"The Illustrated Library of the World and Its Peoples" - recent editions?

Old September 18th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Default "The Illustrated Library of the World and Its Peoples" - recent editions?

This comes in 17 red volumes, I think, with LOTS of color photos, and
each volume covers two or three small countries, or, in the case of
China, the reverse. (That is, China takes 373 pages, or more than a
volume and a half.) I'm guessing it's suitable for use by
high-schoolers.

The trouble is, the last edition I know of was printed in the 1960s.
Does anyone know if it were ever updated, and if not, what would be the
best recent substitute? After all, even the Encyclopedia Britannica
does not, IIRC, give so much space to individual countries.

Lenona.

Old September 23rd 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

wrote:

This comes in 17 red volumes, I think, with LOTS of color photos, and
each volume covers two or three small countries, or, in the case of
China, the reverse. (That is, China takes 373 pages, or more than a
volume and a half.) I'm guessing it's suitable for use by
high-schoolers.

The trouble is, the last edition I know of was printed in the 1960s.
Does anyone know if it were ever updated, and if not, what would be the
best recent substitute? After all, even the Encyclopedia Britannica
does not, IIRC, give so much space to individual countries.

It appears that it has not been updated since 1969, or thereabouts. At
any rate, there are no modern editions. For more recent projects
suitable for high school students you might try
http://www.worldbook.com/ (online resource; also available in book form)
and Encarta (CD ROM). The Worldmark Encyclopedia of Cultures and Daily
Life might be worth taking a look at, but I don't know it personally.

For things like this (including Britannica) an online subscription
(which gives access to updates and amendments) might be better than a
set of volumes, which will go out of date pretty quickly.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old September 23rd 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Scot Kamins

In article ,
"John R. Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote:

For things like this (including Britannica) an online subscription
(which gives access to updates and amendments) might be better than a
set of volumes, which will go out of date pretty quickly.

I suspect that totally free online resources such as wikipedia,
digitaluniverse.net, and so on are just as good as subscription
information resources -- and certainly all are better and more current
than printed books.