the series 2003 deuce

Old January 31st 04, 10:22 PM
ELurio

Default the series 2003 deuce

I finally got my hands on one, and that got me to wondering, after trying a
dozen banks, deuces are almost impossible to get. So why are they making them
again?

Almost nobody uses them. They didn't make any beween 1966 and 1976 and
everybody was fine with it. Everybody just took the 1976 deuces for a
bicentennial souvenier, which is what they were. Who besides collectors USES
these things?

Also, the BEP report for November shows 35 million series 2004 ones being
printed. Why? has there been any change in the design we don't know about?

eric l.
Old January 31st 04, 10:27 PM
Larry Louks

ELurio wrote:
Who besides collectors USES these things?

For 30 years or more, I've been regularly getting deuces at the bank ($100
or $200 worth at a time) and giving them as tips here and there. I have had
a lot of fun doing so and will likely continue this pleasant habit until
they shovel dirt in my face out there somewhere...

Larry

Old January 31st 04, 11:31 PM
Bob Flaminio

ELurio wrote:
I finally got my hands on one, and that got me to wondering, after
trying a dozen banks, deuces are almost impossible to get. So why are
they making them again?

Same reason as "they" make any denomination of coin or currency --
demand warrants it. There may not be *much* demand for twos, but there
is some -- sufficient to have to do a print run every few years.

Almost nobody uses them.

Emphasis on "almost".

Who besides collectors USES these things?

They're very popular for Chinese New Year's for putting into red
envelopes. If your nearby city has a "Chinatown", try a bank there for
twos -- you'll most likely be able to get as many as you want.

--
Bob

Old February 1st 04, 03:06 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

So why don't they print $500s anymore? I'm sure there would be even more demand
for them than there is for $2s.

Tom
Old February 1st 04, 03:21 AM
Ed Hendricks

"Malanutt 4 Life" wrote in message

So why don't they print $500s anymore? I'm sure there would be even
more demand for them than there is for $2s.

Tom

Large denomination bills make it easier to move drug money around. There
probably would be a big demand........most of it in the criminal world.

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old February 1st 04, 03:21 AM
Chris S

"ELurio" wrote:
Who besides collectors USES
these things?

Racetracks.

--Chris

Old February 1st 04, 03:26 AM
Frank Provasek

So why don't they print $500s anymore? I'm sure there would be even more
demand
for them than there is for $2s.

Part of the government's "if you want to carry cash, you must be doing
something shady" mentality.

When I worked at a coin storefront for ten years, we had MANY more people
wanting to know where
to get $500 and $1000 bills than wanting $2 bills.

--
RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO MINIMUMS http://www.frankcoins.com
Ebay Powerseller FRANKCOINS Texas Auction License 11259

Old February 1st 04, 03:50 AM
Ed Hendricks

"Frank Provasek" wrote in message
om
So why don't they print $500s anymore? I'm sure there would be even
more demand for them than there is for $2s.

Part of the government's "if you want to carry cash, you must be doing
something shady" mentality.

When I worked at a coin storefront for ten years, we had MANY more
people wanting to know where
to get $500 and $1000 bills than wanting $2 bills.

But were they wanting them to collect or to spend? There is demand and then
there is demand.

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old February 1st 04, 04:16 AM
Bob Flaminio

Malanutt 4 Life wrote:
So why don't they print $500s anymore? I'm sure there would be even
more demand for them than there is for $2s.

Well, the official answer is that large bills promote illegal cash-based
activity, such as drug dealing. The conspiratorial answer is that the
government wants to keep track of the movement of money. But the reality
is moreso that technology has made large denomination bills largely
obsolete. Why walk around with a pocket full of thousand dollar bills
when I can carry a little piece of plastic that is much more secure?

--
Bob

Old February 1st 04, 06:01 AM
Michael G. Koerner

Bob Flaminio wrote:

Malanutt 4 Life wrote:
So why don't they print $500s anymore? I'm sure there would be even
more demand for them than there is for $2s.

Well, the official answer is that large bills promote illegal cash-based
activity, such as drug dealing. The conspiratorial answer is that the
government wants to keep track of the movement of money. But the reality
is moreso that technology has made large denomination bills largely
obsolete. Why walk around with a pocket full of thousand dollar bills
when I can carry a little piece of plastic that is much more secure?

The lack of FRNs above $100 hasn't slowed things down at all in the
underworld, anyway. Just look at the millions of dollars of the USA
cash (mostly in $100 notes) that the USArmy found in Iraq throughout
last year. The only difference that the availability of $500 notes
would have had there is in the size and number of the boxes that they
were stored in.

--
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |