Anybody build pens?

Old April 12th 07, 08:43 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor

Default Anybody build pens?

Well not totally from scratch. I have built some and they are rather fun
to write with. They can be had in varying quality levels. Often with
iridium tips and titanium nitride gold plating if desired. I do give
some away to friends but I am the only one who really likes fountain
pens. I have two MB's but rather prefer my home made ones. They seem to
write just as well too!

John

Old April 13th 07, 03:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
The Visitor wrote:

I have built some... Often with
iridium tips and titanium nitride gold plating if desired.

I'm not a pen builder, but I'm interested by your reference to that "gold"
plating. I'd expect it more in the context of drill bits than pen nibs! Is
it for scratch resistance?

Brian

Old April 13th 07, 04:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor

Brian Ketterling wrote:

I'm not a pen builder, but I'm interested by your reference to that "gold"
plating. I'd expect it more in the context of drill bits than pen nibs! Is
it for scratch resistance?

It is for wear resistance from what I gather. I don't know too much
about it. Those kits sell for slightly more than just a gold plating.
I'm looking for some reference but of course now I can't find one. Other
plating description is" 24k gold tumble plating".

somewhat informative....
http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/plating.html
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/ca...lating101.html

At this place they refer to it just as TN plating.
http://tinyurl.com/2ro79f

nice site
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/

The pens you will see are pretty plain. Mine are much nicer!
I put on small details such as beads and coves and use very sharp
looking woods or shimmering acrylics. I have a wood lathe and thought I
would give pens a try. They are easy and fun, and write just fine.
Especially on ebay. Some have their own dedicated sites. I don't try to
sell them. People have tried doing that and some do really well. I am
just happy to give them away. They are easy and fun to make. I want to
try incorporating some carving into a pen one day.

John

Old April 13th 07, 10:53 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor

From, http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/plating.html

"Titanium Gold. This method produces extremely durable and the most
durable plating. This process is called PVD (particle vapor deposition).
Titanium nitride matched to the color of the gold is molecularly bonded
to the part and then 24K gold is bonded (sputtered) on the part to
achieve a color match to our other gold parts. The parts are again
re-plated after this. The final result is that the parts will virtually
never wear. We pioneered this process for writing instruments and are
not aware of another company using the exact process we use."

Brian Ketterling wrote:

I have built some... Often with