Van Wyck Mason - Seeds of Murder

Old June 17th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Van Wyck Mason - Seeds of Murder

Hello,

I recently bought an old copy of Van Wyck Mason's Seeds of Murder. It
says it was published in 1930 by Crime Club, however, it doesn't state
"first edition". The seller told me it was a first but I am starting to
have doubts. I paid 50.00 for it and want to know if I was duped. I
took it to a used bookstore but they couldn't help and suggested I try
the internet so here I am. Could anyone tell me what edition this is
and how much it may be worth. It doesn't have a jacket and it is in
relatively good condition. It has a black cover with red lettering.

Thanks for your help,

Robert

Old June 18th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

wrote in message
ups.com...

I recently bought an old copy of Van Wyck Mason's Seeds of Murder. It
says it was published in 1930 by Crime Club, however, it doesn't state
"first edition". The seller told me it was a first but I am starting to
have doubts.

The Library of Congress will probably be able to tell
you whether Crime Club was a reprint series (as seems
likely) or how often it published first. Only if it was a
first publication is any book club edition valuable.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old June 18th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

This was all that popped up on ABEBOOKS.COM

1. SEEDS OF MURDER
Mason, Van Wyck
Bookseller: Barbara Berry's Bookshop
(Stow, NY, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 40.00

Book Description: Crime Club, c1930, First edition, dec. black cloth
hardcover, illustrated red end papers, ex-library with usual
distinctions, covers lightly scuffed, still a solid copy, GOOD.
Bookseller Inventory

This was all that popped up on ABEBOOKS.COM

addall.com came up with one other copy, also an ex-library for $39.95

Crime Club, c1930, First edition, dec. black cloth hardcover,
illustrated red end papers, ex-library with usual distinctions, covers
lightly scuffed, still a solid copy, GOOD.

IF your copy is in very good condition, and is a first, then it looks
like what you paid is within the ballpark...possibly a very good buy,
but all I know about this book is what came up on these two sites.

You might google, yahoo, or altavista.com for more general information
about the author and possibly the book...good luck, Sam

Old June 18th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Sam wrote:
[...]

There was a Collins Crime Club. There is apparently a group dedicated
to these publications. They have an extensive website. Apparently these
were not BCE but an agressive promotion of Crime books. There was
aparently a contemporaneous Doubleday Crime Club. They may have shared
promotions. The CCC has an e-mail address. Perhaps they would know
more.

This umbrella group is Clasic Crime Fiction.

Link: http://www.classiccrimefiction.com/ccc.htm

Old June 22nd 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Thanks for all the help.

I don't thinks the book I mentioned is a first; however, I am still
curious to know which printing/year/edition it is.

Thanks again,

Robert

Old June 30th 06, 05:43 PM
daveteds daveteds is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Hello,

Could anyone tell me what edition this is
and how much it may be worth.
This is a probably a later printing of the Doubleday Crime Club 1st edition. The 1st printing is labeled 'First Edition' on the copyright page. I have both the 1st printing and the later printing. Value is a little flexible on this since it is quite rare. I have bought mine and seen other copies for less than $10 but lately they have been getting more. I think one went on eBay a few months ago for $20-25 or so as I remember. Since there is only one copy up for sale on the internet at $40 that is not very good so I guess that you got an ok deal. I think maybe it is time I put my extra copy up for sale!

As for when it was published, my guess is that it was also 1930 or so. The two editions are identical except for the copyright page and I think that the second printing would have been done soon after the 1st to accomodate demand. These books would have been printed by Grosset and Dunlap or under the Sun Dial imprint if they were done much later, I think.

This was the author's first book though he was very successful in the pulp magazines in 1929.