ACCG appoints Dave Welsh as International Affairs Committee Chairman

Old November 23rd 04, 10:34 PM
Dave Welsh

Default ACCG appoints Dave Welsh as International Affairs Committee Chairman

The Fall 2004 issue of "The Guild in Review," official newsletter of the
Ancient Coin Collectors Guild, announces the appointment of Dave Welsh as
International Affairs Committee Chairman.

The International Affairs Committee provides a window to the world for the
ACCG and its various management groups. This committee compiles and archives
information about foreign laws and import/export procedures in source
countries. Among these, are actions taken under the British Treasure Trove
law. It tracks international events such as UNESCO, Unidroit and similar
conventions that have an impact on ancient coin collecting. It identifies
and maintains a dialogue with various organizations and government officials
in countries outside the U.S. The committee also serves as a liason to
individual members of the ACCG who live in countries outside of the U.S.

Asked for his expectations for this committee, Dave stated: "I have a strong
commitment to the international numismatic community. I have long believed
that the struggle to preserve and defend collectors' rights is international
in nature. The welfare of collectors in the U.S. will, in the long term, be
to a great extent determined by events in Europe and elsewhere in the world.
Conversely, collectors outside the U.S. understand that as the largest
collecting nation and the most important single market for ancient coins,
events in the U.S. will profoundly influence decisions elsewhere. It is thus
appropriate that the ACCG is headquartered in the U.S. and that its
immediate focus is to forestall or mitigate threats of adverse legislation
and regulations by the U.S. government."

"As the legal and political environment for collecting in the U.S. is
clarified and urgently needed action is taken to defend U.S. collectors'
rights, I expect the ACCG to develop an increasing focus on long term
international issues such as the 1995 Unidroit Convention. As listowner of
Unidroit-L, I have come to believe that should the U.S. accede to this
Convention as written, consequences for ancient coin and antiquities
collectors would be disastrous. The impact of this Convention elsewhere
varies with differences in national laws, but similar concerns also threaten
collectors all over the world."

"Existing and impending U.S. laws affecting collectors, primarily derived
from the 1970 UNESCO Convention, establish import controls on antiquities
including coins. The scope and effects of such controls can be complex. One
objective of this Committee will be to assist in developing information
resources and guidelines for importation of coins. Collectors and dealers
need such information to comply with the law. Those administering the law
presently have few resources to guide them in understanding which ancient
coins may be subject to its provisions, and need appropriate guidance."

"Finally, this Committee is a key resource for ACCG members outside the U.S.
It will keep them apprised of ACCG activities, and ensure that their voices
are heard by ACCG management. Those familiar with my work as Unidroit-L
Listowner will, I believe, be confident that concerns of international
members will receive appropriate attention."

ACCG members interested in joining this Committee should contact the
Chairman.
Contact information:
Dave Welsh

Chairman, International Affairs
Ancient Coin Collectors Guild
http://accg.us/
Unidroit-L Listowner
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Unidroit-L/
Classical Coins
http://www.classicalcoins.com/contact.html

An image of Dave Welsh may be found he
Dave Welsh
(http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group...towner&.src=gr
&.dnm=Dave+Welsh.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%)
If that link doesn't work go to
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Unidroit-L/lst and open the Listowner
album
A brief bio of Dave Welsh may be found he
ACCG BIO.doc
(http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/4LKjQSI...x_SOBa9sC1frlL
y4qsGLY8cuh8V7NpnfarqyKBlh)
If that link doesn't work go to