Salem Witch Trials -- a long shot

Old October 19th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
A.E. Gelat

Default Salem Witch Trials -- a long shot

Thanks for the explanation.

Tony

"rodney" wrote in message

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
I know this may be off-topic, but does anybody know the origin of the
expression "two-cents' worth?"
Tony

"My two cents" and its longer version "put my two cents in" is
an American idiomatic expression used to preface the stating of
one's opinion. By deprecating the opinion to follow —
suggesting its value is only two cents, a very small amount —
the user of the phrase hopes to lessen the impact of a possibly
contentious statement, showing politeness and humility.
Though sometimes it's used with irony when expressing a
strongly felt opinion. The phrase is also used out of habit to
preface uncontentious opinions.

For example: "If I may put my two cents in, that hat doesn't do
you any favors." (More polite way of saying, for example: That
hat is ugly.) An example of the shortened version: "My two
cents is that you should sell that stock now."

The phrase originates in betting card games, such as poker. In
these games, one must make a small bet, or ante, before
beginning play. Thus, the phrase makes an analogy between
entering the game and entering a conversation.

"Two cents" and its variations may also be used in place of the
noun "opinion" or the verb phrase "state [subject's] opinion",
e.g. "You had to put your two cents in, didn't you?"

Old October 19th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
A.E. Gelat

Thanks, Blair

Tony

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 19, 12:39 am, "rodney" wrote:
"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message

[...]

It also corresponds to the British phrase "my penny's worth".
For many years 1d sterling equated to 2c (US or Canadian).
I wonder which phrase came first.

Blair

Old October 23rd 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

Thanks for everyone's pennies. Are those Canadian or U.S. pennies.
Canadian, I hope! I'm enjoying the newfound privilege of buying
philatelic stuff in U.S. dollars. Cheap damn things! Of coure, my VA
pension has gone down considerably as a result.... :-(

About the witches of Salem. Thanks for your help. I've asked my wife
to write a short summary of my family's involvement in the Salem Witch
Trials. When she's done so, I'll post it here. In return, you have to
promise to keep looking for Salem covers for me!

Bob

Old October 23rd 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 23, 12:29 pm, Bobstamp wrote:
Thanks for everyone's pennies. Are those Canadian or U.S. pennies.
Canadian, I hope! I'm enjoying the newfound privilege of buying
philatelic stuff in U.S. dollars. Cheap damn things! Of coure, my VA
pension has gone down considerably as a result.... :-(

About the witches of Salem. Thanks for your help. I've asked my wife
to write a short summary of my family's involvement in the Salem Witch
Trials. When she's done so, I'll post it here. In return, you have to
promise to keep looking for Salem covers for me!

Bob

Hi Bob:

Were your family the "burners" or the "burnees" ?

8*)

Blair

Old October 23rd 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Oct 18, 5:22 pm, Bobstamp wrote:
I hve a skeleton in my family closet: Some of my ancestors
participated in the persecution of women and children in the infamous
Salem Witch Trials. One of my relatives, by marriage, Sarah Good (also
spelled Goode) was actually hanged, and her five-year-old daughter was
briefly imprisoned with her before the hanging.

It would be interesting to obtain a cover from Salem at or near the
time of the trials. It would of course be a stampless cover. What are
my chances?

Bob Ingraham

Hi Bob:

Here is a Salem document for you. (no envelope though) I suspect
that they folded it and addressed it on the backi. It is a request
the authorities to commence the Salem witch trials.

http://www.momentsintime.com/sgw%20BBBBBB.jpg

The seller is requesting US $150 K for it.

Blair