Q's abuot selling U.S. silver

Old May 12th 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Al Dykes

Default Q's abuot selling U.S. silver

I have about 10 pounds of US silver coinage collected from circulation
when that was possible. I'd like to cash it in. With my luck, I don't
expect any of the coins are rare.

Compared to being sold by weight, how much of a collectible value over
face value does a coin have to be worth selling individually?

Thanks

--
Al Dykes

Old May 13th 10, 12:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Al Dykes" wrote in message
I have about 10 pounds of US silver coinage collected from circulation
when that was possible. I'd like to cash it in. With my luck, I don't
expect any of the coins are rare.

Compared to being sold by weight, how much of a collectible value over
face value does a coin have to be worth selling individually?

Thanks

It probably depends on where you intend to sell them, how much effort you're
willing to devote to it, and how innovative you are. When you see buyers
offering to pay the same for common circulated Mercury dimes and WL halves
as they do for Roosevelts and Franklins, your better date silver coins will
probably have to be in exceptional condition to rate more than a standard
buy price from a dealer. And a bulk silver buyer might not want to deal
with individual coins. On the other hand, if you package a group of your
better date coins on eBay, you might make a small profit over dealer buy
prices. Beyond all that, it's pretty much up to you how much your time is
worth to try for a little extra profit.

Old May 13th 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On May 12, 3:56 pm, (Al Dykes) wrote:
I have about 10 pounds of US silver coinage collected from circulation
when that was possible. I'd like to cash it in. With my luck, I don't
expect any of the coins are rare.

Compared to being sold by weight, how much of a collectible value over
face value does a coin have to be worth selling individually?

Thanks

--
Al Dykes

I'd go with Ebay, personally. Break them down into lots of $20, $10
and $5. Look them over to be sure you don't have any of the rare DDO
or DDR, as well as D/S or S/D overstrikes. These should be sold
separately.

Ebayers in my experience are more willing to buy at a slight premum to
what a local coin dealer will pay. It does take more time, but that is
often time well spent.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Selling silver question Bob Coins 14 September 22nd 08 11:42 PM
FA selling several silver eagles. krs4b Coins 8 September 4th 07 01:02 PM
Selling silver Midnorthvault.com Coins 7 February 28th 07 05:44 PM
Selling silver on Ebay Jon Coins 5 June 7th 06 11:47 AM
Selling Silver PCameron Coins 5 May 7th 04 04:35 AM