NCS and grade protection

Old December 8th 03, 04:50 AM
Jim and Lynn Lasher

Default NCS and grade protection

I've read on the NCS site that they offer grade protection on submittals, at
their discretion. If this protection were afforded a particular NGC slabbed
submission, I assume that this implies that they guarantee that NGC will
regrade it at current level... My question though that I didn't see in the
NCS FAQ is how does the NGC fee get factored in, and when/how do I pay? I
would hope/imagine/dream... that NCS would not return the coin raw.
Please note that the coin I'm thinking of sending in is a 1916 Barber
quarter NGC MS66.

-jim-

Old December 8th 03, 05:08 AM
Bob Peterson

"Jim and Lynn Lasher" wrote in message
I've read on the NCS site that they offer grade protection on submittals,

at
their discretion. If this protection were afforded a particular NGC

slabbed
submission, I assume that this implies that they guarantee that NGC will
regrade it at current level... My question though that I didn't see in the
NCS FAQ is how does the NGC fee get factored in, and when/how do I pay? I
would hope/imagine/dream... that NCS would not return the coin raw.
Please note that the coin I'm thinking of sending in is a 1916 Barber
quarter NGC MS66.

just what is your purpose in sending such a high grade coin in to be
"conserved"?

Its unlikely anything they can do will make it any better. I'd bet they
would not guarantee anything on such a valuable and scarce coin, they might
even recommend against any such conservation.

-jim-

Old December 8th 03, 10:00 PM
WinWinscenario

I've read on the NCS site that they offer grade protection on submittals, at
their discretion. If this protection were afforded a particular NGC slabbed
submission, I assume that this implies that they guarantee that NGC will
regrade it at current level

You got it exactly right. Either NGC slabs it at the same level, or they
return it untouched.

Your coin seems ideal for this service, because a high-grade coin benefits the
most from "conservation." Collectors who buy Barbers in high mint state very
much value clean, lustrous surfaces, and any improvement in appearance could
easily increase the value by a great deal more than the fee.

They are the same company as NGC.

Regards,
Tom
Old December 9th 03, 05:04 AM
Jim and Lynn Lasher

I'm contemplating submitting it because it has a spot on the obverse which,
for now, only detracts from the eye appeal, but which I'm afraid will turn
into surface damage down the road if not conserved.

-jim-