Re-coating a multi-section power resistor

Old January 21st 13, 06:14 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Russel Willoughby

Default Re-coating a multi-section power resistor

Anyone have any suggestions for re-coating an old power resistor?

The amp I'm rebuilding (a Wurlitzer 661, from the 1930s) has a giant multi-section resistor. All but one of the sections is good, but much of the original coating has flaked away, leaving the coils of wire exposed and vulnerable to damage and short-circuits. I'd like to protect it with an enamel of some type, but I don't know what to use. Naturally it must be non-conductive and heat-resistant. Beyond that, I don't know.

Any knowledge, experience, or wild guesses are welcome. Thanks!

--- Russel Willoughby ---
Old January 21st 13, 07:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Russel Willoughby wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for re-coating an old power resistor?

The amp I'm rebuilding (a Wurlitzer 661, from the 1930s) has a giant multi-section resistor. All but one of the sections is good, but much of the original coating has flaked away, leaving the coils of wire exposed and vulnerable to damage and short-circuits. I'd like to protect it with an enamel of some type, but I don't know what to use. Naturally it must be non-conductive and heat-resistant. Beyond that, I don't know.

Any knowledge, experience, or wild guesses are welcome. Thanks!

--- Russel Willoughby ---

Originally these were coated with a thin ceramic coating - you need find
a suitable glaze and then bake it in a kiln

Remember that the resistor must RADIATE heat away from itself, so the
coating must be thin and not heat insulating.

In my opinion, if the resistor structure is solid, then mount it in such
a way that it is not vulnerable to touching anything and leave it alone
- the wire resistance element shouldn't care about being exposed to the
air unless the atmosphere is corrosive...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old January 21st 13, 09:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Terry S

a way that it is not vulnerable to touching anything and leave it
alone
- the wire resistance element shouldn't care about being exposed to the
air unless the atmosphere is corrosive...

And then you have other problems....
Old January 22nd 13, 06:42 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Terry S wrote:
a way that it is not vulnerable to touching anything and leave it
alone
- the wire resistance element shouldn't care about being exposed to the
air unless the atmosphere is corrosive...

And then you have other problems....

Indeed!

John ;-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old January 22nd 13, 04:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Russel Willoughby

John, thanks for the advice. I could probably get access to a kiln, but the risk/reward ratio for that process seems unfavorable. Anyway, this job is enough work without adding extra steps. I'm going to leave the thing as it is.

--- RW ---
Old January 22nd 13, 05:44 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Terry S

On Jan 21, 12:14*pm, Russel Willoughby
wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for re-coating an old power resistor?

The amp I'm rebuilding (a Wurlitzer 661, from the 1930s) has a giant multi-section resistor. All but one of the sections is good, but much of the original coating has flaked away, leaving the coils of wire exposed and vulnerable to damage and short-circuits. I'd like to protect it with an enamel of some type, but I don't know what to use. Naturally it must be non-conductive and heat-resistant. Beyond that, I don't know.

Any knowledge, experience, or wild guesses are welcome. Thanks!

* *--- Russel Willoughby ---

You could spray it with high temp engine enamel.
Old January 27th 13, 07:05 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Terry S

wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions for re-coating an old power resistor?

The amp I'm rebuilding (a Wurlitzer 661, from the 1930s) has a giant multi-section resistor. All but one of the sections is good, but much of the original coating has flaked away, leaving the coils of wire exposed and vulnerable to damage and short-circuits. I'd like to protect it with an enamel of some type, but I don't know what to use. Naturally it must be non-conductive and heat-resistant. Beyond that, I don't know.

Any knowledge, experience, or wild guesses are welcome. Thanks!

* *--- Russel Willoughby ---

Here's another idea -- take it to one of the shops that does custoom
ceramic coating for the car guys. They are always coating their
exhaust systems. I bet they would coat that for you for next to
nothing if you could sneak it in while they are coating parts for
someone else...

Just a thought.

Terry