Richard Ford sig not authentic?

Old October 19th 05, 06:40 AM
Gary Phillips

Default Richard Ford sig not authentic?

I found this on eBay, auction 8344034799. It shows a full page inscription
supposedly by Richard Ford, the Pulitzer prize winner for Independence Day
in 1995.

I have dozens of editions of his books that he's signed for me over the past
few years and none of the sigs I have looks anything like the one depicted
here.

Has anyone here ever seen a sig of Richard's that looks like this one?

Thanks!

Old October 19th 05, 03:10 PM
Jon Meyers

Gary Phillips wrote:
I found this on eBay, auction 8344034799. It shows a full page inscription
supposedly by Richard Ford, the Pulitzer prize winner for Independence Day
in 1995.

I have dozens of editions of his books that he's signed for me over the past
few years and none of the sigs I have looks anything like the one depicted
here.

Has anyone here ever seen a sig of Richard's that looks like this one?

I also have several books signed by Richard Ford, and that sig looks
phony to me, as well. All the sigs I have show: a) a small top loop in
the "R", b) a break between the "i" & "c", and c) no break between the
"r" & "d" in the last name. The signature in the auction has none of
these. Also, Ford's signature overall is small & crabbed, while the one
in the auctioned book is large & flowing.

I think the sig & inscription in the book is an obvious joke that was
never intended to be taken seriously. I mean, look at the incription:
"A woman named Judy told me that today is *your* 'Independence Day'.
Since I won the Pulitzer Prize yesterday for this book, my signature
should be *extra* valuable. Good luck on your new career path. Your
friend seems to think you will do rather well."

Can you imagine Ford writing any of that? "[E]xtra valuable," "career
path," "rather well"? And doesn't it say "(ha, ha)" below the the sig?
Hard to tell. It looks to me like a friend--probably Judy--having a
little fun.

--Jon Meyers
Old October 19th 05, 07:30 PM

Does anyone remember the story of the man who purchased a book on eBay
signed by "Lyndon G. Johnson"?

Old October 19th 05, 08:37 PM
Kris Baker

wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone remember the story of the man who purchased a book on eBay
signed by "Lyndon G. Johnson"?

I do (auntie waving)

Kris

Old October 20th 05, 04:41 AM
Chris Charles

To be fair, it is worth noting that the auction now includes this:

"On Oct-19-05 at 07:38:53 PDT, seller added the following information:
am sorry to imform you that this signature may not be authentic. I have
had two people email me and say that it does not look like his signature. If
you do not want the book just let me know and I will pull it. Sorry for the
inconvenience. I was taken myself. "

Old October 20th 05, 04:53 AM
Jon Meyers

Chris Charles wrote:
To be fair, it is worth noting that the auction now includes this:

"On Oct-19-05 at 07:38:53 PDT, seller added the following information:
am sorry to imform you that this signature may not be authentic. I have
had two people email me and say that it does not look like his signature. If
you do not want the book just let me know and I will pull it. Sorry for the
inconvenience. I was taken myself. "

Yes, the two people telling her the signature wasn't Ford's being me
and, in all likelihood, the OP. She responded to my e-mail promptly and
didn't attempt any smoke-blowing, just admitted her mistake in having
taken the sig on faith--so good for her (no sarcasm implied or intended).

--Jon Meyers