Magical Fruit

Old April 8th 04, 02:53 PM
PENMART01

Default Magical Fruit

BLACK BEAN SOUP WITH CHIPOTLE CHILES
A dollop of yogurt adds a creamy richness and cuts the heat of the chiles.

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium-size red onions, chopped
1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 teaspoons ground cumin
1 16-ounce package dried black beans
1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chiles*
7 cups hot water
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup chopped seeded plum tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Heat olive oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and
both bell peppers and sauté until beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add
garlic and cumin; stir 1 minute. Transfer mixture to 6-quart slow cooker. Add
beans and chipotles, then 7 cups hot water. Cover and cook on high until beans
are very tender, about 6 hours. Transfer 2 cups bean mixture to blender; puree
until smooth. Return puree to remaining soup in slow cooker. Stir in lime
juice, salt, and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls. Spoon dollop of yogurt into each bowl. Sprinkle with
tomatoes and cilantro and serve.

*Chipotle chiles canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo, are
available at Latin American markets and many supermarkets.

Test-kitchen tip: Add richness to slow-cooker soups by using a mixture of half
broth and half water instead of only water.

Bon Appétit
March 2004

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old April 8th 04, 03:39 PM
QuarterHorseman

Hey, somebody stole my formula for wallpaper remover!
Old April 9th 04, 02:42 PM
Penny Howland

thanks for the recipe, looks great and easy...except for the puree part...I
may skip that--I know that is great from lots of soups though.

Old April 9th 04, 08:44 PM
Penny Howland

To the pen and recipe newsgroup

Whee, wasn't that easy, lots of little stuff to get together but my gawd it
looks and smells good. anything with cumin, garlic and onion, lime can't be
bad. I like sour cream on top instead of yogurt. I put the plumb tomatoes
in with whole mix to cook for the 6 hours. Hope this is ok. Anyway,
can't be bad. Oh, and I love "hot" but those are bout the hottest peppers I
have every tasted...at least the sauce is. I licked my finger after I was
done...yeeeeeow.