"Yes, Mary Kennedy, you try and fix things with the BIG boss!"

Old April 30th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default "Yes, Mary Kennedy, you try and fix things with the BIG boss!"

This is amazing! Although addall.com lists 170 Fredric
Wertham items (including magazine articles and books)
there is not one copy of his famous anti-comic book
screed "Seduction of the Innocent" listed.

My prediction: The next fine or near-fine copy with
d.j. will be listed at upwards of $1000.00. It's
going through the roof...

[from the upstairs office]

Old April 30th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Kris Baker wrote:
"R. Totale" wrote in message
On 30 Apr 2006 12:01:06 -0700, wrote:

This is amazing! Although addall.com lists 170 Fredric
Wertham items (including magazine articles and books)
there is not one copy of his famous anti-comic book
screed "Seduction of the Innocent" listed.

My prediction: The next fine or near-fine copy with
d.j. will be listed at upwards of $1000.00. It's
going through the roof...

[from the upstairs office]

Downstairs, we look directly at abebooks.com, where some 15 first US
editions plus UK firsts and reprints are listed.

The elite office (supervisor of the upstairs domain) sees 58 listings
on addall.com
http://snipurl.com/pv1n

Strange indeed. That whole chunk of addall.com that
you link us to did not show up when doing an addall
search an hour or so ago for Title "Seduction of the
Innocent" and Author "Wertham." At that time I
got 170 Wertham publications but no SOTI.

[Memo from the upstairs office]

Kris

Old April 30th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Francis A. Miniter wrote:
wrote:
R. Totale wrote:

On 30 Apr 2006 12:01:06 -0700,
wrote:

This is amazing! Although addall.com lists 170 Fredric
Wertham items (including magazine articles and books)
there is not one copy of his famous anti-comic book
screed "Seduction of the Innocent" listed.

My prediction: The next fine or near-fine copy with
d.j. will be listed at upwards of $1000.00. It's
going through the roof...

[from the upstairs office]

Downstairs, we look directly at abebooks.com, where some 15 first US
editions plus UK firsts and reprints are listed'

That certainly shakes my confidence in
the party in this group who continues to
maintain that addall.com has all the
Abebooks.com listings. You have
offered proof, so I hope that person
involved is big enough to post an
apology for misinforming others.

Even, since none of the abe listings
were for "Seduction of the Innocent"
in fine or near-fine condition with d.j.,
and all had flaws of one sort or another,
my $1000 prediction stands.

[From the upstairs office]

Strange. I just did an Addall.com search for "Wertham" and "Seduction of the
Innocent" and got 48 items rreturned with 19 of them being ABE listings.

Well, right there you make it clear that something
does not jell here because another poster claims
he found *58* items. I will re-check in a few
minutes, but as to my initial search I absolutely
put in "Wertham" as the author and "Seduction
of the Innocent" as the title and got zero hits.
Then I tried "Frederic Wertham" and got
170 hits, none of them being SOTI. Curiouser
and curiouser...

[Memo from the upstairs office]

Francis A. Miniter

Old April 30th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

wrote:

Francis A. Miniter wrote:

wrote:

R. Totale wrote:

On 30 Apr 2006 12:01:06 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

I compared Kris Baker's returns (58 indeed) to mine of 48. I have found the
difference. His search returned titles in block letters and those with
subtitles. They make the extra 10. I conclude that this happened because I use
a "strict" rule match from the options and Kris probably used a "loose" rule match.

Francis A. Miniter
Old April 30th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message
wrote:

Francis A. Miniter wrote:

wrote:

R. Totale wrote:

On 30 Apr 2006 12:01:06 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

I used the default of "strict", also. Title (no quotes) and author's last
name.

The results of a compilation site like addall.com are dependant
upon the response time from each of the servers it's pulling data
from. If one's too slow, it may sense "0 results" there.

Right now, I get 57 listings (obviously some dupes because some
sellers list the same book on multiple sites):

Abebooks - 15
AbebooksUK - 5
Alibris - 13
Amazon - 1