What the phuck?

Old February 3rd 05, 02:19 PM
Jerry Dennis

Not defending Coin Vault, but they do say that if you're not satisfied, they
have a money back guarantee.

One option Wes' customer may have is to hang onto that unopened "green monster
box" for about five years, then call CV and offer to sell it back to them.
Chambers has said on many occasions that he's always in the market to buy
unopened boxes, especially 1988 and 1996. If it were me, though, I'd send it
back now. Of course, I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Oh, yeah. Saturday's show is about coins, currency, sports collectables,
watches and other assorted stuff.

Jerry

"Wes Chormicle" writes:

He realized he'd been had. Had I not had the sign posted about selling them
for $4300/box, he probably would have thought I was trying to "steal" them
from him. After a few minutes he came to the conclusion that we were the
good guys and Mr. Chambers was the crook.

Bottom line he decided to call and see what the Coin Vault pays for them.

Wes
"fletch" wrote in message
. ..
What did he do, Wes? Or say he was going to do?

--K

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
ink.net...
Speaking of the coin vault....

A guy comes into the shop with a green mint box of 2005 SAE's that he
needs to sell. He is willing to not make any money and let them go for
what he paid for them, $9000 from the Coin Vault. I politely pointed
out the chalkboard where we sell the same box for $4300......

He was not pleased with Mr. Chambers...

---

---

Old February 3rd 05, 10:39 PM
Bob Flaminio

JJ wrote:
The Chambers maids claim to have sold eight complete 86 to 04 runs of
SAE's in MS70 at $33,000 (2 at $35,000).

Last night, they were offering complete 86 to 05 runs of Proof
ultra-cameo SAE's in PF70 for $15,999.95?

I don't get it. Why half the retail?

I thought the proofs were far more desirable.

You thought wrong. In 70 condition, Uncs are far rarer than Proofs, and
command premium prices.

Once you get below 70, however, the prices for Unc Eagles plummets. MS69
gets a little premium; MS68 is bullion.

--
Bob

Old February 4th 05, 12:19 AM
linxlvr

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:19:23 +0000, Jerry Dennis wrote:

Not defending Coin Vault, but they do say that if you're not satisfied, they
have a money back guarantee.

GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not attacking Coin Volt, BUT

Taking advantage of ignorant people (proper term, unlearned on topic, not
stupid) is not defended by giving them outs they are too ignorant to know
they should be using. Might as well start a mail order coin shop and sell
cleaned AU's and call them "Premium Quality Brilliant Uncirculated", give
them a 'no question 30 day return policy' and naming the business...
(Fill in the blank, there are so many of them).

--
DW

Old February 4th 05, 01:26 AM
linxlvr

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:26:21 -0500, Mark wrote:

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:19:03 -0500, linxlvr wrote:

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:19:23 +0000, Jerry Dennis wrote:

Not defending Coin Vault, but they do say that if you're not satisfied, they
have a money back guarantee.

GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not attacking Coin Volt, BUT

Taking advantage of ignorant people (proper term, unlearned on topic, not
stupid) is not defended by giving them outs they are too ignorant to know
they should be using.

That's still better than some mom and pop store front coin dealers will
offer.....

There are lots of people taking advantage whenever they see a window.

Yep. And I'm not bigoted either. I hate them all equally.
--
DW

Old February 4th 05, 03:45 AM
Jorg Lueke

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:19:03 -0500, linxlvr wrote:

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 13:19:23 +0000, Jerry Dennis wrote:

Not defending Coin Vault, but they do say that if you're not satisfied,
they
have a money back guarantee.

GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not attacking Coin Volt, BUT

Taking advantage of ignorant people (proper term, unlearned on topic, not
stupid) is not defended by giving them outs they are too ignorant to know
they should be using. Might as well start a mail order coin shop and sell
cleaned AU's and call them "Premium Quality Brilliant Uncirculated", give
them a 'no question 30 day return policy' and naming the business...
(Fill in the blank, there are so many of them).

It is undefensible and unethical but also quite legal and hence it goes on
and on and on.
Where's my latest issue of NN...
Old February 4th 05, 04:30 PM
Michael Benveniste

"Alan Williams" wrote:

Appreciate your sharing of the numbers, Michael. I swear, I love this
hobby, but I do not understand the industry of numismatics! Or the
mindset and lack of fiscal responsibility that leads someone to blow
$30,000 on a set of modern 'condition rarities', only the slightest
fraction of which are submitted for a third party appraisal. I am
completely at sea when I contemplate that as a 'collecting strategy'.

Even at today's prices, my entire collection isn't worth 30K. Rather
than buying numbers on slabs, I'd rather have an AU 1854-D $3 or some
other genuine rarity. As for SAE's, I have a couple of certified ones
I received as promos, an uncertified date set, and a tube of 2004's that
I give away as attaboy's at work.

But "lack of fiscal responsibility?" Since I don't know if the
hypothetical buyers are of the "greater sucker" school of investing
or are merely using discretionary income to "win" a game, I can't
make that judgment.

If I wanted to do the "fiscally responsible" thing, I'd sell my entire
collection today and invest it in a combination of stocks, bonds,
and perhaps some bullion. But this is a hobby, and there are as many
ways to collect as their are collectors.

--
Michael Benveniste --