Dollar coins incident.

Old April 4th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

Default Dollar coins incident.

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 03:50:36 +0000 (UTC), Paul Ciszek
wrote:

So, if we went back to a cupro-nickel sandwich for the dollar coin,
could it be the same size and shape as the current presidential
dollars (including the non-milled edge) and still pass in coin
acceptors?

Yup. They mandated that the fatal design flaw (the size) would be
kept, instead of recognizing that the size of the coin is the reason
it's not circulating.

Huh? Please elaborate...

Old April 5th 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 05:50:46 -0700 (PDT), shreadvector wrote:
On Apr 4, 4:59*am, Dave Hinz wrote:

Yup. *They mandated that the fatal design flaw (the size) would be kept,
instead of recognizing that the size of the coin is the reason it's not
circulating. *Copying the desgn element of something that made it fail
is a good way to guarantee the copy will also fail.

So, you think the dollar coin should be more than 43% larger than a
quarter?

Not about volume - they could have made it like the UK one pound coin,
about the diameter of a nickel, bout as thick as 2.5 of them stacked.
Big chunky brassy coins, unmistakable. That, would have been a good
configuration.

The SBA dollar and all of the Golden Dollars (Sacagawea and
Presidential) are 43% larger than a quarter. Just like a 143 pound bag
of cement is 43% larger than a 100 pound bag of cement.

Thanks for the basic math lesson but, I didn't bring up 43% larger
anywhere.

So, if they made them larger as you propose,

Perhaps you have confused me with someone else? I've mever proposed
larger, at least not in the direction you seem to be saying I have.

you think that everyone
would rush to use them because they are clamoring for a dollar coin
that weighs more and is physically larger (or, perhaps "huge")? That
is preposterous.

Sure. Which is why all those Morgan and Peace dollars don't have _any_
wear on them at all, and are rarely found in any circulated condition,
is that it?

Old April 6th 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Ciszek

wrote:
On Apr 4, 4:59*am, Dave Hinz wrote:

Yup. *They mandated that the fatal design flaw (the size) would be kept,
instead of recognizing that the size of the coin is the reason it's not
circulating. *Copying the desgn element of something that made it fail
is a good way to guarantee the copy will also fail.

So, you think the dollar coin should be more than 43% larger than a
quarter?

Not about volume - they could have made it like the UK one pound coin,
about the diameter of a nickel, bout as thick as 2.5 of them stacked.
Big chunky brassy coins, unmistakable. That, would have been a good
configuration.

What is the point of a dollar coin if you guarantee that it can never be
used in a vending machine?

There are plenty of vending machines out there right now that can take
dollar coins if you remove the plastic insert that reduces the coin slot
from dollar size to quarter size. (Some vending machine companies just
don't want to deal with "funny money" even if their machines are equipped
for it.) Making a coin thicker than any the US has ever issued would
require a redesign of the entire coin path.

The vending machines where I work now take dollar coins. I find it
very convenient, and I am actually spending more of the coins than
ever before.

Contrast this to the lunchroom at another place of employment, which
thought it would be a good idea to sell cans of ravioli, etc. out of
a vending machine for over a dollar each. Not a bad idea, and I would
have bought some, but the machine did not take dollar bills, did not
take dollar coins, and there was no change machine in the lunchroom.
The food machine went away after a few weeks, with no sales. Duh.

--
Please reply to: | President Bush is promoting Peace and Democracy
pciszek at panix dot com | in the Middle East by selling Weapons to the
Old April 7th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 16:37:29 +0000 (UTC), Paul Ciszek wrote:

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

Not about volume - they could have made it like the UK one pound coin,
about the diameter of a nickel, bout as thick as 2.5 of them stacked.
Big chunky brassy coins, unmistakable. That, would have been a good
configuration.

What is the point of a dollar coin if you guarantee that it can never be
used in a vending machine?

Maybe our UK friends can tell us if vending machines take 1 Pound coins.
What makes you think it couldn't be? If it can handle a nickel, why
couldn't it handle something about the same size and thicker?

There are plenty of vending machines out there right now that can take
dollar coins if you remove the plastic insert that reduces the coin slot
from dollar size to quarter size. (Some vending machine companies just
don't want to deal with "funny money" even if their machines are equipped
for it.) Making a coin thicker than any the US has ever issued would
require a redesign of the entire coin path.

I understand that. They don't circulate much because people don't like
'em. People don't like 'em, I think, because the SBA was too close to a
dollar, and the golden ones suffer from social inertia as a result of
that bad decision. The mint missed a "golden" opportunity to rework the
dollar coin when the SacBuck came out, but instead, they copied the
fundamental design flaw which made the SBA fail, so that it would be
compatible with that design flaw.

The vending machines where I work now take dollar coins. I find it
very convenient, and I am actually spending more of the coins than
ever before.

Never said I don't use 'em, machines where I work give & take them as
well.

Contrast this to the lunchroom at another place of employment, which
thought it would be a good idea to sell cans of ravioli, etc. out of
a vending machine for over a dollar each. Not a bad idea, and I would
have bought some, but the machine did not take dollar bills, did not
take dollar coins, and there was no change machine in the lunchroom.
The food machine went away after a few weeks, with no sales. Duh.

Hard to see how that's relevant to coin design, sounds more like
mismanagement to me.

Old April 7th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Paul Ciszek" wrote in message

wrote:
[...]

I don't think the convenience of spending dollar coins has ever been an
issue. Undoubtedly easier than bills when it comes to coin-op machines.
IMO, it's more the relative inconvenience of obtaining them in the first
place that keeps them out of the mainstream.

Old April 7th 08, 07:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Harper[_3_]

Yes, I used one & two pound coins in Coke and snack machines when I stayed
at a London Hilton last year.

Old April 7th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
shreadvector

On Apr 6, 11:21*pm, "Ed Harper" wrote:
Yes, I used one & two pound coins in Coke and snack machines when I stayed
at a London Hilton last year.

Of course they take them. I used them in a Coke machine and for the
fare machine for the Underground and for the bus. Of course, the coin
mechanism is completely different in their machines, not just a simple
reprogramming job for the hundreds of thousands of USA vending
machines. It would require replacing the coin mechanisms as well as
retrofitting parts of the outside of the machine.

Virtually all vending machines made for and sold in the USA since 1979
can accept the USAs small dollar coins. If the face plate is too
small, it is a VERY old machine and can be fixed with a little filing.
Most modern machines have a sliding plate that can be adjusted to
limit coin diameter, but the widest coin they can accommodate is the
current dollar coin.
Old April 7th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Duh_Oz

On Apr 2, 7:04 pm, clarkent wrote:

Any body else get a dollar coin in circulation?
--

======
Nope, but I had a chance when saw a presidential buck in the register

Back in the day I used to get Susan B's instead of quarters :-) I
probably used a few as quarters myself.
Old April 7th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
A.E. Gelat

What is the context? Was there a problem? You need to give more
information when posting anything.

Tony

Old April 7th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

All the new pepsi/gatorade machines near me have a slot big enough for
the half-dollar, but it falls straight into the coin return.

100 dollar coins kathy1945 Coins 12 February 24th 07 03:52 PM
Incident at coin shop leads to threat with knife, man dragged by a car stonej Coins 0 April 27th 06 02:23 PM
Fountain pen used as a lethal weapon in road rage incident Ron Wilbanks Pens & Pencils 41 May 30th 05 10:37 PM
DVD set:Complete SUPERBOWL38 /c UNCUT STREAKER Incident,+ Janet,commercials,etc! Who64 Football (US) 0 February 3rd 04 07:36 PM
Dollar Coins ?SBA/GD Malanutt 4 Life Coins 11 January 12th 04 04:27 PM