What's with fairly recent Modern Library prices?

Old July 14th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
reposter

Default What's with fairly recent Modern Library prices?

"Gene Mierzejewski" wrote in message
. ..
Scott,

To help pay off the bills from my older daughter's wedding a year ago and

my
younger daughter's college education (which included a stint at Oxford
University last summer), I've been selling off much of my 40-year-plus

book
collection at Amazon.com. To arrive at the prices I ask, I check not only
third-party sellers at Amazon but also price listings at abebooks.com,
alibris.com and addall.com.

Some of the prices are not surprising, such as those for the Arkham House
editions and specialty science fiction and fantasy titles I picked up in

my
youth in the late '60s and early '70s. (I had a chance to buy a mint copy

of
Lovercraft's "The Outsider" for $100 at a SF convention's hucksters room

in
1970, but $100 might as well have been $100,000 for me back then.) I

haven't
begun to list these books for sale yet.

While I've been stunned by the popularity and/or asking prices of some
general titles I've listed, I've been floored by the prices of recent

Modern
Library editions. On the websites I mentioned above, at least a dozen of

my
books are listed with heftier than expected values, including several at
$100+. I (almost) can understand the rage for hypermodern first editions,
but the thought of hypermodern Modern Library editions will fry one's

brain.

And it's not BS. I've sold several ML titles at Amazon for sums beyond my
wildest dreams, topping out with a copy of Hunter Thompson's "Fear and
Loathing in Las Vegas" for $75. I doubt if my first edition of "Fear and
Loathing on the Campaign Trail" would do so well (although I'd really have
to be desperate to list that book).

So I'm still baffled why recent Modern Library have hypermodern first
prices.

Thanks again, Scott

Gene Mierzejewski

Gene,

I haven't noticed the trend you're talking about. There have been a
number of early, scarce ML titles in dust jackets that have sold at
fairly high prices, but not excessively so.

- Scot Kamins

"Scot Kamins" wrote in message
In article ,
"Gene Mierzejewski" wrote:

I know some regular posters (and, no doubt, some lurkers here) are
interested in Modern Library editions, which I enjoy immensely. I'm
baffled,
however, by the prices commanded by recent Modern Library editions.
Fairly
recent ML editions of books by Anton Chekhov, Edith Wharton and even

the
Good Doctor, Hunter S. Thompson, are going for astronomical prices on
line.
One would think their books were hypermodern first editions.

Would anyone know if the situation is a case of low supply or high
demand? I can't imagine paying $100 or more for a ML edition that's

less
than a decade old.

Many thanks in advance,
Gene Mierzejewski

Reposted so as to help clear some of the rubbish from the
listings and cache, which may otherwise deter casual readers

Old July 14th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
reposter

"Gene Mierzejewski" wrote:

While I've been stunned by the popularity and/or asking prices of some
general titles I've listed, I've been floored by the prices of recent

Modern
Library editions. On the websites I mentioned above, at least a dozen of

my
books are listed with heftier than expected values, including several at
$100+. I (almost) can understand the rage for hypermodern first

editions,
but the thought of hypermodern Modern Library editions will fry one's

brain.

I've also seen MLs listed at preposterous prices, Why anybody would pay
that much is beyond me, since most newer ML titles are on eBay at
frequent intervals for reading copy prices.

And it's not BS. I've sold several ML titles at Amazon for sums beyond

my
wildest dreams, topping out with a copy of Hunter Thompson's "Fear and
Loathing in Las Vegas" for $75

You got lucky. It happens.

I remember just after Thompson died that MLs -- nearly all reprints --
were going for top rates, but just for a couple of weeks when idiot
speculators realized that recent MLs are printed in seriously high
numbers

So I'm still baffled why recent Modern Library have hypermodern first
prices.

There is no good reason. Sometimes people are just stupid.

Old July 14th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
reposter

wrote in message
oups.com...

Scot Kamins wrote:
In article ,
"Gene Mierzejewski" wrote:

While I've been stunned by the popularity and/or asking prices of some
general titles I've listed, I've been floored by the prices of recent

Modern
Library editions. On the websites I mentioned above, at least a dozen

of my
books are listed with heftier than expected values, including several

at
$100+. I (almost) can understand the rage for hypermodern first

editions,
but the thought of hypermodern Modern Library editions will fry one's

brain.

I've also seen MLs listed at preposterous prices, Why anybody would pay
that much is beyond me, since most newer ML titles are on eBay at
frequent intervals for reading copy prices.

If you used Addall.com frequently, you would not
'be surprised by preposterous prices. With a great
many contemporary first editions, it is common
to see someone asking anywhere from $75 to
several hundred dollars for a book someone
else is trying to sell (in identical condition)
for $20 or less. When I check on a book
in Addall and get my listings in descending price
order, if I see there are 95 copies listed for
sale, and the highest priced one is listed at
$300, then I immediately realize the book is
not worth much, and scrolling down the listings
usually proves me right, because if there are
95 copes listed starting at $300, there there are
going to be many in the same condition at far
lower prices. On the other had,
if there are THREE copies listed beginning
at $300, then the book might be valuable.
As far as someone trying to sell a book for
several hundred dollars when there are many
dozens of copies on sale, including what looks
like the identical book for ten or fifteen dollars,
then it is hard to conclude anything other than
that the person at the top of the descending
price list is looking for those suckers who
are supposed to be born every minute...Face it
folks, there are some shady operators out
there.

[Memo from the upstairs office.]

Old July 14th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
reposter

"Gene Mierzejewski" wrote in message
I've been a book collector since the dinosaurs ruled Earth (or so it
seems), so I can see and -- especially -- smell B.S. when I come across

it.
When I check prices at abebooks, alibris and addall, I ignore any whacky
high prices that are listed. I want to sell my books at a fair price, not
hope that some idiot will pay 15 times the value of a book because a

website
told him or her to make the purchase. I usually find an equitable
collector-to-collector price. My goal is to find a good home for a good
book.

A friend of mine retired about 20 years ago and sold his book

collection
of about 700 harcover titles -- nearly all first editions -- for a buck
apiece to a local shop. I swore then that would never happen to me and it
hasn't, thanks to Amazon.com.

As for Modern Library titles, I'm not sure they are wanted or

needed.But
I like 'em.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old July 14th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
reposter

"Gene Mierzejewski" wrote:

As for Modern Library titles, I'm not sure they are wanted or

needed.But
I like 'em.

Are you insane? Of course they're wanted and needed!!!!!

----Scot Kamins
Webmaster, Dogeared.com (soon to be ModernLib.com),
Home of the Modern Library Collector on the Interne

Old July 14th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
reposter

wrote in message
oups.com...

Scot Kamins wrote:
In article ,
"Gene Mierzejewski" wrote:

As for Modern Library titles, I'm not sure they are wanted or

needed.But
I like 'em.

Are you insane? Of course they're wanted and needed!!!

He made some good points in a thoughtful
post, but I did not go along with that comment
either, nor understand why he would make it.

By the way. most serious collectors of
Modern Library editions want books
published no later than the mid-1960's
and they want their books to have dust
jackets. Unless they merely want reading
copies, that is, and if they do they are
not serious collectors in the first place.
By the way, does anyone know of
a good Modern Library collectors'
website which has a great many pictures
of Modern Library covers prior to the
mid-1960's? I noticed posters
here touting various Modern Library
sites, but the ones I have visited were
sadly skimpy regarding cover photographs
of older Modern Libraries. They only
had a few such pictures, whereas they
should have had several hundred.

Old July 14th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
R. Totale

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:31:57 +0100, "reposter"
wrote:

Reposted so as to help clear some of the rubbish from the
listings and cache, which may otherwise deter casual readers

You don't have a ****ing clue as to how Usenet works, do you? You
probably don't even know what Usenet is. Go Google it. Hint: it ain't
Google Groups.

Old July 14th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
reposter

wrote:

Reposted so as to help clear some of the rubbish from the
listings and cache, which may otherwise deter casual readers

You don't have a ****ing clue as to how Usenet works, do you?

Before the reposted material was posted, the Current Views Column
of my Newsreader was filled with posts with the following thread
titles.

I WANT TO -F U C K- someone IN THE A S S ! ! !
F U C K Y O U A L L ! ! ! ! !
Why does everyone hate me???
I'm going to kill myself!!!
I WANT TO DIE ! ! !
I want to do porn!!!

These are more than enough to dissuade any casual readers from wanting
to read any more

Now it isn't.

I can only assume that you yourself are an imposter, adopting the
identity of a regular poster on this NewsGroup, simply in order to
adopt an abusive tone and cause even more dissention on this group.

Warning: please try not to antagonise or openly confront the imposters,
trolls, spammers, or other malcontents infecting this NewsGroup at the
present time - or otherwise openly discuss the issues involved. As this
only gives such people the recognition they so desperately crave. Or
if, despite this, the temptation is still too great, then please remove
all crosspostings and check any follow-ups which may have been set
before replying. As this at least should prevent too many other
malcontents from being drawn in.
Thank you.

Old July 14th 06, 11:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
R. Totale

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:20:59 +0100, "reposter"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Reposted so as to help clear some of the rubbish from the
listings and cache, which may otherwise deter casual readers

You don't have a ****ing clue as to how Usenet works, do you?

Before the reposted material was posted, the Current Views Column
of my Newsreader was filled with posts with the following thread
titles....

Now it isn't.

How nice for you. You really =don't= have a ****ing clue as to how
Usenet works, do you?

Old July 14th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
reposter

"R. Totale" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:20:59 +0100, "reposter"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
Modern Library: new collector BookEditions Books 2 March 10th 04 10:50 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 09:18 PM
Modern Library Editions mlbookie Books 2 November 25th 03 02:23 AM
Modern Library ListrServ surpasses 100 members Scot Kamins Books 0 October 23rd 03 06:57 AM