Gold prices plummet!

Old September 25th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Gold prices plummet!

oly wrote:
On Sep 25, 2:47 am, "mazorj" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

On Sep 24, 5:10 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:

oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 4:57 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 4:00 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
oly wrote:
On Sep 24, 12:47 pm, "The Giant Brain"
wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in
messagenews:raCdnWuJtdO9BybXnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@earth link.com...

"j-rod" wrote in message

September 24, 1869

Gold prices plummet

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...rticle&id=6117

JAM

Hello

The good news is crude oil also dropped.

You can check the spot trade price on Bloomberg at the links
below. It is now showing at $998.70.

http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/com.../cfutures.html

Folks, we have a contender for most clueless response to a
post. Shall we close the nominations now and all acclaim
Arizona Coin Collector the
winner?- Hide quoted text -

Well, it's the stupidest RCC response since the "Giant Brain"
expounded with ultimate authority that that nice 1841 British
Gold Sovereign was worth melt, or about $225 - not the 8,000
pounds that it catalogs at.

So it's the stupidest response in about three weeks.

All this argument is meaningless to me, having just lost my
entire nest egg due to this latest gold crash. This could be my
last post, because I can see someone pounding at my front door,
yelling something about how he's going to repo my computer, and
he's got a U.S. Marshal with him.

James the Homeless- Hide quoted text -

Jay Gould survived the 1869 debacle for many many years - and
died rather old and still rich.

You will too, mon vieux.

They don't repo computers. Used computer is worth three cents on
the dollar to the finance company. They will harass you for the
money to the fullest extent they can get away with - but
remember, they don't want the computer back, ever.

Whew, it was just a couple of my neighbors from down the street
pulling a prank. Now I can get back to my Scrooge McDuck roleplay.

James the Miser- Hide quoted text -

Scrooge McDuck had his money bin full of both gold and greenbacks.
Wouldn't a real dyed-in-the-wool miser have had only gold???

He uses the gold to fill the tub for his bath. The greenbacks are
carried to leave a dollar tip for waiters.

James the Stiff- Hide quoted text -

Scrooge is a Scotsman!!! NO WAY would he be leaving a whole dollar
for the waiters!!!

I would have expected Unca Scrooge to follow the practice of one of
his proto-archetypes. John D. Rockefeller was famous for tipping
everyone for every service with a "nice shiny new dime". Unless it
was an 1894-O Barber or a lesser key date, even after allowing for
inflation (a dime then being worth what, maybe $1.50 - $2.00 in
today's CPI-indexed dollars?), a solitary dime was a pretty chintzy
tip for anyone of substance to have given then, let alone a
multi-millionaire captain of industry.

So allowing for inflation from Rockefeller's time to the 1950-ish
Disney comic that you cited, McDuck's quarter at most was roughly
the same as Rockefeller's dime, if that much. So you're absolutely
right - no way would Unca Scrooge have left that kind of money (a
whole buck!) on the table, even to impress Miss Daisy. The
relationship was doomed from the start. :-)

As a final added observation about changing times and mores: There's
no way that today's PC Police would permit a Disney comic book to
exhibit the "offensive ethnic stereotyping" of people of the
Scottish persuasion as "cheap and miserly". If Scrooge McDuck were
created today, he'd have to be an evil white male CEO capitalist
exploiter with a name something like "Gordon McGekko" or "Birdie
Madoff" in order to please the PC nannies. His money vault would be
on an off-shore island and the plots would alternate between dodging
IRS tax agents, and selling toxic assets to widows and minorities.-

The PC police would not want to see gold and silver portrayed as
money, which Scrooge McDuck certainly knows that they are in reality.
The PTB want people to think that printed paper is "money" and to
forget about gold and silver.

I am also fairly certain that 85%+ of the American people could not
readily identify "Scotland" (or Wales or Ireland) as a distinct place
on a map. I only give England more "visibility" because one hell of a
lot of American women seem to know where Harrods is located. Nor
could most Americans identify Andrew Carnegie (perhaps the prototype
of Scrooge McDuck) or John D. Rockefeller Sr. as historical
individuals.

As much as I hate to agree completely about anything, I fear that you are
correct. They may have studied these things at one time, but memory fades
over time, most often a very short time. Nowhere is this affliction more
visible than in the U.S. House and Senate.

James the Bipartisan

Old September 25th 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Sep 25, 7:01*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
oly wrote:

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

James the Bipartisan- Hide quoted text -

I attribute the "state of things" to the fact that the large majority
Americans are trained to be technicians and not generalists.
Americans tend to be trained in all facets of one small "practical"
speciality (in which they then make their livings) and the liberal
arts are not just ignored - they are deprecated.

All these technicians can be dropped in and out with much
interchangeability - which gives our "system(s)" a certain kind of
strength, I suppose - but we are the iceberg-shaped society described
in "Brave New World" and elsewhere.

oly
Old September 25th 09, 02:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
j-rod

oly wrote:

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

Hughey, Dewey and Louie were lucky to get a quarter apiece from the
old fart on their birthdays!!!

oly

Some 19th century American miser (I believe the fellow might have
been a lawyer too) issued a token (or something exo-numismatic) that
said "Never Trust a Paper Dollar Until Tommorrow".- Hide quoted text
-

In all fairness to Scrooge McDuck, that birthday quarter went a lot
further back then - maybe as many as five candy bars (or perhaps three
candy bars plus some penny candy and Bazooka bubble gum).

No kidding. Just the other day, as I plunked four quarters in a vending
machine for a Three Musketeers, I mentioned to a Sweet Young Thing standing
there that I used to get one for a nickel. Candy bar, I'm talking about.

James the Generous- Hide quoted text -

Sweets for the Sweet.

I can remember five cent first class stamps, but I might be stretching
it a bit to say that I really remember the five cent candy bar. Even
at age seven or eight (c.1967) we were just a bit past that on the
long march of U.S. monetary inflation.

I always admired the inventor fellow in the Scrooge McDuck series -
Gyro Gearloose or some name like that???

Huey, Dewey and Louie were a little bratty, 'tho basically good boys.
They were a little bit like Popeye's "Swee' Pea" - whose the heck kids
were they, anyway???

oly

I can remember my father paying 23¢ for a gallon of gas.

When I started driving is was already up to 30¢.

JAM
Old September 25th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

JAM- Hide quoted text -

One of my fonder personal memories was when gasoline fell back to 60
cents per gallon in 1985-86, after having been about twice as high a
bit earlier.

By that standard, we ought to be pleased today - $2.42 and 9/10ths
ain't too bad compared to the spring and summer of 2008.

oly
Old September 25th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
j-rod

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

oly- Hide quoted text -

And now for something completely different..

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aBG26d6aO25U

oly

It's all just a little bit of history repeating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTUIHK7gHRE

Unregulated capitalism has resulted in economic disaster many time in
the past.

The current mess can be traced to the rush to deregulate in 2000.

If you want to pin the tail on the jackasses that are responsible just
look here...

http://tinyurl.com/ycrbwhs

JAM
Old September 25th 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

I remember when vending machine cigarettes cost 23c as well. You'd put a
quarter in the machine and out would pop a pack of Camels with 2 cents
change under the cellophane. The lucky customers got one, maybe two, 55
doubled dies.

James the Non-Smoker

Old September 25th 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

wrote:

wrote:
"Arizona Coin Collector" wrote in
messagenews:raCdnWuJtdO9BybXnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@earth link.com....

"j-rod" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

James the Non-Smoker- Hide quoted text -

Limited to certain upstate NY vending machines only, if memory
serves...

I wonder if the jobber who serviced those machines ever knew...

oly
Old September 25th 09, 03:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:

"j-rod" wrote in message

[...]

I believe he's currently in the Shady Lawn Home of Rest and Repose.

James the Inmate

Old September 25th 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Sep 24, 10:54*am, j-rod wrote:
September 24, 1869

Gold prices plummet

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...rticle&id=6117

JAM

So far (peak to trough) this is a 2.96% drop. Is the word plummet yet
needed?
Old September 25th 09, 03:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Sep 25, 8:15*am, Peter wrote:
On Sep 24, 10:54*am, j-rod wrote:

September 24, 1869

Gold prices plummet

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...rticle&id=6117

JAM

So far (peak to trough) this is a 2.96% drop. *Is the word plummet yet
needed?

The original post referred to Jay Gould's "Black Friday", which
occurred on September 24, 1869 - ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY YEARS AGO.
That's 140 years ago!!! 1869 1869 1869.

The OP is not referring to a contemporary market fluctuation.

oly