E-Bay Coin Prices

Old May 9th 05, 03:21 PM
PC

"Michael R" mrcoinatcomcastdotnet wrote in message

Just curious how that could be done:

"all the sellers have got together, and are trying to robb the
private collector, and buyer."

Any evidence would be helpful.

While he is at it how about something specific? An example perhaps?

Old May 9th 05, 03:24 PM
PC

"James Higby" heezerbumfrool[at]hotmail[dot]com wrote in message

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
hlink.net...

The next regularly scheduled meeting of dealers to rob the collectors

will
be at my house on the 11th at 7pm. Please don't be late.

Wes

I'll be unable to attend, but please carry my proxy vote of "YES"

I really want a hot tub in the back yard so let's jack up prices even more!

Old May 10th 05, 03:53 AM
ronrpk

Awesome,, gotta love the free market. Viva la capitalism :-)

On Sun, 8 May 2005 17:08:40 -0500, wrote:

Thanks Jim for your comment.
That was my whole point to sellers.
I spent alot of money on E-Bay.
Sooner or later they will get the point.
I am not buying, and I know many collectors have quit.
I guess when they can't sell there coins they will wise up.

gcartright

"Jim Higgins" wrote in message

wrote in message ...
Do any of you collectors know what has happened to E-Bay coin prices.

I have purchased many coins on E-Bay.

It looks like all the sellers have got together, and are trying to robb
the private collector, and buyer.

I have started going to my local coin shop to buy, and he is more
reasonable.

Come on Sellers, get with it.

PUT OUT
gcartright

I would think the onus would be on the buyer willing to pay too much. No
one can order a buyer to plunk down the denarii for a coin.

-- Ron K
Old May 11th 05, 05:11 AM

I really believed that you all where adults in business.
Your remarks show me that you are not.
I base my prices from many places, such as the red book for 2005, and
dealers that are in the business to sell coins.
http://www.bulliondirect.com/index.jsp,
http://208.55.3.192/cgi-local/shopce...D=PUT_SID_HERE,
http://www.coinworld.com/, http://www.acsb.com/
http://www.mintproducts.com/index.as...S&Category=206
http://smyrnacoin.com/
http://www.nwcoin.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=761
http://www.nwcoin.com/catalog/produc...roducts_id=761
http://www.thebulliondesk.com/
http://www.coin-books.com/

I could go on and on.

I really am suprised at your responses.
I have your e-mail addresses, and you have mine.
There is one important thing to remember------The buyer don't have to buy
from you .
I buy from all over the world, and you all are the only ones that have it
all figured out.
Forget the buyer.

gcartright

"Anita" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 May 2005 01:06:10 GMT, "Wes Chormicle"
wrote:

The next regularly scheduled meeting of dealers to rob the collectors will
be at my house on the 11th at 7pm. Please don't be late.

Wes

I'll bring the chips and beer... and the data on price fixing :-P

Anita

Old May 11th 05, 05:42 AM
Anita

On Tue, 10 May 2005 23:11:21 -0500, wrote:
,,,
I really am suprised at your responses.
I have your e-mail addresses, and you have mine.
There is one important thing to remember------The buyer don't have to buy
from you .
I buy from all over the world, and you all are the only ones that have it
all figured out.
Forget the buyer.

gcartright

I never forget the buyer. The truth is that I lose money on almost as
many coins that I make money on, and most coins carry a small profit.
You are probably collecting certain types of coins that are being sold
for more now.

No offense was intended. Some auction places do have coins that are
very expensive and much more than I am willing to pay. I just look at
the coins without bidding. I know that one will come along that is in
my price range.

If all coins went for Red Book and other recorded values, coin sellers
would be comfortable. Often those numbers are well above what a seller
receives. For common date Morgans and Peace dollars in average
uncirculated condition, the prices stay low. For Australian and
Canadian coins, the prices stay low. These are the things I am
familiar with selling, so I can definitely say the prices are not
high. Which coins are you looking to buy?

Anita
Old May 11th 05, 05:55 AM
PC

wrote in message ...
I really believed that you all where adults in business.
Your remarks show me that you are not.

No offense was intended. I think people were just having fun at the notion
that there was this back room planning going on to fix prices on e-Bay. In
fact you never asserted as much; only stated that it *seemed* like it was
going on. Perhaps some took offense to that but I thought it was all in
good fun.

The bottom line is prices are where they are because people are paying it.
If no one ever bids on the prices that coins are listed at when the starting
bid is on the high side then only a fool of a seller would continue to list
them that way.

For many coins starting an auction at .01 or .99 is simply unthinkable. For
example, Ira could end up in the poor house after visiting just one show!
:-)

I hope that helped.

Old May 11th 05, 08:01 AM
Jerry Dennis

[...]

I just checked most of your sites, and they seem to be all for sales,
not auctions. If you really want to know current values, check
completed auctions on the many auction sites (e.g., ebay, yahoo, etc.),
Heritage, Graysheet, Trends and other sites.

You sound like you took a beating on coins as an investment.
Congratulations on violating one of the major rules of coin
collecting... it's a hobby; not an investment.

If you want to be optimistic and get your dreams smashed into little
pieces, use the Red Book, PCGS Price Guide and any printed price guide
book. They're all out of date by publishing date. And even though
PCGS claims to update their price guide regularly, it ain't happenin'.
Want proof? Check out their price for a 1970-D Kennedy half in MS-65.
I've watched that one coin now for about five years. It lists for $10.
I'll buy as many as you have to sell for $10 each. Why? They sell
for an average of $40-$50 each.

I'm not a dealer. I'm a collector, I know what I like and how much I'd
be willing to pay for any particular coin. If I lose out in one
auction, and it's happened more than I care to remember, so what?
Another will come along before too long.

If you think ebay prices are fixed, be a capitalist and DON'T BUY
there. Simple.

Jerry