Question for a Chemist?

Old November 3rd 03, 02:19 AM
BAJJERFAN

(Edward McGrath) wrote in message ...
: ()

Upon further review I didn't flame by using caps; I emphasized. Also
it appears that you tried to answer a question that wasn't asked. He
also plainly states that it was an ide of sulfur not an ite. A chemist
whould know that that can't be right as there is no "ide" of sulfur
that is readily available to the public on an OTC basis. If there is
please elaborate.
He (Mr. Hallmark) states that his fingers felt warmth when he put them
into acetone to which a sulfur compound had been added. If this
observation is indeed true then it is so because the acetone became
warmer. This can be easily demonstrated by putting some acetone into a
cup, recording the temperature, adding some of the mystery sulfur
compound and rerecording the temperature.
Old November 3rd 03, 02:30 AM
BAJJERFAN

Dontcha just love a good ****ing contest.
Old November 3rd 03, 03:49 AM
Dale Hallmark

"BAJJERFAN" wrote in message
om...
(Edward McGrath) wrote in message

: ()

Dontcha just love a good ****ing contest.

Actually they bother me somewhat especially when I
seem to be the author or maybe the fulcrum?

Dale

Old November 4th 03, 03:01 AM
Dale Hallmark

"BAJJERFAN" wrote in message
om...
"Dale Hallmark" dalehall.Not this wrote in message

"BAJJERFAN" wrote in message
om...
(Edward McGrath) wrote in message
: ()

Dontcha just love a good ****ing contest.

Actually they bother me somewhat especially when I
seem to be the author or maybe the fulcrum?

Dale

I decided to do a little experiment in the lab today! I filled up a
beaker with acetone which had been kept in the lab at room temperature
over the weekend. I immersed my finger in the acetone on several
different occasions throughout the morning and for varying degrees of
time. At no time did I feel excessive hot or cold on my finger while
it was in the acetone. It did feel noticeably colder as soon as it was
removed from the acetone. Therefore I must conclude that the first
part of Mr. Hallmark's statement is not correct.

"When you stick your finger in acetone it always feels cold because
it tries
to strip the organics from your finger
and so it did. But when I swirled the mixture (not a solution)
it felt warm?"

Objects whether they be animate or inanimate do not automatically
become colder just because they are in acetone. Also any statement
like the above which contains the word always is rarely true

Ok enough is enough. Yes I was wrong! Everything I wrote was incorrect.
I don't know anything about chemistry. I don't even know what I perceive
as well as some of you know what I perceive.

It doesn't matter!! This is not important.
I wish this was the worst thing in life I had ever been wrong about.

Why is such minutia so important to the lives some people live?
This thread has by far outlived any dubious value it may have once had
but I think it had none.

Dale

Old November 4th 03, 03:26 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Dale Hallmark wrote:

"BAJJERFAN" wrote in message
om...
"Dale Hallmark" dalehall.Not this wrote in message

"BAJJERFAN" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Do you mean you would like it to evaporate? Try dipping it in a little
Acetone, that always makes it feel cooler to me....

Alan
'said it with a straight face'
Old November 4th 03, 04:47 AM
Bill Krummel

"BAJJERFAN" wrote in message
om...
"Dale Hallmark" dalehall.Not this
wrote in message
"BAJJERFAN" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Ok, right. So you are an animal rights guy, huh? Dale, it's like this.
When the horse is dead, it doesn't feel any pain from the continued beating.
Don't worry about the horse, once it's dead, ok? It's almost like you
forgot you were in rcc. 8) Bill

Old November 4th 03, 05:03 AM
Bob Peterson

"BAJJERFAN" wrote in message
om...
"Dale Hallmark" dalehall.Not this
wrote in message
"BAJJERFAN" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Interesting you should mention dead horses. Front page story in todays
local rag. Seems a horse slaughtering plant is opening up about 30 miles
from to slaughter horses for sale in places horse meat is considered a
delicacy.

You can imagine the predictable complaints from the animal rights wackos.

My take - if we can eat cows and pigs, why not horses. I had some horse
meat once in belgium. I did not think it was all that great, but it was
meat.

Old November 4th 03, 12:25 PM
BAJJERFAN

"BAJJERFAN" wrote in message
om...
"Dale Hallmark" dalehall.Not this
wrote in message

"BAJJERFAN" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Well if I read your first post correctly you asked for an explanation
and I was merely giving one. My final words on the subject.

As for the horses thing wasn't there a meat shortage of some sort
about 30 years ago and horse meat was at least a little popular. I
even recall an episode of All In The Family where Edith server Archie
Bunker porterhorse steak.
Old November 4th 03, 07:20 PM
BobbyShaw

Listen..........

Olive oil has NO, NONE, ZIP, NADA "curative" or otherwise powers to clean a
coin. Never been shown to be "any more effective" than hominy grits, peanut
butter or especially, a simple soap (not detergent) and warm water soak,
followed by a distilled water rinse.

But don't take my ranting word for it. See the proof from one of RCC's own.
READ and return to dispel the gospel re olive oil, I implore you.

http://tinyurl.com/tc0u

AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH......

I was about to add my experiment site to the discussion, but you're explanation
summed it up nicely!

Still soaking though!
Robert Shaw
--
Does olive oil really help with corroded coins? Check out my experiment at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~robe294/o...xperiment.html