TECH: Seeburg 100R Noise Behind Music

Old June 25th 11, 10:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
candlepinscott

Default TECH: Seeburg 100R Noise Behind Music

Hi, everyone! I'm new to this group, and new to fixing my jukebox.

I've had this Seeburg 100R in my family since the early '70s. It
never looked like much, but it played really great. Aside from
replacing needles from time to time, we never had any problems with
it. About seven years ago, it started making a weird noise when the
selector would travel to the next record. If the selector didn't
travel very far, the noise wouldn't start, but if there was a lot of
travel, it would start making this loud siren-type noise until the
record was picked up and played.

My father-in-law had some experience with jukeboxes before (he
restored another Seeburg jukebox previously). He took mine and did a
ton of work to tbe amps, as well as restoring the extrerior of the
unit (it looks great now!)

The problem is: now when the record plays, there is a static/whistling
noise behind the music when it plays. When the selector travels, the
noise goes away. Any guesses as to where this might be?

Thanks in advance!

- Scott
Old June 26th 11, 10:43 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Terry S

Well the amp should be muted while the selector is moving. So the
noise probably means the amp needs work. It might need a re-capping
(do you know what was done to it previously?) or it might be a tube or
resistor problem. Sounds like oscillation or feedback.

Terry.
Old June 27th 11, 07:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos[_2_]

On 6/25/2011 5:00 PM, candlepinscott wrote:
[...]

I'd suggest sending the amp out for repair. 400 volts can hurt so you
shouldn't be in the amp unless you know what you are doing.

Tony
Old June 30th 11, 04:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
candlepinscott

On Jun 26, 5:43*pm, Terry S wrote:
Well the amp should be muted while the selector is moving. So the
noise probably means the amp needs work. It might need a re-capping
(do you know what was done to it previously?) or it might be a tube or
resistor problem. Sounds like oscillation or feedback.

Terry.

My father-in-lew put all new caps in it, and I think he replaced most
of the tubes as well. The jukebox did make some noise before that, but
we were hoping that would be the problem...I guess it wasn't. I've
got a lot of experience working with electrical stuff, but I've never
tried to tackle an amp - nor would I know what I'm looming at... I
guess I'll need to find someone experienced in the area. Thanks
anyway!