine is a crane buff (preferably cranes used in quarrying,
but cranes used in small-scale coastal shipping are another interest).
Until now it hadn't occurred to me that there might be any fiction
about them, but who knows?

Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Midlothian, Scotland
Old July 24th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
I could gather enough titles to fill a shelf or two of farm-machine
fiction.

OK, what novels feature cranes (the featherless mechanical sort)?

A friend of mine is a crane buff (preferably cranes used in quarrying,
but cranes used in small-scale coastal shipping are another interest).
Until now it hadn't occurred to me that there might be any fiction
about them, but who knows?

Children's books. Lots of cranes in them, especially the older
1940s-1970s books aimed at pre video-game boys.

Kris

Old July 24th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
garyjbp

Jon Meyers wrote:
Some time back, someone wondered whether or not a "collection", properly
speaking, could consist of as few as two books. To demonstrate that it
can, and that there is no niche so narrow that someone hasn't squeezed
into it, I offer the article, "An Analysis of America's Two Threshing
Novels," by Dr. Robert T. Rhode. You can read it here--
http://www.steamtraction.com/archive/5004/ --at the website of
"America's only steam and threshing enthusiast magazine."

Great article Jon. What caused you to get interested in that?

While I doubt anybody has a book collection consisting of only those
two books, the article caused me to think of my good old Dad. In a
sense he had a book collection of only two books, and one of them was
"The Thresher". He never bought any books on his own, but he did ask
me to track down two books for him. One was "The Thresher", and the
other was "The Day of the Bonanza". The second is non-fiction,
describing the settling of western Minnesota and eastern North Dakota,
including descriptions of early steam threshers. However, my Dad
probably was not motivated by sentimentality for steam threshers, but
because both books came from the area where he grew up. His father
paid for his passage to America by working for a few years in North
Dakota, and The Day of the Bonanza has a picture of the crew on a farm
there in which I believe my grandfather figures.

I now have both books in my collection, as my Dad died a few years ago.

Gary Pfeifer
Nederland, Colorado