Laos error.

Old June 28th 09, 04:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Laos error.

Laotian Orchids (2 errors)
SG322 (1971)
Ascocentrum miniatur

Orchid image is Ascocentrum Curieifolium

The name should end in "miniatum" not miniatur.

acknowledgement: Mr E Boon, Wadestown Wellington NZ

Old July 28th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Suggest this might not be an error, but a non-specific

Actually A..miniature ( yes a spelling error ) as one might use rosa
miniature (miniature rose ) using genus only rather than species.

Unless of course all other stamps in set show species +genus in which
case it is an error.

My RHS encyclopedia shows that there are only 5 species of this genus
only one of which is general cultivation ( NOT this one ). The range
of the genus is from the Himalayas to SE Asia via Myanmar, so it is
quite likely that only the one species is native to Laos - but my
Botany is not so advanced only sufficient for me to grow my plants -
and epyphitic orchids are a bit difficult in the UK !!

Malcolm

Old July 29th 09, 01:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

OK Malcolm,
I'll leave it to you.
I had my ear chewed off yesterday, for referring to a lady's Kunzea Baxterii
as a "bottlebrush".
You botanists are a strange mob.