A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Paper Money
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Can anyone tell me about these German WW1 (military?) issues?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 12th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Jeffrey Parsons
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Can anyone tell me about these German WW1 (military?) issues?


Does anyone know anything about these German notes:

http://tinyurl.com/t8xdu

pparently, they are not in the Standard Catalog of World Paper money.
They were found among some old German military ephemera. I'm trying to
get an idea what they are worth. I have three types: 1 mark, 2 mark
and 5 mark. Each bears the date 1916. Someone suggested they are
military issues or POW issues. Any information, clues or guesses would
be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeffrey P
Ads
  #2  
Old November 14th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 59
Default Can anyone tell me about these German WW1 (military?) issues?

It is highly likely to be regional currency (notgeld). (Check the
specialised krause notgeld catalogue).

The notes are of low denominations (In 1916 Germany was going through a
period of hyper inflation - people literally used wheelbarrows to carry
their money around. Symilar to what is happening in Zimbabwe at the
moment).

Notgeld was given out through times of emergency. Usually Notgeld is in
low denominations. Notgeld was mostly valid as a means of payment only
for a limited period and in a specific region. It was issued on behalf
of the
Central bank (legally) or outside of legislation by private banks,
firms, local authorities (towns, counties etc.), clubs or other
institutions. Symilar to the Canadian shinplasters.


Jeffrey Parsons wrote:
Does anyone know anything about these German notes:

http://tinyurl.com/t8xdu

pparently, they are not in the Standard Catalog of World Paper money.
They were found among some old German military ephemera. I'm trying to
get an idea what they are worth. I have three types: 1 mark, 2 mark
and 5 mark. Each bears the date 1916. Someone suggested they are
military issues or POW issues. Any information, clues or guesses would
be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jeffrey P


  #3  
Old November 14th 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Jeffrey Parsons
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Can anyone tell me about these German WW1 (military?) issues?

On 13 Nov 2006 18:44:51 -0800, "noteworthy"
wrote:

The notes are of low denominations (In 1916 Germany was going through a
period of hyper inflation


Thank you for the reply. I thought the German inflation period
started immediately *after* WW1. Wasn't it in 1921 and/or 1922 when
the multi-million mark notes started appearing?

Jason K

  #4  
Old November 14th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Christian Feldhaus
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 487
Default Can anyone tell me about these German WW1 (military?) issues?

Jeffrey Parsons wrote:

I thought the German inflation period
started immediately *after* WW1.


Right, although it began relatively slowly. The hyperinflation was
mostly in 1921-23. In and right after WW1 there was a cash shortage
though.

Wasn't it in 1921 and/or 1922 when
the multi-million mark notes started appearing?


Yep. That period lasted until November 1923.

Don't know anything about those "notes", but the text on them is from a
famous play - Friedrich Schiller's "Wilhelm Tell".

Wer frisch umherspäht / mit gesunden Sinnen, / Auf Gott vertraut / und
die gelenke Kraft, / Der ringt sich leicht aus / jeder Fahr und Not ...

Christian
  #5  
Old November 15th 06, 09:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
noteworthy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 59
Default Can anyone tell me about these German WW1 (military?) issues?


Jeffrey Parsons wrote:
On 13 Nov 2006 18:44:51 -0800, "noteworthy"
wrote:

The notes are of low denominations (In 1916 Germany was going through a
period of hyper inflation


Thank you for the reply. I thought the German inflation period
started immediately *after* WW1. Wasn't it in 1921 and/or 1922 when
the multi-million mark notes started appearing?

Jason K


During the Great War the devaluation of the Mark had started already
and there was a shortage of money. You are right - The serious
hyperinflation didn't start until after the war (due to the reparations
Germany had to pay to France and other countries.) Notgeld was already
appearing during WW1.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rex Curry makes NEWS re symbolism on Soviet stamps & money !! Tinny Ray General Discussion 2 September 27th 06 10:16 PM
Here it is. The smoking gun. Ken In Texas Juke Boxes 2 May 15th 05 05:38 PM
FS:Magazine Subscriptions(Must Turn in by 09/10) Steve General 0 August 27th 04 10:27 PM
FA: 2-Days, WWII Handbook on German Military, TM-30-451, c. 43 fishnet531 General 0 January 31st 04 05:15 AM
FA: WWII Handbook on German Military, TM-30-451, c. 43 fishnet531 General 0 January 25th 04 09:46 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 CollectingBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.