First American Edition of Shakespeare's Plays and Poems

Old July 3rd 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jerry Morris

Default First American Edition of Shakespeare's Plays and Poems

I will be querying several university libraries shortly to see if they
are interested in acquiring the following set:

Shakespeare, William (1564-1616)

The Plays and Poems of William Shakspeare. Corrected from the latest
and best London editions, with notes, by Samuel Johnson, L.L.D., to
which are added, a glossary and the life of the author. Embellished
with a striking likeness from the collection of His Grace the Duke of
Chandos. 1st American ed.. Philadelphia. Printed and sold by Bioren &
Madan, 1795-96.

I'm hoping that one of our RCB members has access to either Eureka,
Worldcat, or RLIN, and can provide me with an updated list of current
owners of this set. I have the infomation on the twenty-five libraries
from the pre-1956 NUC and information extracted from the ESTC in
December 2000. I have discovered signinficant differences between the
NUC and the ESTC lists, and thus the request for updated information.

I'm also hoping an RCB member has access to either the American Book
Prices Current (ABPC) CD or the Bookman's Price Index, and can provide
me with auction records of this set for the past twenty-five years.

The last sale of this set at auction that I am aware of is the
Parke-Bernet Galleries auction of the Frank J. Hogan Library in April,
1946. Surely, there have been more recent sales of this set at auction,
but I haven't found them.

Whomever has access to these references should take note of the spelling
of Shakespeare's name, with the first "e" omitted in his name in the
title. Some references will include the first "e." I found it worked
best to search for "Plays and Poems of William" and work from there.

If you want to send the info off-list, drop the "not" in my email
address and you got me.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry Morris,
Man of Other People's Books

Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
Moi's LIbrary http://www.moislibrary.com My Sentimental Library
http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary Florida Bibliophile Society
http://www.floridabibliophilesociety.org

Old July 4th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Scrooge

The Plays and Poems of William Shakspeare. Corrected from the latest
and best London editions, with notes, by Samuel Johnson, L.L.D., to
which are added, a glossary and the life of the author. Embellished
with a striking likeness from the collection of His Grace the Duke of
Chandos. 1st American ed.. Philadelphia. Printed and sold by Bioren &
Madan, 1795-96.

---Nothing the 3 Book Prices used and Rare that I have 1994, 1995, 1996.

---American Book Prices Current 1954 (index only)
1795-96, Phila. 1st American Ed. 8 Vols. $80.00

---Bookman's Price Index Vol 47 for the year 1993. (Most recent I have)
Philadelphia: printed and sold by Bioren & Madan, 1795-96.
1st American collected edition; 12mo; 8 volumes; contemporary sheep,
spines gilt, contrasting red and blue morocco labels, In four cloth
slipcases; fair amount of light foxing and toning throughout; bindings
in
splendid condition, couple of spines have been slightly chafed at
top, but hinges are perfect, overall very pretty; from private
collection of Michael Papantonio. Evans 29496 and 31180.
Ximenes Rare Books 19 East 69th St. New York, NY 10021
94-245 1993 $15,000.00

I have several more volumes of Bookman's and it happened to be
in the first one I looked in. If you want me to look in the rest, let me
know. I should have some more time later in the week.

Hope this helps and congratulations on the nice set.

Rich

Old July 4th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jerry Morris

Rich,

As Ed Sullivan used to say, "Wonderful, just wonderful!"

Thanks for researching the info from the BPIs.

Sandy Malcolm, my London friend, stopped at the British Library, and
gathered the auction information and a list of current owners (I wasn't
listed as one of the owners) :-).

There were five sets sold at auction between 1950 and 1961; however,
their condition was rather poor, and it showed in the prices realized.
One set, a 1959 set, was owned by the millionaire, Clendenin J. Ryan
and was sold for $150. No set has appeared at auction in the last 45
years.

Before testing the auction waters though, I just might see what a few
chosen university librarians have to offer first.

Thanks again!

Jerry Morris,
Man of Other People's Books

(Scrooge)
The Plays and Poems of William Shakspeare. Corrected from the latest and
best London editions, with notes, by Samuel Johnson, L.L.D., to which
are added, a glossary and the life of the author. Embellished with a
striking likeness from the collection of His Grace the Duke of Chandos.
1st American ed.. Philadelphia. Printed and sold by Bioren & Madan,
1795-96.
---Nothing the 3 Book Prices used and Rare that I have 1994, 1995, 1996.
---American Book Prices Current 1954 (index only) * 1795-96, Phila.
1st American Ed. 8 Vols. * $80.00
---Bookman's Price Index Vol 47 for the year 1993. (Most recent I have)
* Philadelphia: printed and sold by Bioren & Madan, 1795-96. * 1st

Old July 4th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter

Scrooge wrote:

The Plays and Poems of William Shakspeare. Corrected from the latest
and best London editions, with notes, by Samuel Johnson, L.L.D., to
which are added, a glossary and the life of the author. Embellished
with a striking likeness from the collection of His Grace the Duke of
Chandos. 1st American ed.. Philadelphia. Printed and sold by Bioren &
Madan, 1795-96.

---Nothing the 3 Book Prices used and Rare that I have 1994, 1995, 1996.

And nothing in the three volumes I have - 1993, 1998, 1999.

Francis A. Miniter
Old July 4th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Allison Turner-

on Mon, 3 Jul 2006 12:07:00 -0400, Jerry Morris stated:

I will be querying several university libraries shortly to see if they
are interested in acquiring the following set:

Shakespeare, William (1564-1616)

The Plays and Poems of William Shakspeare. Corrected from the latest
and best London editions, with notes, by Samuel Johnson, L.L.D., to
which are added, a glossary and the life of the author. Embellished
with a striking likeness from the collection of His Grace the Duke of
Chandos. 1st American ed.. Philadelphia. Printed and sold by Bioren &
Madan, 1795-96.

I'm hoping that one of our RCB members has access to either Eureka,
Worldcat, or RLIN, and can provide me with an updated list of current

^^^^^^^^
owners of this set.

Found some:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The plays and poems of William Shakespeare.
Author: Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.; Johnson, Samuel,
Publication: Philadelphia, Printed and sold by Bioren & Madan, 1795-1796
Document: English : Book
Libraries Worldwide: 31

IL NEWBERRY LIBR IBV
AZ PHOENIX PUB LIBR PNX
CA CLAREMONT COL, THE HDC
CA UNIV OF CALIFORNIA, LOS ANGELES CLU
CT TRINITY COL TYC
CT YALE UNIV LIBR YUS
DC GEORGETOWN UNIV DGU
DC LIBRARY OF CONGRESS LNN
DE UNIV OF DELAWARE DLM
MA AMHERST COL AMH
MA BOSTON ATHENAEUM BAT
MA BRANDEIS UNIV LIBR MBB
MA HARVARD UNIV, HOUGHTON LIBR HHG
MA WILLIAMS COL WCM
MD JOHNS HOPKINS UNIV JHE
NC DUKE UNIV LIBR NDD
NH DARTMOUTH COL DRB
NY BROOKLYN PUB LIBR BKL
NY COLGATE UNIV VVC
NY NEW YORK HIST SOC ARCH NHL
NY NEW YORK PUB LIBR RES LIBR NYP
PA FREE LIBR OF PHILADELPHIA PLF
PA LEHIGH UNIV LYU
PA URSINUS COL URS
TX UNIV OF TEXAS, AUSTIN, HARRY RANSOM HRH
UT SOUTHERN UTAH UNIV UUA
VA COLLEGE OF WILLIAM & MARY VWM
VT NORWICH UNIV NRU
WI MILWAUKEE CNTY FEDERATED LIBR SYST GZD
WV WEST LIBERTY STATE COL WVX
WV WEST VIRGINIA UNIV LIBR WVU

The plays and poems of William Shakespeare;
collected from the latest and best London editions, with notes,
Author: Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.
Publication: Philadelphia, Bioren, 1795, ?
Document: English : Book
Libraries Worldwide: 1

PA FRANKLIN & MARSHALL COL LFM

Author: Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.; Johnson, Samuel,; De Renne,, and
others
Publication: Philadelphia : Printed and sold by Bioren & Madan, 1795-1796
Document: English : Book
Libraries Worldwide: 1

MI UNIV OF MICHIGAN LIBR EYM

Author: Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.
Publication: Philadelphia : Printed and sold by Bioren & Madan, 1795-1796
Document: English : Book
Libraries Worldwide: 3

CA UNIV OF CALIFORNIA, SANTA CRUZ CUZ
DC LIBRARY OF CONGRESS DLC
MO DRURY UNIV MOD

The plays and poems of William Shakespeare /
Author: Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.; Johnson, Samuel,
Publication: Philadelphia : Printed and sold by Bioren & Madan, 1796
Document: English : Book
Libraries Worldwide: 2

NY NEW YORK STATE LIBR NYG
OH KENT STATE UNIV KSU

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Interesting how many different listings there are for one
title. Doesn't anyone ever check these things? (Yes, I
know, it must be a *huge* database. But still.)

-Allison

--
..
Old July 4th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jerry Morris

Thanks Allison!

As you will soon see, it is even harder today to obtain an accurate
census of this set than it was seventy years ago.

In his book, "Early American Books and Printing," Cambridge, 1935, John
T. Winterich only knew the whereabouts of about twelve copies of this
set, a third of which were imperfect (Print-collectors removed the
engraving of Shakespeare).

As of 1956, the American Library Association could account for only 25
copies, the libraries of which were listed in the pre-1956 National
Union Catalog (NUC)

In December 2000, I queried the Folger Library concerning the number of
sets accounted for. Georgianna Ziegler, Head of Reference, emailed an
updated list from the online English Short-title Catalog (ESTC). This
list showed 29 libraries possessing this set; however, nine of the
libraries weren't identified in the NUC. Moreover, some of the
libraries identified in the NUC weren't identified in the ESTC.

The current WorldCat listing identifies 25 libraries which were not
identified in the pre-1956 NUC list. Are there 25 more copies accounted
for? I don't think so.

Compounding the problem today is the fact that many libraries have this
set in microform. Some libraries have this set in an electronic
resource edition produced, I believe, by Gale Groups.

Some of the libraries listed on the WorldCat list only have the
electronic resource or microform editions, and not the books themselves.
Some libraries don't have complete sets, but not all databases contain
that information. For example, Franklin and Marshall College is listed
on the WorldCat list, but it wasn't listed on the NUC or ESTC lists. A
check of the Franklin and Marshall College online library catalogue
reveals that it has the microform edition. It also has Volume 2 in book
form only. I have my doubts if Ursinus College even has a microform or
electronic resource version, as a check of their library catalogue
reveals nothing.

I was surprised that the Harry Ransom Center, University of Texas,
Austin, was on the WorldCat list because I was going to include it on my
short list of prospective buyers. It wasn't listed on either the NUC or
ESTC lists. I'm confused now as well as surprised, because a check of
the online catalogue at the Harry Ransom Center shows an electronic
resource edition, but no book form. I will have to query them.

In short, if one is only concerned with sets in book form, current lists
of libraries holding copies of this set are unreliable: they don't
always differentiate between book form, electronic resource form, or
microform. From an academic point of view, however, all the scholar
might be concerned with is the availability of the text, whether it be
in electronic resource form, microform, or book form.

Perhaps, the academic establishment needs to conduct a census of this
edition of the "Plays and Poems of William Shakspeare," and require
holding libraries to include shelfmarks of their holdings. I would
think the shelfmarks would differentiate between what is an electronic
version or microform, versus what is a book form. I'll have to propose
this to the exlilbris list, either before or after I sell my set.

Jerry Morris,
Man of Other People's Books

[...]
The plays and poems of William Shakespeare. Author: Shakespeare,
William, 1564-1616.; Johnson, Samuel, Publication: Philadelphia, Printed
[...]
The plays and poems of William Shakespeare; collected from the latest
and best London editions, with notes, Author: Shakespeare, William,
1564-1616. Publication: Philadelphia, Bioren, 1795, ? Document: English
: Book Libraries Worldwide: 1
PA * * FRANKLIN & MARSHALL COL LFM
The plays and poems of William Shakspeare : corrected from the latest
and best London editions / Author: Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.;
Johnson, Samuel,; De Renne,, and others
Publication: Philadelphia : Printed and sold by Bioren & Madan,
1795-1796
Document: English : Book
Libraries Worldwide: 1
MI * * UNIV OF MICHIGAN LIBR * EYM
The plays and poems of William Shakespeare : corrected from the latest
and best London editions, with notes / Author: Shakespeare, William,
1564-1616. Publication: Philadelphia : Printed and sold by Bioren &
Madan, 1795-1796 Document: English : Book Libraries Worldwide: 3
CA * * UNIV OF CALIFORNIA, SANTA CRUZ CUZ
DC * * LIBRARY OF CONGRESS * * DLC
MO * * DRURY UNIV * * MOD
The plays and poems of William Shakespeare / Author: Shakespeare,
William, 1564-1616.; Johnson, Samuel, Publication: Philadelphia :
Printed and sold by Bioren & Madan, 1796 Document: English : Book
Libraries Worldwide: 2
NY * * NEW YORK STATE LIBR * * NYG
OH * * KENT STATE UNIV KSU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Interesting how many different listings there are for one title. Doesn't
anyone ever check these things? (Yes, I know, it must be a *huge*
database. But still.)
-Allison
--
*..

Old July 4th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Allison Turner-

on Tue, 4 Jul 2006 09:58:30 -0400, Jerry Morris stated:

[...]
The current WorldCat listing identifies 25 libraries which were not
identified in the pre-1956 NUC list. Are there 25 more copies accounted
for? I don't think so.

Compounding the problem today is the fact that many libraries have this
set in microform. Some libraries have this set in an electronic
resource edition produced, I believe, by Gale Groups.

There were several microform listings or "electronic" or
"online" listings in Worldcat - I didn't include those in
the list I posted. However, it appears to me that the
libraries themselves enter their titles into Worldcat?
So it wouldn't be the least bit surprising if several of
them clicked on the first matching title they saw, and
listed their microform in one of the regular book entries.

I was going to suggest a hope that Worldcat would someday
be available to all and sundry, rather than just through
large university access (or whatever). But it does seem
as though it could use some work, first.

-Allison

--
..
Old July 28th 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jonathan J. Baker

In Allison Turner- writes:
on Tue, 4 Jul 2006 09:58:30 -0400, Jerry Morris stated:

Compounding the problem today is the fact that many libraries have this
set in microform. Some libraries have this set in an electronic
resource edition produced, I believe, by Gale Groups.

There were several microform listings or "electronic" or
"online" listings in Worldcat - I didn't include those in
the list I posted. However, it appears to me that the

I would think any library with the "Early American Imprints"
microprint set (like microfilm, but printed on paper) would
have this.

Just checked. Even if it's not in the NUC, Princeton has a copy,
albeit missing frontispiece & part of the t.p. in vol. 2.

That would be in addition to the Early American Imprints.

--
Jonathan Baker | Mishenichnas av mim'atin besmicha.
| Puns suspended for the duration.
Blog:
http://thanbook.blogspot.com Web page http://www.panix.com/~jjbaker/

Old July 28th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jerry Morris

Jonathan Baker wrote and I snipped:
Just checked. Even if it's not in the NUC, Princeton has a copy, albeit
missing frontispiece & part of the t.p. in vol. 2.
That would be in addition to the Early American Imprints.
--
Jonathan,*******

Thanks. I'll query Princeton to see if they're interested in acquiring
a set with the frontispiece. I've contacted a few university libraries
already, had a few nibbles, but so far, no bites. Funds are short. If
I don't sell it to a university library of my choosing, it will go on
the auction block sometime next year.

Best,
Jerry Morris

http://www.tinyurl.com/otmmg