Romania - "Spic de Griu" series 1893-1908

Old June 9th 11, 03:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rkj66

Default Romania - "Spic de Griu" series 1893-1908

Hello

Does anybody else here specialize in this stamp series?

Old June 11th 11, 09:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 6/10/2011 1:20 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
Does anybody else here specialize in this stamp series?

I would say that you ask here your question and we'll try to find the
answer, even if we are not necessarily specialized.

Eventually try to search the Web with "spic de grau" ,

75000 hits on google. adding 'stamp' reduces to 6200, mostly auctions.
"spic de grau' = spike of wheat = wheat ear
for the wheat ears on either side of the portrait.
Old June 18th 11, 04:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod222

Are you sure?
does wheat have hairs down the seed stem?

Maybe ear of Barley.

Old June 18th 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

"Terry wrote in message
On 6/10/2011 1:20 PM, Victor Manta wrote:
Does anybody else here specialize in this stamp series?

I would say that you ask here your question and we'll try to find the
answer, even if we are not necessarily specialized.

Eventually try to search the Web with "spic de grau" ,

75000 hits on google. adding 'stamp' reduces to 6200, mostly auctions.
"spic de grau' = spike of wheat

That is google's translation

= wheat ear for the wheat ears on either side of the portrait.

my idiom for 'spike of wheat', but I could have made a mistake.

Terry
Old June 19th 11, 11:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod222

Cheers Terry,
may seem I am a pedant, but curious as to what they would have grown
in Romania around that time, wheat seems obvious, but one never knows.
Barley may have been a hardier crop for local weather?
I don't know much about the pros cons of wheat v barley
Rod