RUSSIA: Fake 1899 10 rouble coin

Old December 9th 05, 05:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default RUSSIA: Fake 1899 10 rouble coin

This must be fake, but is it a known counterfeit?

http://imagecloset.com/5/12041009-Ru...Faelschung.jpg

(It's actually a gold 10 rouble coin, in spite of what the file name
says).

The mintmaster AR was only active after 1901.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old December 9th 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I have not seen this one before. The lettering on the edge looks bad
and, as you note,
the mintmaster AP (Alexander Redko) did not begin his tenure until the
latter part
of 1901.

Thanks for bringing it to the attention of collectors in this area.

RWJ

Old December 9th 05, 09:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:32:11 -0500, RW Julian
wrote:

I have not seen this one before. The lettering on the edge looks bad
and, as you note, the mintmaster AP (Alexander Redko) did not begin
his tenure until the latter part of 1901.

Thanks for bringing it to the attention of collectors in this area.

RWJ

Thanks for looking, Bob.

I wonder when this was made? Apparently it has seen some circulation,
although not very much. Somewhere (maybe it was on Bob Reis' site?
http://www.anythinganywhere.com) -- I had seen something referring to
a counterfeit 10 rouble coin before, and I believe that it was 1899,
but no details were given. Maybe it was on the list that the ANA puts
out at irregular intervals. But I couldn't find it on his site
anymore.

Are there any good sources which describe known counterfeit Russian
coins in detail? (not just gold, but also silver, copper and
platinum).

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old December 9th 05, 10:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

There is a published 1899 10 rouble counterfeit but it is badly done and
easily seen
to be a fake. The one you have mentioned appears perectly normal for obverse
and reverse. I doubt that it is contemporary and it may be a product of
the Beirut
forgers of the 1960s.

RWJ

Old December 17th 05, 09:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 16:13:29 -0500, RW Julian
wrote:

There is a published 1899 10 rouble counterfeit but it is badly done and
easily seen
to be a fake. The one you have mentioned appears perectly normal for obverse
and reverse. I doubt that it is contemporary and it may be a product of
the Beirut
forgers of the 1960s.

RWJ

Here are some more pictures:

http://imagecloset.com/1/12480117-ob...comparison.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/1/12500117-re...comparison.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/1/12360117-edge_composite.jpg
http://imagecloset.com/1/12220117-di...rse_design.jpg

These are the main discrepancies. Also, the fake coin weighs 8.4
instead of 8.6 grams.

The circled parts of the reverse design comparison in the last image
above mean the following:

a. Missing feather tip on the counterfeit;
b. The thinnest parts of the round letters and digits are slightly
thicker on the counterfeit coin;
c. The distance between the letters and the rim denticles is slightly
less on the counterfeit coin.

There are more discrepancies, most of which are less obvious. Of
course, it is possible that some of the differences noted above are
actual varieties of a genuine 1899 10 rouble coin which might have
been used to create dies for the counterfeit.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old December 19th 05, 01:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

[...]

Oops ... the "missing feather" is NOT missing, as you can see by
comparing the image of the reverse in the first link with that in the
last link. Must have been a trick of the lighting. Otherwise, the
comments stand as is.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old July 5th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob Hairgrove

Default UPDATED IMAGE LINKS: Fake 1899 10 rouble coin

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:44:45 +0100, Bob Hairgrove
wrote:

This must be fake, but is it a known counterfeit?

http://imagecloset.com/5/12041009-Ru...Faelschung.jpg

(It's actually a gold 10 rouble coin, in spite of what the file name
says).

The mintmaster AR was only active after 1901.

Unfortunately, ImageCloset seems to have deleted the images. Here is a
link to the same pictures:

http://www.coinpeople.com/uploads/11...124_116374.jpg

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old February 18th 16, 03:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

hello anybody deals with coins here?
Old March 6th 16, 11:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 9:08:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
hello anybody deals with coins here?

I collect coins, but I'm not able too currently buy any coins due too saving a coin show in Dalton, GA in April.