Re-inventory software

Old November 26th 03, 11:47 PM
Postzegelhuis Michel

Default Re-inventory software

Dear collectors,

We use a 10 year old relational database named PARADOX of Borland.
It's magnificent; you can create the type op database you want.
A great advantage is the enorm amount of records each database-file can
include.
At this moment we have 27.000 items and rising.
Very easy to create missing/buying lists. Price-calculations are as fast as
a bullet (because it's an older program so it doesn't need much system
resources).
Exporting is a little bit of work because you must use quattro pro as an
interim-spreadsheat to be able to import in excel. But overall it takes less
than a few seconds to create pdf-files which can be read by your browser
(hip,hip hoera to the internet with them).

Greetings, Webmaster Postzegelhuis "Michel"
www.postalplaza.nl

Old November 27th 03, 03:15 AM
Rodney

Exporting is a little bit of work because you must use quattro pro as an
| interim-spreadsheat to be able to import in excel.

I find that interesting.
In another hobby of mine, we were using Paradox the
year before last (we now use Visual FoxPro) with a database
of 6 million records.
I am sure we could save a report as a *.DBF file and drop straight into Excel.
.........or is my memory fading, hmmm

Old November 27th 03, 03:40 AM
Grandpa

Excel will import text files and if memory serves (I used to do this
stuff before I retired) a DBF is really a large text file as it relates
to importing. I did all sorts of stuff like this with Crystal Reports
and file imports/exports/conversions plus a whole passel of data from
different databases like SQL, DBF, Access, Xponent(pathetic) and a few
other rather seedly DBs.

Excel also exports directly to Access if you want your DB to have the
same fields etc, as I remember.

Its amazing how much one forgets when you get out of the workplace and
start living!

Old November 27th 03, 06:10 AM
Rodney

I wouldn't sway you off your choice of Excel,
but for your expertise level, and the ability to perform
easily under a myriad of platforms, I would have
taken on MSWorks, especially Version 4.5a
which is no longer produced, but available
on the web for about $15.

It has a suite of Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Database
easily configured reports, saves as *.DBF so you can dump down
to Excel or whatever, easily.

As an example of ease of use, you can have a Database up
and running in about 3 minutes, has it's own Newsgroup support
and if memory serves is the most popular suite in the world.
(I think I saw it once advertised as "All meat, and no gravy"
which describes it admirably)

( I am biased however :0)

--

(Remove gum to reply)

Old November 27th 03, 08:57 AM
Postzegelhuis Michel

Exporting as dbf is possible but i think that's only possible if you have
created a database-table with a dbf-format in Paradox and not the db-format.
In that case you loose a lot of interesting features.

Michel.

"Rodney" schreef in bericht

Old November 27th 03, 11:18 AM
Rodney

Thanks Michel,
Yep, that explains it.

It's amazing how important "ease-of -use" becomes.
even with VFPro, and the millions of records,
I still dump down to MSWorks to work in chunks of 30,000 records.

MSWorks is like an old leather slipper,
It's become so familiar, I dont even think about the commands anymore
the fingers reach automatically.

Old November 27th 03, 01:57 PM
Postzegelhuis Michel

Yes indeed, I hate to teach myself over and over again the use of updated or
new programs.
All the valuabel time it consumes. Before you know a program very good a new
one is released and you can begin from scratch. And when a program meets
your demands it's not neccessary to buy a costly new one. I rather put the
time in the joy of cataloging the stamps.

Michel.

"Rodney" schreef in bericht