Selling suggestions please

Old May 20th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Selling suggestions please

My Dad collected quite a few coins. He knew nothing about coin values
(neither do I) but basically collected anything silver or different.
He also had many mint sets and uncirculated sets. I've been selling
the loose coins on Ebay and doing OK. Now I have all the sets to sell.

For some reason he bought many sets of 1970 and 1971 uncirculated sets.
I have no idea why. They are all in plastic with some type of token
indicating they are uncirculated. They have never been opened. I also
have a 1969 set and a couple of 1972. There are also many mint sets,
also mostly from the same year.

Am I better off selling the sets one at a time? I'm guessing there
aren't too many people that would want to buy 15 sets from 1970 for
example.

Should I try to sell some sets with running dates? ie 1969, 1970, 1971
and 1972 together?

Old May 20th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jane" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Dad collected quite a few coins. He knew nothing about coin values
(neither do I) but basically collected anything silver or different.
He also had many mint sets and uncirculated sets. I've been selling
the loose coins on Ebay and doing OK. Now I have all the sets to sell.

For some reason he bought many sets of 1970 and 1971 uncirculated sets.
I have no idea why. They are all in plastic with some type of token
indicating they are uncirculated. They have never been opened. I also
have a 1969 set and a couple of 1972. There are also many mint sets,
also mostly from the same year.

Am I better off selling the sets one at a time? I'm guessing there
aren't too many people that would want to buy 15 sets from 1970 for
example.

Should I try to sell some sets with running dates? ie 1969, 1970, 1971
and 1972 together?

I think selling sets individually is better. More people looking for a
single set for grandchild birthyear for example than looking for runs of
sets.

Old May 21st 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Brian Blackwell wrote:
"Jane" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I agree with Brian. When I'm looking for a specific year mint or proof
set, my searches usually bring up date runs beginning or ending with
the year I'm looking for. Somewhat annoying, but I overlook it.
Selling the sets individually would be the better way to go. But
don't list all 15 1970 sets at once. List one or two, let them run,
and list one or two more.

As for why the 1969-1972 sets, I don't know. The 1970 mint set
contains the 1970-D Kennedy half, the key to the series. 1971 was the
first year of the Eisenhower dollar. Those are the only reasons I can
think of.

Jerry

Old May 21st 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jane" wrote in message
oups.com...
My Dad collected quite a few coins. He knew nothing about coin values
(neither do I) but basically collected anything silver or different.
He also had many mint sets and uncirculated sets. I've been selling
the loose coins on Ebay and doing OK. Now I have all the sets to sell.

For some reason he bought many sets of 1970 and 1971 uncirculated sets.
I have no idea why. They are all in plastic with some type of token
indicating they are uncirculated. They have never been opened. I also
have a 1969 set and a couple of 1972. There are also many mint sets,
also mostly from the same year.

Am I better off selling the sets one at a time? I'm guessing there
aren't too many people that would want to buy 15 sets from 1970 for
example.

Should I try to sell some sets with running dates? ie 1969, 1970, 1971
and 1972 together?

You should have someone who knows how to grade coins look at the '70D
Kennedy halves because you can only find the gems in mint sets and a
half-way decent MS65 is worth a lot--like $40-50 bucks. Also if you have a
full step '70 Jefferson or even one that is close to a full step those are
worth a lot as well.
HTH

Old May 21st 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sat, 20 May 2006 23:14:51 GMT, bri wrote:

You should have someone who knows how to grade coins look at the '70D
Kennedy halves because you can only find the gems in mint sets and a
half-way decent MS65 is worth a lot--like $40-50 bucks. Also if you have a
full step '70 Jefferson or even one that is close to a full step those are
worth a lot as well.

Yes. He may have been buying the 1970s because he wanted to get lucky,
or he might have kept these because they are good examples of those two
key coins. So please do have those looked at, or learn for yourself how
to evaluate them.

As far as selling them, one set at a time, definately. Batch sales are fine
for low-value things, but these are high enough to warrant their own
listing. Having someone buy a few things they don't want to get one
they do, will only lower your final prices.

Dave Hinz
Old May 21st 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
oups.com...

As for why the 1969-1972 sets, I don't know. The 1970 mint set
contains the 1970-D Kennedy half, the key to the series. 1971 was the
first year of the Eisenhower dollar. Those are the only reasons I can
think of.

Jerry

Besides the1970-D Kennedy half, Some 1970 sets also contain the rare(r)
variety of the 1970-S Lincoln Set (referred to as lg. date and sm. date, or
high seven and low seven or level seven..) .. which, if present, could make
such a set much more valuable. Each one should be checked and a novice
seller should know what the two varieties of 1970-S cents look like and
which is the rare one and describe the set, if it's present, accordingly.

By the way, I'd argue that the 1998-S Matte Kennedy, with a mintage of
63,000, is the key to the series ..

Harv

Old May 21st 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
oups.com...

Brian Blackwell wrote:
"Jane" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I don't think the 1971 or the 1972 mint sets had the Ike dollars in them.

Old May 21st 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"e" wrote in message
In article , "Richard L. Hall"

wrote:

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
roups.com...

Brian Blackwell wrote:
"Jane" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

i seem to remember them in mine.

Checking with the Redbook, it shows the face value of the 1971 and 1972 mint
sets as $1.83 and the issue price as $3.50. So that seems to indicate there
were no dollars included.

Also, according to the Redbook, there were no CuNI clad proofs made that
year. So it looks like the proof sets didn't have any dollars either.

There were Silver clad uncirculated and proof coins made, but these were
issued independently of the mint sets and proof sets. These were called the
blue packs and the brown packs.

--
Richard
http://www.richlh.com

Old May 21st 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thanks. That's good to know. While I really don't know much about
grading, as I said all of these sets are sealed and are labeled
"uncirculated mint set", so the are in perfect condition with original
shine.

When you say "full step '70 Jefferson", what coin are you referring to
and what does "full step" mean? Sorry to sound like a dope.

Old May 22nd 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Richard L Hall wrote:
Checking with the Redbook, it shows the face value of the 1971 and 1972 mint
sets as $1.83 and the issue price as $3.50. So that seems to indicate there
were no dollars included.

Also, according to the Redbook, there were no CuNI clad proofs made that
year. So it looks like the proof sets didn't have any dollars either.

There were Silver clad uncirculated and proof coins made, but these were
issued independently of the mint sets and proof sets. These were called the
blue packs and the brown packs.

--
Richard
http://www.richlh.com
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as
well dance

I checked ebay for pictures of the 1971 and 1972 mint sets and you're
right, there are no Ikes in either set, but there are "S" mint cents.
I do know that the blue mint and brown proof envelopes were the 40%
Ikes. I've got a blue one (with the Ike, of course).

Jerry