New $1 Presidential Coins

Old February 6th 05, 03:49 PM
Bob Flaminio

bri wrote:
They will never get rid of paper money for the same reason they got
rid of dollar coins and pushed using paper notes to begin with--who
wants to walk around town with 50 coins?

What a dumb thing to say. How many dollar bills are in your pocket right
now?

--
Bob

Old February 6th 05, 03:54 PM
Vector

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:19:41 GMT, "bri"
wrote:

They will never get rid of paper money for the same reason they got rid of
dollar coins and pushed using paper notes to begin with--who wants to walk
around town with 50 coins? We would all have to go out and buy little coin
purses--like everyone did back when the dollar coin was much more widely
used.

I don't know about you, but I rarely have more than three or four $1
bills on my person. That would be true even if I had your suggested
$50 cash on my person. 3 or 4 dollar coins wouldn't require a purse.

===============

www.peacepond.com
High quality environmental recordings
Old February 6th 05, 03:56 PM
Bob Flaminio

Dave C. wrote:
It sounds like a decent idea. What is disturbing is the accompanying
plans to mint a gold bullion "First Spouse" coin, corresponding to
each presidential $1 coin. This will be a $10 coin.

The Presidential Dollars is a not unbad idea. As long as dollar coins
aren't circulating *anyway*, might as well make commems out of them.
I've suggested the same to be done with half dollars for years now.

The First Lady Eagles, however, is an appallingly stupid idea. The price
tag alone in collecting these is prohibitive. 40+ coins, each with about
a half ounce of gold? Even at bullion value you're looking at nearly
$10,000 to put these together.

Here's the problem: Both coins will be the same size as the Sacagewea
dollar, which is also nearly the same size as the current $25 dollar
Gold Eagle half-ounce bullion coin. With the issuance of the First
Spouse coins, that means that we will have two actively minted gold
bullion coins of the same size, but one will have a face value of
$25, while the other has a face value of $10. Does anyone else find
this bothersome?

This is the least bothersome aspect of the bill. We already have $10
commems -- the recent First Flight, for example -- that were co-minted
with bullion. The face value on gold coins is mostly just for show
anyway.

--
Bob

Old February 6th 05, 04:29 PM
bri

"Bob Flaminio" wrote in message
bri wrote:
They will never get rid of paper money for the same reason they got
rid of dollar coins and pushed using paper notes to begin with--who
wants to walk around town with 50 coins?

What a dumb thing to say. How many dollar bills are in your pocket right
now?

--
Bob

8
I'm not going to walk around with 8 dollar coins. I hate even having 4
quarters in my pocket. I'll just end up giving those away to someone elses
couch.
That's why they swiched over to bills. If I had 50 ones in my pocket those
won't fall out so easy as coins do. There's been plenty of times I've gotten
a wad of ones going. I can't imagine what that would be like trying to count
1,000 dollar coins every night back when I was managing a video store. Or
what it would have been like trying to deposit all of that in the bank every
day.
What a pain that would have been.

Old February 6th 05, 04:48 PM
Bob Flaminio

bri wrote:
They will never get rid of paper money for the same reason they got
rid of dollar coins and pushed using paper notes to begin with--who
wants to walk around town with 50 coins?

What a dumb thing to say. How many dollar bills are in your pocket
right now?

I'm not going to walk around with 8 dollar coins. I hate even having 4
quarters in my pocket. I'll just end up giving those away to someone
elses couch.

Strange customs you got there. I usually just spend my change.

That's why they swiched over to bills.

It's always been coins for low values, bills for high. The issue is that
inflation as made "one dollar" a low value, and therefore more
appropriate for coinage rather than paper.

If I had 50 ones in my pocket
those won't fall out so easy as coins do. There's been plenty of
times I've gotten a wad of ones going.

You really should tip the girls better.

I can't imagine what that
would be like trying to count 1,000 dollar coins every night back
when I was managing a video store. Or what it would have been like
trying to deposit all of that in the bank every day.
What a pain that would have been.

How long ago was that? If dollar bills were replaced with coins, people
would most likely use higher denomination bills to conduct similar
business. The net effect is that you would have *less* stuff to count.

Think it through. Really. Changing bills for coins is not a simple
one-to-one substitution. With it comes an entire different way of
dealing with money. Why bother, you ask? To save the American people
five hundred million dollars per year, for starters.

In any case, it's not like this is a new, untried experiment. It's
worked successfully in Canada, Australia, the UK, and Euro-land. It's
just good ol' American stick-in-the-mudness (and Senator Kennedy) that
keeps it from working here.

--
Bob

Old February 6th 05, 05:21 PM
richard schumacher

They will never get rid of paper money for the same reason they got rid of
dollar coins and pushed using paper notes to begin with--who wants to walk
around town with 50 coins? We would all have to go out and buy little coin
purses--like everyone did back when the dollar coin was much more widely
used.

Hmm? I leave the house carrying 20 or 30 dollar coins in the same front
pocket as my wallet. It's more comfortable than stuffing the wallet
with low-value paper and more convenient for small purchases.

The Mint is just whoring itself producing commemoratives that have the
aesthetic appeal of a Chuck E. Cheese token.
Old February 6th 05, 05:32 PM
Shystev99

It's no rumor....the original poster included a link to the proposed
legislation. You might want to go back and click on it.

I did click on it, I saw it. But my computer froze up as I clicked on
the second link and wouldn't display it. It was getting late, I'm
fighting a cold so I made the stupid mistake of commenting on something
I only was able to partially read.
My fault
Steve

Old February 6th 05, 05:38 PM
oly

The whole idea is stupid; but what are the criteria for being a first
lady anyway? If some President had a wife who died before he became
President, would she qualify (I am not sure that this has actually
happened)? If some President took a wife after his service was
completed, would she qualify (I think that this did in fact happen)?
What if a first lady had a later husband? Perhaps we should put
Aristotle Onassis on a dollar coins!!! And what would really be the
point of once again placing Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, FDR and
that frippin' whoremongering lowlife JFK on our coins once again????

There are now three differently designed twenty dollar bills in
circulation, three different fifties; four different nickels (more to
come); apparently twenty-six different quarters (more to come). At
some point, the United States Treasury will have to set up special
redemption centers and a telephone hotline and a website so that
Americans will be able to recognize their own national coins and
currency!!!

oly

Old February 6th 05, 05:39 PM
Bill Krummel

"bri" wrote in message
k.net...

I can't imagine what that would be like trying to count
1,000 dollar coins every night back when I was managing a video store. Or
what it would have been like trying to deposit all of that in the bank
every
day.

My personal experience tells me that it is faster and more accurate to count
dollar coins in quantity than dollar bills. Much faster. Much easier.
More accurate.

Perhaps video store customers are different than fast food restaurant
customers, but we seldom deposit $1 coins or bills. They get used making
change for the $5s, $10s, $20s, $50s, and $100s that the customer seems to
like to tender. Last night, I deposited several hundreds, two fiftys, about
65-70 twentys, a bunch of tens, three fives, and 3 or 4 $1 bills.

I do admit, though, I don't like the thought of hauling 1,000 dollar coins
to the bank for deposit. Still, I would do it if it meant counting 1,000
coins once rather than unwadding and counting and recounting 1,000 bills.

Coin

Old February 6th 05, 06:42 PM
Dave Allured

bri wrote:

... I can't imagine what that would be like trying to count
1,000 dollar coins every night back when I was managing a video store. Or
what it would have been like trying to deposit all of that in the bank every
day.
What a pain that would have been.

Hmmm. Not being in the business, I am very interested in real
experiences of retail stores. What was it like at your store, counting
1000 dollar bills every night?

What was it like counting 1000 quarters every night?

If by any chance either of these things never happened, please explain
why.

--Dave

Coin Books Dale Hallmark Coins 2 February 15th 04 08:03 PM
Framework for issue of euro commemorative coins Arwel Parry Coins 2 October 26th 03 10:13 AM