A Nice "Wheatie" Find

Old July 21st 04, 03:37 PM
Larry Louks

Default A Nice "Wheatie" Find

Hi Friends,

Like many of you, we have a "change jug" that we drop all sorts of loose
change into, which we then cash in when Christmas rolls around. This morning
my wife had put about a dozen coins on the coffee table, about to put them
in the jar. I scooped them up to look at them. I was pleasantly surprised to
spot a Wheatie. Upon close examination of this 1958-D example, I'd grade it
AU. It still has a good deal of luster on it. I suspect that someone
pilfered a collection somewhere and thus liberated this specimen back into
the collecting pool. And now it's mine!

Larry
'a wheatie is a terrible thing to waste!'

Old July 21st 04, 03:45 PM
Alan Williams

Larry Louks wrote:

Hi Friends,

Like many of you, we have a "change jug" that we drop all sorts of loose
change into, which we then cash in when Christmas rolls around. This morning
my wife had put about a dozen coins on the coffee table, about to put them
in the jar. I scooped them up to look at them. I was pleasantly surprised to
spot a Wheatie. Upon close examination of this 1958-D example, I'd grade it
AU. It still has a good deal of luster on it. I suspect that someone
pilfered a collection somewhere and thus liberated this specimen back into
the collecting pool. And now it's mine!

Larry
'a wheatie is a terrible thing to waste!'

You well know that I share your love of the design/type. ;-)

It's always pleasing to find a relatively high grade wheat from
circulation. But for this date and mm it's not neccessary to postulate
a pilferage. Lots of wheats got hoarded/jarred/coffee canned when the
Memorial reverse was introduced in 1959. I'd guess that someone got
tired of waiting for a 1958-D to command a premium, or that Dad's coffee
can just got redeemed upon his demise.

A shame, because in another 150 years, that coin might well have
escalated in value. ;-) I think it should be cherished and preserved
for posterity.

Now if you come up with a 1916-S in AU, I will endorse the pilfered
collection theory. I'll also offer you $32. ;-)

Alan
'orphaned coins adopted here'
Old July 21st 04, 03:57 PM
Numismatist

Seems like you owe a big "thank you" to the Coinstar people!
Old July 21st 04, 05:03 PM
Larry Louks

"Alan Williams" opines:
...for this date and mm it's not neccessary to postulate
a pilferage. Lots of wheats got hoarded/jarred/coffee canned
when the Memorial reverse was introduced in 1959. I'd guess
that someone got tired of waiting for a 1958-D to command a
premium, or that Dad's coffee can just got redeemed upon his demise.

A cogent observation on your part, Alan. I happily defer to your knowledge
of the subject.

Larry
'abhorring any possible criminal activity in same'

Old July 21st 04, 06:01 PM
Bill Krummel

"Larry Louks" wrote in message
Hi Friends,

Like many of you, we have a "change jug" that we drop all sorts of loose
change into, which we then cash in when Christmas rolls around. This

morning
my wife had put about a dozen coins on the coffee table, about to put them
in the jar. I scooped them up to look at them. I was pleasantly surprised

spot a Wheatie. Upon close examination of this 1958-D example, I'd grade

it
AU. It still has a good deal of luster on it. I suspect that someone
pilfered a collection somewhere and thus liberated this specimen back into
the collecting pool. And now it's mine!

Larry
'a wheatie is a terrible thing to waste!'

Coincidence. I found a 1958-D wheatie in the register last night that
looked unc, full red. I didn't examine the coin, but I assume it would
grade AU58 because of likely luster breaks on some high points. I sold it
to an employee for a cent and suggested he let me put it in a 2X2. He put
the coin in his pocket. Sigh. Bill

Old July 21st 04, 08:27 PM
James Higby

Good find! Last year I got a 1953-D Lincoln in change. It is probably an
XF-AU coin. But then, the stark realization: That coin was five years
older when I found it than a 1909-S V.D.B. was when I started collecting.
Egad!

Old July 21st 04, 09:39 PM
Numismatist

I sold it
to an employee for a cent and suggested he let me put it in a 2X2. He put
the coin in his pocket.

Well, maybe you created a collector Bill. And as for your profit margin,
perhaps you can make it up on volume! 8-)