Zip Lock bags for storage

Old February 15th 04, 02:15 AM
Steve

Default Zip Lock bags for storage

I've received stamps in Kitchen "Zip-Loc" bags and store some
common used stamps in them.

How safe or how bad are Zip Loc bags for stamp storage of extras?

Thank you,
Steve

Old February 15th 04, 02:24 AM
Rodney

Good question,
I have recently been through I phossick box I bought
at auction, that has approval sheets in cellophane.
Presumably some had been sealed in the 60's
and have travelled extremely well, seemingly
pristine after all these years in a medium by all accounts
is not well advised.
I have most of my collections in glassine, yet just yesterday
found a site that advised, "under no circumstances" keep
stamps in these see through envelopes.

--

(Remove gum to reply)

Old February 15th 04, 06:13 AM
RRoyPERFIN

How safe or how bad are Zip Loc bags for stamp storage of extras?

Unless the bags are marked "archival quality" I suspect that plasticizers have
been used in the manufacture of the material. This is known to have deleterious
effects on stamps.
Old February 16th 04, 01:15 AM
AK47

RRoyPERFIN wrote:
How safe or how bad are Zip Loc bags for stamp storage of extras?

Unless the bags are marked "archival quality" I suspect that plasticizers have
been used in the manufacture of the material. This is known to have deleterious
effects on stamps.

I think this depends on
how common are the stamps? and
how long are you going to keep them.

I keep my collection of bulk mail and 37cent flags that I am checking
for varities differently than I keep my US C3a and my 1 cent magenta
British Guiana. g

--
To e-mail me get rid of the cats and dogs.