Moleskines - Maybe A Little OT

Old December 14th 05, 07:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default Moleskines - Maybe A Little OT

I've introduced my daughters to fountain pens and was thinking of giving them
Moleskines notebooks in their Christmas stockings. However, one of them won't
willingly touch anything made of leather.

Anybody know what the material is that Moleskines have on the covers?

Thanks!
Old December 14th 05, 08:34 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 02:37:33 -0500, Argent
wrote:
I've introduced my daughters to fountain pens and was thinking of giving them
Moleskines notebooks in their Christmas stockings. However, one of them won't
willingly touch anything made of leather.

Anybody know what the material is that Moleskines have on the covers?

Thanks!

This is from their website:
http://www.mojolondon.co.uk/product.php?sku=02242

"Covered in hardwearing black synthetic 'Moleskine'"

Steven
--
.''`.
: :' :
Old December 14th 05, 08:48 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Argent writes:

Anybody know what the material is that Moleskines have on the covers?

AFAIK it is some kind of synthetic leather. If it was real leather,
those notebooks would be much more expensive. I am vegan, myself and I
buy Moleskines all the time.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"She turns me on. She makes me real. I have to apologize for the way I feel."
Old December 14th 05, 09:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

The lower priced series of their notebooks are obviously black
cardboard.

Old December 14th 05, 01:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Argent wrote:
I've introduced my daughters to fountain pens and was thinking of giving them
Moleskines notebooks in their Christmas stockings. However, one of them won't
willingly touch anything made of leather.

Anybody know what the material is that Moleskines have on the covers?

Thanks!

Just tell her it's made from the best part of Moles, the faces. ;-)

Seriously, I would be willing to bet it's completely man-made.

Chris
http://amateureconblog.blogspot.com/

Old December 14th 05, 08:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Looks and feels like some kind of plasticized paper product. No moles
were harmed in the making of these notebooks.

Old December 14th 05, 09:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

The material is oilcloth; something used in the olden (pre-plastic)
days.

Old December 15th 05, 03:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

wrote in message
ups.com...
The material is oilcloth; something used in the olden (pre-plastic)
days.

I believe they are indeed made of oilcloth; not leather. According to the
American Heritage Dictionary, oilcloth is a fabric treated with clay, oil,
and pigments to make it waterproof. Many years ago it was a common practice
to make table cloths out of this material; usually brightly colored, floral
patterned, and inexpensive. It found its way to many depression and WWII
era table tops. I don't see them anymore, but have fond memories of many a
meal eaten on oilcloth covered tables. I believe my moleskine covers are of
this very same material, although they have given them a texture similar to
leather.

Terry

--
The address is bogus so remove the excess.

Old December 15th 05, 04:54 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Thanks! I visited the www.kikkerland.com (listed on the notebooks) and
http://www.moleskine.it/eng/default.htm but missed the UK site.