Question re. Tete-Beche

Old January 12th 05, 08:25 PM
Alan

Default Question re. Tete-Beche

Are stamps considered Tete-Beche even if they are divided by a center
gutter or only if the are attached directly to each other ?.
Thanks
Old January 12th 05, 09:22 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Alan" skrev i en meddelelse
.. .
Are stamps considered Tete-Beche even if they are divided by a center
gutter or only if the are attached directly to each other ?.
Thanks

I would believe only if they are attached directly to each other, since the
center gutter is often used in the production of booklets.
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old January 12th 05, 11:15 PM
Roger Smith

"Alan" wrote in message
.. .
Are stamps considered Tete-Beche even if they are divided by a center
gutter or only if the are attached directly to each other ?.
Thanks

I believe that they would be described as tete-beche simply to describe that
they were inverted with respect to one another - regardless of whether they
were separated by a gutter or not.

The fact that a pair of stamps is tete-beche does not of course imply any
special value - that depends entirely on the circumstances. That particular
orientation might be entirely normal in the issued sheets but if the
exisrence of the pair resulted from a failure to guillotine the sheet as
intended, then the item could be quite valuable.

I believe that the tete-beche variant of the 1929 1a definitive of India (SG
203) can exist with or without a dividing gutter. My copy has no gutter but
copies with the gutter can, I speculate, come only from the central columns
of the sheet and are less common as a result. Perhaps an expert in this
issue could advise?

Regards, Roger

Old January 13th 05, 12:14 AM
Alan

Roger Smith wrote:
"Alan" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Strangely enough, that is the stamp I am talking about !!
Alan
Old January 13th 05, 07:22 AM
DROGER Jean-Paul

Alan a pensé trčs fort :
Are stamps considered Tete-Beche even if they are divided by a center gutter

I think NO, I collect Switzerland where you have such stamps and
Zumstein doesn't tell those pairs as "tęte bęche" but as "se tenant"
with a gutter (pont in French, Zwischensteg in German)!!

or only if the are attached directly to each other

YES

have a nice day (here 8.20 am)

--
Jean-Paul DROGER (enlever "anti." et remplacer "ptt" par "wanadoo" pour
me joindre en perso; remove "anti." and replace "ptt" by "wanadoo" to

Old January 13th 05, 07:36 AM
Pierre COURTIADE

Alan wrote :

Strangely enough, that is the stamp I am talking about !!

He he he, Alan !

A world cruise ???

;-)

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

Old January 13th 05, 08:03 AM
Rodney

If the term had originated from bibliography, I'd suggest
the determinant would be that they be connected, in whichever way
and that one image be inverted.

Tęte-bęche(tet besh')
A form of binding in which the text of one work begins at the
"front" and the text of another at the "back," head to tail, with
the texts being inverted with respect to one another. Such a
volume usually includes two or more separate works or
versions of the same work(s). Synonymous with inverted
pages. Tęte-bęche example here. Compare with dos-a-dos.
Tęte-bęche is also a philately term for a pair of stamps,
one of which has been printed inverted.

Note: Tęte-bęche can also be spelled tete-beche

http://bibliomania.net/Glossary.html

.........and for those who may be interested in a members signature
Albumen

ALBUMEN PRINT
A photographic print made on paper on which egg whites
(albumen) are coated in order to increase the paper's
sensitivity and tonal qualities. The details of the albumen
print process were first published in 1858.
Egg whites were beaten to a froth and drops of a saturated
solution of potassium nitrate were added together with a
solution of silver nitrate.

Gustave Le Gray, Hunt & Pollack were early users of the
method which then dominated photography for the next
forty years. Albumen prints were the state of the art in
photography prints on paper from about 1855 until about 1895.

The range of tones and detail in the shadow area as well
as in the highlights is a special feature of this paper.
The tonal quality was sometimes better than that of
modern studio portrait prints.

An albumen print can always be identified by the sheen
on the paper surface due to "egginess" of the albumen mixture.

Old January 13th 05, 07:20 PM
A. van Reenen

I collect Netherlands and (former) colonies and in the Dutch "Speciale
Catalogus" tęte-bęche means that the stamps are directly attached to
eachother. If a gutter is present it is called "tęte-bęche with gutter".
Prices are quite different.
Well known example is 7,5 ct Queen Wilhelmina from 1924, which exists in
both ways.

Regards

Ton van Reenen

"DROGER Jean-Paul" schreef in bericht
Alan a pensé trčs fort :

Old January 13th 05, 08:20 PM
Roger Smith

"Rodney" wrote in message
If the term had originated from bibliography, I'd suggest
the determinant would be that they be connected, in whichever way
and that one image be inverted.

Tęte-bęche(tet besh')
A form of binding in which the text of one work begins at the
"front" and the text of another at the "back," head to tail, with
the texts being inverted with respect to one another. Such a
volume usually includes two or more separate works or
versions of the same work(s). Synonymous with inverted pages.

(snip)

Rodney

I believe we have seen this on occasion in the fashion supplements of some
of our newspapers. Starting from one end is everthing to do with mens
fashions and starting at the other end is everything to do with womens
fashions.

I have always been disappointed when the editor has not been more
imaginative in dealing with the meeting of the two ends in 69-fashion (so to
speak) in the middle.
:-)
Regards, Roger