400 tapes-(7) 8track decks-alignment tapes-new motors-replacement pads-Ebay

Old August 20th 05, 03:15 AM
yodedude2

I think it fair to say that the alignment tape is a copy and that the
winning bidder will not receive the item pictured in the auction.
later, ron

p.s. Why waste a hammer on you? You're already broken. You sure have
some warped kindergarten idea about what constitutes manliness.

You are fraudulent, irredeemable, but above all--boring.

66fourdoor wrote:
Ron- I'm not going to pull or change any auction that is working, based
on someone's opinion whom I've never met and isn't man enough to
actually contact me by phone. Usenet/Google Groups has no hammer in
the real world. Posts and 10 cents couldn't buy a coffee. The tapes
sell, the customers ask their questions via ebay contact link before
buying- and they are leaving good feedback. If it ain't broke, I'm not
fixing it.

Old August 20th 05, 03:16 AM
yodedude2

66fourdoor wrote:

Perhaps your standards are too strict or unrealistic for the real world
?

No, just for you.

Old August 20th 05, 03:18 AM
66fourdoor

you can't argue with success

Old August 20th 05, 03:26 AM
yodedude2

Sure I can. Rap/Hip Hop is incredibly successful right now. I tend to
avoid it. Good advice.

66fourdoor wrote:
you can't argue with success

Old August 20th 05, 10:33 AM
66fourdoor

alignment tapes ain't hip hop- there's a difference

Old August 20th 05, 03:50 PM
DeserTBoB

On 18 Aug 2005 20:43:28 -0700, "yodedude2" wrote:

Noodles scribbled:

You are correct- the one in the picture is the first run that had a
black and white label- the current lot of tapes has a red/white/blue
label, but is otherwise identical- same print layout on the label, and
same instruction sheet. snip

....same fraud.

Thank you for the confirmation--your honesty on that point is
refreshing and a positive step forward in the right direction. A quick
addition/revision to your eBay description is in order. You could put
something like, "The picture in this listing shows a previously sold
dubbed copy. The winner will receive a dubbed copy of like kind and
quality." Honesty is easy. snip

Not for him, it isn't.

I only take a picture of one tape, and use that same picture to relist
it each time- being all the tapes are identical. No need for a new
picture each time. snip

....as he cranks out a line of frauds a mile long.

I notice you say that your dubbed copies are 'otherwise identical'--are
you using the same type blank cart for each of your copies? What brand
is it? Do they all have your homemade pads? Are they all being
dubbed using the same two decks? What two decks do you use? I've
gotten some very good dubs, for personal use of course, from my Akais. snip

Doesn't matter, they're all fakes and all useless for what they
purport to be. Let's look at this technically...ONE more time.

I don't care what "blank" it's on, what "shell" it's in, whatever...a
dubbed alignment tape is useless for the purpose an alignment tape is
intended. Firstly, one has to understand (like Noodles doesn't) the
nature of magnetic audio recorders. For consumer grade stuff
especially, tolerances for "gap scatter," track placement and gap
perpendicularity and notoriously lax. On production grade pro stuff,
things are a lot better head-wise, but variances are still evident.
Secondly, a full alignment tape carries test tones, both of absolute
fluxivity and relative deviations from that during a frequency
response run, usually at a point -10 dB from reference on slow speed
stuff, but at full fluxivity at 15 IPS and higher. The tones on a
real alignment tape are guaranteed, depending on the manufacturer, to
be within so many percent (or dB) of actual fluxivity, as are the freq
run tones.

All of these tones provide the technician with an absolute reference
from which he can properly set playback gain to proper level and,
after doing so, can set record gain for the same machine, as well.
The frequency response run allows the technician to find errors in the
playback equalization circuit of the player, and by logging the amount
of error on playback and recording locally generated tones, he can
also troubleshoot the record amp's equalization circuit, as well. The
azimuth adjustment tone allows the playback head, and thus later the
record head (on three head machines) to be set to the proper
perpendicularity, thus ensuring that, as much as possible, all
recordings made on any machine will give reliable frequency response
on the machine being aligned.

These frauds fall short in all these categories, save one. First,
Noodles has no clue as to what "reference fluxivity" is, much less its
importance. The reference fluxivity for the 8 track format was 185
nanoWebers per meter (nWb/m). If the record amp is set too high,
recordings made with proper VU meter deflection will distort and
saturate the tape; too low, and they'll be riddled with tape hiss.
There IS a way to do a "secondary reference" on a dubbed tape, but it
requires a lot of cross checking to make sure that the tone on the dub
is at the same fluxivity as the original, and that takes some work and
knowledge, neither of which this fraudster possesses. The fraud tape
he tried to dump on me had a reference fluxivity that was a whopping 3
dB too hot, a lot when working on analog tape machines, which would
certainly lead to a misaligned deck that'd yield distorted recordings.

Further, the frequency response tones were useless. The "master" he
uses for his fraud tapes is the GC Electronics/"Audiotex" tape, itself
not a very good one. GC specified that the freq run tones (and the
fluxivity reference, as well) were a lousy ±4 dB from nominal, too
wide a tolerance for good recorder setup and testing. Then, he shoves
one of these things (of dubious quality) into one of his cheesy home
decks, a typical consumer grade piece of crap, no doubt. Considering
that the average deviation from nominal of these machines using a REAL
tape can be ±5 dB at -10dB over a range of, say 100 Hz-10 KHz, now
you've introduced even more error into what's being recorded on the
fraud. Let's tally up so far: Tape is only spec'd at ±4 dB, machine
could be as much as ±5 dB, for a total maximal deviation from nominal
SO FAR of ±9 dB of error. That's completely unacceptable, even for a
****ty car player.

Before going on, let's look at what a real alignment tape does, and
the errors found on "high end" home 8 track machines. I had MRL make
a custom cartridge loop for me, set for 185 nWb/m at 3¾ IPS full
track, which provides me with accurate fluxivity and perpendicularity
to within ±.05 dB and .5°, respectively. Once I got my best deck, a
Wollensak 8075, completely serviced mechanically, I used this tape to
check for equalization deviations once the head geometry was set
properly. The result on playback was that this machine exhibited the
"humps" in bass response typical of consumer grade, low speed tape
machines, and had the typical drop-off of high frequencies also
characteristic to this format. With 1 KHz at 185 nWb/m as the
reference, this machine was -5/+4 from 32 Hz to 15 KHz at 10 dB down,
sort of typical for the average home machine at this speed. There was
the usual big "bump" around 80 Hz with another, smaller one at 160 Hz,
the midrange around the lower turnover frequency had a hump around 440
Hz and the top end tapered off somewhat steeply above 10 KHz., hitting
the -5 dB point at around 14 KHz. Again, this is NOT bad performance
for a "home" deck, but it did show that there were errors in the
playback equalization circuit, since I knew the head to be in near
pristine shape.

Some changing of capacitive and resistive elements of that network did
eliminate the 440 Hz "hump", but couldn't do anything about the "head
bumps" in the bottom end, which are simply a function of tape moving
too slow across a given sized pole piece size to yield flat response.
However, there were some capacitance errors in the high-side part of
the circuit which, when repaired, yielded much better/flatter response
about to 15 KHz. Thus, one true function of a real "alignment tape"
made itself available, and I was able to repair problem caused by lax
component tolerances and aging capacitors.

Now consider this: The SAME errors that will show up in a playback
equalization circuit can almost be counted upon to show up in a
complimentary record equalization circuit, and, in this case, they
did. While I got rid of the same mid-range hump caused by a
wrong-value capacitor at the lower turnover frequency, I was unable to
get rid of one of the biggest drawbacks to a "single head" machine,
that being that "one size" does not "fit all." On such machines, the
head gap is, at best, a compromise. Too wide for best top end on
playback, and too narrow on record, yielding the opposite. What most
manufacturers did was "split the difference" between optimal values
for either, giving a machine that will be too "dull" on playback in
the mid-treble and a little too "bright" on record, hoping that one
will compliment the other, and they usually do. On this particular
machine, I was able to get very flat high frequency response on
reference playback, which yielded tapes with a little too much
mid-treble on record, making them sound a bit "bright" on the
record/playback on the same machine. Not to worry...a simple RC notch
filter (unneatly hanging from the PC board as it is) took out the hump
centered around 8 KHz, but at the expense of a little of the extreme
top end. When I got done with this machine, I had a record/playback
cycle frequency response of -2/+3 from 32 to 12 KHz using Scotch
"Dynarange" tape. Top end went up through 15 KHz using Scotch
"Classic" with increased bias current, another story I covered in here
months ago. For 3¾ IPS and considering the head technology of the
times, this is excellent performance.

Now, back to the fraud discussion. Since we know that there is now a
potential error range of ±9 dB in Mr. Noodles' fraud tape duplication
setup, we now calculate the errors introduced by four more
factors...that of the equalization circuit in his record amp, the lack
of any idea of optimal biasing, deviation for absolute gap
perpendicularity and "gap scatter."

As said earlier, on most machines like this that use a common head for
both functions, a bad playback equalization circuit will usually have
an equally bad record circuit. Figuring that Noodles' record deck has
about the same ±5 dB errors as the playback side probably has, now
we're look at a whopping 14 dB of error limits...14 dB! For reference
to the technically clueless, a Bel (10 deciBels) signifies that a tone
of given frequency sounds twice as loud (or soft) as the one it is
being compared to. This isn't "double power" (3.01 dB,) this is what
the human ear perceives. 14 dB limits for checking frequency response
of a tape machines is COMPLETELY USELESS...period.

Proper bias current is necessary to achieve two things: lowest
possible distortion and best possible frequency response, and the
amount needed varies considerably from tape to tape. Noodles doesn't
know what this is, as exemplified by his discussing "playback bias"
about 6 months ago. Of course, there is no such thing as "playback
bias." 'Nuff said.

Now, head geometry enters into this, too. Noodles' frauds use the 7
KHz alignment tone of the Audiotex, a good "compromise" azimuth
setting tone. However, there is NO specification for perpendicularity
on the Audiotex tape, and my cross check a machine I had aligned with
Noodles' fraud copy (a Wollensak 5056) showed that his head on his
copying machine was off a lot...about 7°...from what the MRL tape
showed to be correct. Reference alignment tapes are physically
checked for perpendicularity using the same method most engineers use
to check machine track height on multi-track machines...pulverized
iron granules. The high frequency tone is impressed upon the tape's
oxide, and then is looked at through a microscope using a grid array
to judge how close the impressed signal is to being absolutely
perpendicular to the length of the tape. MRL guarantees .5°; the
NudoFraud® tape was a whopping 7° off! On my machines, a misalignment
of 7° completely wipes out anything played from a calibrated tape
above about 7 KHz, and attenuates everything from about 5 to 7
KHz...again, USELESS.

The issue of "gap scatter" is comparatively minor compared to the
preceding, but yet of importance to achieving proper stereophonic
staging, especially in the high frequency area. Noodles' head on this
machine was a good one; I couldn't really see where the two head gaps,
at maximal deflection, were phased any differently from each other at
7 KHz. It sure as hell would 've helped if he would 've set the
azimuth on the head properly...he might have something there!

Noodles has said over and over again in this NG that "professional
guys make their own alignment tapes all the time." False. A real
alignment tape is a laboratory grade piece of test gear, not some
cheap dub made on a crappy home machine. Recording engineers did in
fact make "check tapes," and put "tone pads" on the tails of every
tape they'd record, to facilitate quick checking of azimuth and
extreme high and low frequency equalization. This is the province of
the professional studio; home recordists, unless they've got some
smarts in the area, wouldn't know what to do with these as a rule, but
here's an example of what they could (and should) do. Let's say you
get a real alignment tape for any machine (cassette, cartridge, RTR)
and you spend hours completely lining it up geometrically and
electronically. All works as well as it can, as good as analog can
allow, anyway. First thing you can do is run off a tape (cassette,
cartridge) of four tones: One of reference fluxivity (since you now
have, hopefully, a calibrated machine that'll yield a fairly accurate
fluxivity reference, ) and three -10dB freq tones. I use 100 Hz, 1
KHz again at -10 dB, and 10 KHz. This is the studio standard for
decades. What this tape will do is allow the operator to do a quick
check ON THAT ONE MACHINE of performance, and will alert him to
azimuth equalization, or other problems. When something on the check
tape or on the tone pad doesn't read right on the meter, it's time to
dig into the machine and get out the real alignment tape.

Your 'example' is interesting, but as discussed before, fails on a
couple of points; one of those being that you are using an example of
original products from the original manufacturer (and not from a
retailer--see the second point). Your copies are not originals from
the original manufacturer, so your 'example' analogy fails on that
point. Your example might work if you labeled your dubbed copies
"Charlie's homemade copied alignment tapes" or something like that. snip

That would be legal and moral for a reputable seller to do. Noodles
makes one salient point...that "real" alignment tapes for this format
are not found, and getting a new one from a lab is VERY expensive. I
blew upwards of $150 getting MRL to make mine for me, and that was a
broadcast cart I had to remove the pancake from and transfer it to an
8 track compatible shell. Of course, good carts are a dime a hundred,
so not to worry there. However, if he is going to make "check tapes"
(which is what they are, and only really reliable on HIS machine), he
should mark them as "NudoFraud Industries® Dubbed 8 Track Deck Tester"
or some such thing, NOT try to pawn them off as real Audiotex tapes,
even as bad as they were. The only one worse I found were the Aspen
"Deck Testers"...and they WERE bad...almost as useless as Noodles',
but not quite.

Noodles wins in only one area...track height. Real alignment tapes,
due to limitations placed by laboratory equipment and such, are
necessarily full track. Many consumer manufacturers did make
"secondary alignment tapes" in multi-track formats, but they do not
purport to be of the magnetic accuracy of any full track tape...but
they DO provide a quick and easy way to set track height. Most
recording engineers used to use pulverized iron particles, just like
the labs, to discern the track layout on a multi-track machine. The
procedure is easy...record a section of tape at saturation (not 0 VU)
at around 400-500 Hz, remove the tape to a well lit work area, and
then coat the recorded section with the iron particles. Once the iron
adheres to the recorded tracks, it's easy, using a plastic gauge or a
caliper, to figure out how good (or bad) the height alignment of the
record head is. On 8 track, this is critical, and often is the most
out of adjustment alignment point. To Noodles' credit, his "fraud"
tape was dead on for track hieght...the ONLY parameter in which it was
"dead on" Everything else ranged from barely useful to absolutely
useless. Oh yes, about quality: My NudoFraud® fake alignment tape
arrived from Drums, PA recorded on a beat to **** Rat Shack cartridge.
This thing was so worn out, the oxide was burnished on the tape, due
to continual use on a machine with worn out or filthy dirty heads.
Didn't matter to Noodles...bulk erase it and CRAM IT IN THERE! The
splice was also nearly gone, too, but I sent it back that way, hoping
his next fraud victim would also clamor for a refund. Also, it was
equipped with his notoriously bad "aquarium filter" pressure pads, a
joke in their own right.

Furthermore, your analogy fails on another point--most car ads (from a
manufacturer) are for a model, not a particular unit. If, however, a
retailer offers a particular unit, they are required by law to post a
stock number or some other means of identifying a particular unit for
sale. For example, an ad in the paper or on tv for a particular car
will show some sort of particular identification, i.e. "stock # 4765A"
or something similar. A retailer could also put "17 available at this
price" if multiple individual units are available. I'm pretty sure
this can be done in Dutch auctions on eBay as well. snip

Real alignment tapes, from any of the old labs (only one left anymore,
MRL) have a serial number. If there is a deviation or defect in the
tape, the lab can trace back when the tape was made, what equipment
made it, the technician who mastered it, and so on. Audiotexes are
cheap dubs; they had no such serial numbers. Even the better
Nortronics alignment cartridges don't have them, but their alignment
cassettes did.

Bottom line--you think it's okay to be dishonest and misleading, i.e.
your alignment tape auction, posting USPS fraud instructions, selling
copies to the public as originals, etc. I don't. We just disagree. snip

I beat up Charlie Nudo for months over these very same cogent points,
to no avail. He has not the moral fiber, nor the intelligence, to
understand the frauds he's perpetrating, and he will NOT change. He
also knows he's perpetrating a fraud; else he'd put his own label on
them, and he knows that doing so would scare off most prospective
pigeons. So, after months of alerting the public to his scams and
frauds, I feel I've extracted enough "street justice" on the
ne'er-do-well to now be done with him. All I can add is this: Anyone
who buys ANYTHING from Charlie Nudo.....CAVEAT EMPTOR...eBay feedback
doesn't mean crap for a seller. Now, if anyone else wants to start
chasing him around eBay and Usenet warning people off of his frauds,
be my guest. I turned it into a fine art.

dB
Old August 20th 05, 05:48 PM
yodedude2

snip
Bottom line--you think it's okay to be dishonest and misleading, i.e.
your alignment tape auction, posting USPS fraud instructions, selling
copies to the public as originals, etc. I don't. We just disagree. snip

I beat up Charlie Nudo for months over these very same cogent points,
to no avail. He has not the moral fiber, nor the intelligence, to
understand the frauds he's perpetrating, and he will NOT change.

You are correct, sir. I would add that he doesn't care about his moral
fiber or decency. In his world, it's okay to lie and cheat; it makes
you more manly. later, ron

He
also knows he's perpetrating a fraud; else he'd put his own label on
them, and he knows that doing so would scare off most prospective
pigeons. So, after months of alerting the public to his scams and
frauds, I feel I've extracted enough "street justice" on the
ne'er-do-well to now be done with him. All I can add is this: Anyone
who buys ANYTHING from Charlie Nudo.....CAVEAT EMPTOR...eBay feedback
doesn't mean crap for a seller. Now, if anyone else wants to start
chasing him around eBay and Usenet warning people off of his frauds,
be my guest. I turned it into a fine art.

dB snip

Old August 20th 05, 06:17 PM
66FOURDOOR

I disagree, Ron- I do care, which is why all the alignment tapes come
with a full money back guarantee.

If the customer is not 100% satisfied, they can return the alignment
cart.

Considering the carts work quite well and have gotten stellar feedback,
I believe your accusations are quite a stretch at this point.
Actually, now YOU are the one doing the lying.

Old August 21st 05, 12:10 AM
yodedude2

I think it fair to say that the alignment tape is a HOMEMADE DUBBED
copy and that the winning bidder will NOT receive the item pictured in
the auction.
later, ron

btw, I'm not lying until you're man enough and honest enough to correct
the listing.

Old August 21st 05, 12:29 PM
66FOURDOOR

Ron,

You have not purchased an alignment tape yourself- so how would you
know ? You are basing your conclusion on hearsay.

Worry about your own listings- if you have any.