Sunlight and what to do about it

Old August 6th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
LiRM

Default Sunlight and what to do about it

On 5 Aug 2006 12:33:26 -0700, "
wrote:

No offense but blocking out 99% of the rays that cause fading still
leaves 1% of the rays to get through, resulting in fading, even if it
is more slowly...or am I totally off base in my logic there?. I'd tend
to put my less valuable books at the front of the case and the others
in the back. Perhaps the light doesn't extend to the very back of the
case? We have a bookcase like that. The books in front? If they weren't
paperbacks, they'd be ruined (and even the paperbacks have some
sunning). THe books in back? Not a sign of sunning or fading.
It may not be the most attractive solution but it may come down
to a choice between the books and the aesthetics of the look you want
with the case and the books.

I want them presentable, so while I appreciate your ideas about
storage, it would defeat my purpose.

The point and question about that extra 1 percent of sunlight is a
good one. I don't have a clue - hopefully someone else does.

LiRM wrote:
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 14:28:16 -0400, Denton Taylor
wrote:

I do believe 3M was the first to market with this stuff. See
http://www.3m.com/us/arch_construct/...ige/index.html
for the latest.

3M has great tech support; I would email them and ask what the best
product would be for your application.

Denton

Bingo. This looks exactly like what I need. From the site, it states
that it will reflect over 99 percent of the UV rays, which are
responsible for fading.

Thank you for this - it's much appreciated, Denton.

Regards,

LiRM

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 11:10:52 -0400, LiRM wrote:

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:20:51 -0700, "DfKNG" wrote:

Any suggestions, comments and products would be greatly appreciated.

There is a product called curtains. They make them for windows and they
should keep the sun out.

I had to laugh in simply the way you expressed that, as I've done the
same

They would be, of course, an obvious solution. I should have stated
that the largest area that the sun makes it's way in is via the huge
half circle above our double wide french front doors. After talking
it over with my wife last night, she isn't too keen on either tinting
it or covering it. I more or less agree with her on it, as it does
bring in some nice afternoon sun.

So that changes my goal.

I guess I'm going to have to find a tint laminate that I can apply to
the bookshelf doors myself, unless I can find a place that does it
relatively inexpensively.

Moving the bookshelves isn't an option, for various reasons.

So if anyone has used a product like this with success, a name brand
and source would be helpful.

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards,

LiRM

Old August 6th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Kris Baker

"LiRM" wrote in message
On 5 Aug 2006 12:33:26 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Do you have a room with a north-facing window, that only
gets directly sunlight for those few days around the summer
solstice? I do. My six-year-old wood floor has obvious fading,
visible when I removed the area rug. If those few days of sun
are going to fade a high-cost wood floor, what would happen
if I had bookshelves in there?

If your books are only there to decorate the bookcases,
then do nothing. Otherwise, you may need to find decorative
books for the cases and put your collection elsewhere.

Kris